What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went back out for an appointment to get blood drawn for some scheduled tests. Results are in: I'm gonna live.

When I opened my eyes and woke up from a major surgery (have big scars to prove it), I knew I was going to live.

The only question was for how long. That took a while to answer.

It's almost 7 years, and counting.

Got the wood shed restocked today. Looking forward to 5.5 inches of snow on Thursday.

All the parts came in today for a 360 degree shower curtain so I can have a temporary shower in my house even though I cannot finish the shower walls until the electrical inspection and final framing inspection are done. I also strung an electrical line through the floor joists over to the hot water heater. I'm hoping to be all set up for hot showers in my house tomorrow. I won't have to venture out to the Ranch House (our community building) for showers any more. A few city folks are starting filter in here at the Ranch...

I made a quick grocery run, there was some of many things but no paper, disinfectants....

Had a conference call with the attorney groups representing claimants against Megacorp. There's about 450 former co-w*rkers who are all in this. It was interesting to see some old names; some haven't changed! I was amazed to hear the details of the incompetence of Megacorp's management. I'd never been part of anything that successfully reclaimed any serious amount of money but who knows. I like the approach the team is using I hope it works. I suffered a 6 figure loss some lost a lot more money than me.

When I opened my eyes and woke up from a major surgery (have big scars to prove it), I knew I was going to live.

The only question was for how long. That took a while to answer.

It's almost 7 years, and counting.

Great to hear! It's nice to dodge those bullets. :)

I'm the master of implants with both hips now, plus some steel in my left forearm and left shoulder from an "almost deadly" car wreck 35 years ago.

Renewed my concealed carry license today. They make it easy to do online now, so that was a break.
Went out for a long walk and noticed that traffic, both foot and vehicle, was down considerably from Monday. I'd say less than 50% of normal.

Had an email from an old friend in his 80s, who wondered why all the commotion about quarantine. "Anyone in his right mind would have stocked up on food weeks ago, so what's the big deal?", he wrote.

I renewed my pistol permit last month. It doesn't actually expire until the end of May, but you can renew 90 days in advance, and I had a feeling this lockdown would be in our future. Sure enough, the State Police announced today that they would not be processing renewals.

Our long term stocking up was done years ago. I went to the grocery this morning for some fresh milk, eggs, cheese, fruits and vegetables, which should hold us easily for the next two weeks. We'll reevaluate whether to go back out then or just suck it up and dig into our canned/frozen/dried supplies.

We ordered a hot lunch delivered from our favorite restaurant. F said that for safety the gloved deliveryman did not even walk close to him but just stood at the curb holding the bag with outstretched arm. They only take credit cards (by phone) now, so there was no lengthy contact while paying, either.

After that, he did three loads of laundry over here (since his washer is broken). We sat and chatted about what the future of the world might be, and watched some youtubes together. I pointed out that the governor hinted that we might possibly be headed for total lock down soon. So then we talked about what that might mean, and how we would manage if we are faced with further restrictions. He has a level head and had some good ideas.

We ordered a hot lunch delivered from our favorite restaurant. F said that for safety the gloved deliveryman did not even walk close to him but just stood at the curb holding the bag with outstretched arm. They only take credit cards (by phone) now, so there was no lengthy contact while paying, either.

I've been avoiding restaurant food, as someone has to make it, and nobody knows what happens in the kitchen. It's been a couple weeks since we ate anything one of us didn't cook. It's been really hard, but we're just that paranoid. The grocery store and mail are going to be our only point of contact with the world for awhile.

Except of course for my emergency visit to the bank yesterday. But that's not happening again.

We have not been going out to eat at all but I am getting tired of meal planning so we might get take out tomorrow or not ?

Went to get take out at a favorite local restaurant. Called in the order, she said I could either go in and pay/pick up, or they would bring it to my car. I asked which she preferred and she said "either, no body is in here right now."

Drove out, walked in. All chairs are flipped up on the tables. No one in there except two that usually serve (its a counter order place) and the kitchen staff. Gave my name to the rubber glove wearing girl at the counter. She pointed to the credit card reader facing me, seeming to avoid wanting to touch my card. She said that I could either wait inside, or in my car, but if inside I couldn't sit down.

I said "weird, huh?" and asked about how may customers they had had today. She said they typically had done very little take out business, but "regular customers" (like me) were ordering.

I tipped 25%.

Hope they do OK.

Yesterday DD was working hard at getting me to cancel my dentist appointment as too risky. Today she called and I listened to her rant about how stupid this was and that all her co-workers in the entertainment industry were unemployed just as the meager winter season was ending and their busy season should be starting. Now she says this whole thing is total over reaction. BTW, she's 8 months pregnant. :)
The dentist called me and cancelled my appointment yesterday. My Ranch Board meeting is going ahead tomorrow via Skype. The bar and grill we normally meet at is closed. I got the electric hot water tank wiring hooked up so I have hot water and the shower curtain rod and curtain installed and the shower head hooked up so the shower should work. I will test it tomorrow.

Woke up to a nice 6" of new snowfall a much welcome treat. We are supposed to have a chance for some most of next week. With highs in the 50s its going to be sloppy.

Went out for a walk around our neighborhood and walked down here.

Happy Spring to all : 20200319_140309.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to my local supermarket today to take advantage off Senior's hours. They opened at 7 AM, and I was there at about 6:45 and was third in line.
The bread and TP shelves were empty, as were the eggs. Plenty of produce, meat, etc. Also there was no flour.
DW was concerned about people stealing food from us. I told her not to worry, as we are in a +55 park and nobody has anything.

The big event of the day was the FedEx truck pulling up and the driver delivering a new 12-gallon Ridgid shop vac and some accessories that I'd ordered from Home Depot. Be still my beating heart! It was delivered early enough, and the trash truck came late enough, that I was able to flatten the box and get it out front in time for it to be taken away.

DW has what I think is some minor bug unrelated to COVID-19 but I'll of course be paying close attention to her.

I have an excess of gym equipment, mostly dumbbells (about 6 pairs) and a dumbbell rack. I can get by with a two sets of spinlocks and a couple hundred pounds of plates.

So I've gathered the excess together and listed them on the internet for sale. I figure now is a good time to sell them as so many people are wary of going to the gym.

We came back yesterday afternoon from our RV excursion as today was predicted to be rainy (which it is) and I hate breaking camp in the rain. It was really nice to be away, and social distancing is easy in a campground. Texas state parks are still open but without services such as stores, rentals, and programs. Hope they stay that way as it's a great way to relieve the current stress.

Went to the grocery store first thing and got most of what was on my list. Unfortunately, the available meats/poultry did not match my menu planning, but that's minor in the scheme of things.

Now tackling my to-do list:
- get trip insurance from the Holy Land trip I was supposed to be on this week changed to the rescheduled trip this time next year
- order a new water filter for the fridge (not worth going out to Lowe's for it)
- figure out where/when/how to take DH's wheelchair van to find out why it's draining the battery (just bought a new one last week and it's dead as a doornail already),
- figure out if garage door that won't close consistently needs repair or just cleaning,
- order replacement doorknob for door from house into garage as the latch isn't working properly and hopefully find a YouTube video on how to install it so I don't have to try to find a handyman. I can also get DS on FaceTime as he is in the middle of a self-imposed 14-day isolation since he went to a big wedding last Saturday before everything shut down. The happy couple will certainly have special memories of their wedding day!

Here are a few wildflower pics from our trip to brighten your day (with some wildlife as a bonus) :flowers:
(Sorry they are sideways)

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

Interesting conversation with a neighbor today (at a 15 foot distance). We've been having some nice Spring-like weather, so DW and I have been going out for a run or a walk every day. But the neighbor is miserable because he's about ten years older and "there's no place to walk indoors because everything is closed." We have sidewalks everywhere and it's a quiet, peaceful neighborhood, but he needs an indoor venue like a shopping mall to do his walking. I hope I don't get to that point when I'm his age.

The weather is pleasantly warm today so I worked a bit more on the front porch drainage issue, making progress but slowly because I can only work on it for 15 minutes or so at a time because my back starts hurting. But the high today was 74°! Yay, I'll take that for mid-March.

That Dustopper thingy works great. Although seemingly a bit pricey for what it is, just plastic parts, whoever designed/marketed/sold it deserves to be compensated for their "better mousetrap". There was very little dust downstream from the Dustopper - I'm impressed, and the five-gallon bucket had the bulk of the dust in it. Very little was in the tub of the shop vac.

Attachments

• porch grinding (1 of 3).jpg
    porch grinding (1 of 3).jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 43
  • porch grinding (3 of 3).jpg
    porch grinding (3 of 3).jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 40
I have been doing a lot more on line shopping than normal. I ordered some more stuff for my just-set-up shower. I ordered a case of hydraulic fluid for the snow plow from Amazon. I did a cart on line at the grocery store for my normal weekly shoping. I think I will wait until Monday to do the checkout and go in then to pick it up. We had well over a foot of snow yesterday so the plow has been through some very deep snow today. Everything has been plowed.

That Dustopper thingy works great. Although seemingly a bit pricey for what it is, just plastic parts, whoever designed/marketed/sold it deserves to be compensated for their "better mousetrap". There was very little dust downstream from the Dustopper - I'm impressed, and the five-gallon bucket had the bulk of the dust in it. Very little was in the tub of the shop vac.

Yep. I bought an Oneida Dust Deputy about 5 years ago. Same concept, probably more expensive because there weren't any knock offs available back then. But I haven't had to clean my shop vac filter once in the entire 5 years. It works great.

I use mine mostly for sawdust. I would expect some of that concrete dust to make it through to the vac. But it's still a cool item. Now you need to build yourself a cart for it all. The one I built is like this one, although a little more primitive.

DW just coined our situation here in Southern California. She called it "house arrest" without the ankle monitor.

Now you need to build yourself a cart for it all. The one I built is like this one, although a little more primitive.

Yes! I've seen a couple of similar designs for that on youtube and even ordered the second 90° elbow from Dustopper yesterday. But I'm debating whether to drive to Home Depot or Lowes and get the fixin's or try to do it all online and have it delivered. I'd like to take some parts with me to make sure it's all going to fit together, and if I get the wrong stuff that makes a simple project a royal pain. But it's not like it's some emergency and I'm in the high-risk group so I'm inclined to just wait a few months and see how this shakes out with the virus.

I understand completely. The newest issue of Family Handyman has a neat plan for a Murphy bed that folds up into a desk. Very similar to this one It's a cool design, and would work perfectly to make the room where our dogs sleep more human-usable. But I'm not going in to buy the plywood and other supplies needed for it. Even though it would be a great way to burn some time while in lockdown. Oh well.

Another beautiful day here, on the second day of Spring. The sun is shining, currently watching tv with DGS, will go outside and play in the sandbox soon. Easy to be isolated with him around! :)

Went to the store this morning for the first time in a week because we were running low on eggs. Looked like any other Saturday morning -- no big crowds, no panic buying (although one woman had her cart piled high with cases of Mountain Dew :facepalm: ).

In the whole (very large) Kroger store I saw just one person, a customer, wearing a mask. Shelves were not as fully stocked as usual, but there was a decent selection of everything as far as I could tell.

There were signs all over the entrance (Don't enter if you're sick, etc.) and signs near the checkouts about limits on certain things (no more than 2 cartons of eggs per person, etc.) but that's to be expected.

Overall, it was a pleasant shopping experience. All I needed was eggs and some cheese, so a short trip. I won't need to go back again for at least another week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom