What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
i spent...am still here...most of the day at a local clinic and now at an ER for a non C19 but urgent medical condition. still waiting for test results. never got to bite off the head of my chocolate bunny this morning.

Hope your good health returns soon.

Kind of a surrealistic experience today.
We had a trip planned for late June to do the half marathon in Anchorage. Got all the cancellations taken care of easily, except for the Alaska Air flights. Went to their website and found that I could only cancel by a phone call. That seemed strange, but OK. :facepalm:

Called them up and after stating my issue ("Cancel reservation") the roboagent said there was a long wait but I could take care of it right away by text messaging. OK, that's fine.

Immediately got a text from an agent and went through the whole thing with him by text. Then after he said they would give me credit but minus $250 in cancellation fees, he suddenly said "due to privacy concerns we can't handle cancellations by text. Please use our website or call this phone number." :facepalm:

Then they immediately wanted me to fill out a survey on how much I liked their text support. Boy, did they ever find out! :mad:

Called in again and had to tell the robot three times that I did not want to use their text system. Waited half an hour for the human to call, but it was painless. All done in about a minute with 100% credit for future flights, no cancellation fee.

What a strange system they have. Is Alaska Air growing too rapidly?

Kind of a surrealistic experience today.
We had a trip planned for late June to do the half marathon in Anchorage. Got all the cancellations taken care of easily, except for the Alaska Air flights. Went to their website and found that I could only cancel by a phone call. That seemed strange, but OK. :facepalm:

Called them up and after stating my issue ("Cancel reservation") the roboagent said there was a long wait but I could take care of it right away by text messaging. OK, that's fine.

Immediately got a text from an agent and went through the whole thing with him by text. Then after he said they would give me credit but minus $250 in cancellation fees, he suddenly said "due to privacy concerns we can't handle cancellations by text. Please use our website or call this phone number." :facepalm:

Then they immediately wanted me to fill out a survey on how much I liked their text support. Boy, did they ever find out! :mad:

Called in again and had to tell the robot three times that I did not want to use their text system. Waited half an hour for the human to call, but it was painless. All done in about a minute with 100% credit for future flights, no cancellation fee.

What a strange system they have. Is Alaska Air growing too rapidly?
I often wonder if companies do that deliberately as an attempt to discourage complaints or requests for refunds.

Usually, though, it's Hanlon's razor.

Rode my recumbent trike about 15 miles in the morning and spotted a couple of owl young that are still in down, a couple of pileated woodpeckers, and a white-eyed vireo. Came home and baked a loaf of bread, watched a movie (Nacho Libre), and read a little before making dinner. Pretty much the daily routine nowdays.

Cheers!

As I previously said,we had a reported tornado on the ground within 2 or 3 miles of us. We were watching it on our phones radar when it jumped up and over us sunday night. It dropped back down a few miles east of us. There were at least 7 people killed and several injured as it tore through the county then. We had some damage to trees but I'm thankful that is all.

Last edited:
Very scary, Venturer. Glad you are OK.

I just swept snow off the front deck. It was drifted to about 8 inches. It has been very cold and snowy especially for this time of year. We have between 10 and 12 inches of snow in the last 3 days. It is melting on the roads so no need to plow. The wood stove is running on high and all is good. I would not want to venture out today even if I could.

I went to Target and found the shelves full of paper towels, Kleenex, toilet paper, gloves. I only wanted toilet paper and gloves. Despite long lines to enter because restricting the number in the store, I was in and out in under 30 minutes (got lost finding velcro so I hit the wine aisle)

I mixed up a big jar of mixed nuts. I buy the Costco mixed nuts and add some macadamia nuts, pistachios, and hazel nuts.

Woke up to find no water at the faucets. Being on a well, this was my problem. Checked the usual stuff and then called the well guy. Turned out to be a tree frog suicide inside the control box at the well head. Today, I'll seal that box.

Called my bond broker and had him send me the thirty grand in cash that had accumulated. That will help with the landscaping project.

I mixed up a big jar of mixed nuts. I buy the Costco mixed nuts and add some macadamia nuts, pistachios, and hazel nuts.

I do the same thing, except instead of pistachios and hazels, I add more almonds and cashews, sometimes pecans. Gotta have the macadamias though!

Nuts are my guilty pleasure. A handful every day, but sometimes it's a bigger handful than other days. :facepalm:

More cleaning stuff. We (well, mostly I) disassembled "the office" that has the main desktop computer, bookcases, desk, records and other miscellaneous stuff that it takes to run a household and cleaned the carpeting. The carpet is still somewhat damp and we'll put everything back together tomorrow after it dries. I had no idea that dust bunnies could get that big behind the desk!

Called my bond broker and had him send me the thirty grand in cash that had accumulated. That will help with the landscaping project.

Robbie don't ever change, the day you start stashing money and quit blowin the dough, the sky will be falling.....

More cleaning stuff. We (well, mostly I) disassembled "the office" that has the main desktop computer, bookcases, desk, records and other miscellaneous stuff that it takes to run a household and cleaned the carpeting. The carpet is still somewhat damp and we'll put everything back together tomorrow after it dries. I had no idea that dust bunnies could get that big behind the desk!

I've wanted to do stuff like this all week, but it's been a very low motivation week for me so far. It's the first week I've felt stuck in the mud..I'm going to do better today, I hope....:cool:

I dyed the young wife's roots this morning and lived to tell about it.

However, she has concluded that the color is too light and has ordered the next darker shade, so I may get to do it again if the salon doesn't reopen soon.

I dyed the young wife's roots this morning and lived to tell about it.

However, she has concluded that the color is too light and has ordered the next darker shade, so I may get to do it again if the salon doesn't reopen soon.

You have achieved a level of trust from your DW that I will never achieve from mine.

You have achieved a level of trust from your DW that I will never achieve from mine.
I'm sure it was sheer desperation.

Played pickleball with a dozen others for three hours this morning. Then went to lunch with friends. Tomorrow a group of us are going whitewater kayaking.

Not really. I’m just pretending. Those are things I would be doing in a normal April.

What I really did: sewing, reading, yoga, cleaned the bathroom, played games on the iPad.

Rained today, hard. Rode indoors on my spin bike. Got a letter from the IRS, heart sank ...only to find out they couldn’t debit my account so I had to use IRS Direct pay for my taxes.
Started to scan stone catalogs in order to pick out our fireplace and foyer stone for our new house.
Light house chores followed by a walk after the rain.
Opened a good bottle of wine.
Zoom fun tonight with the family.

Gave my very pretty dog a bath then blow dried her fur. Read a nonfiction book, listened to music, sat in the garden, ate a delicious home cooked lunch.

I finished up stacking firewood today (small rounds, and previously split lengths). My front end loader bucket is 60" wide, and will hold about 4 days worth of firewood that we use exclusively for heat in Northern Ohio (still burning at 42* today). Yesterday, and today, I stacked 24 FEL loads, which accounts for about 2/3 of what I need for the year.

Last year with all the rain/mud, I didn't start cutting/splitting until June, so way ahead of last year...I cut/split all of this in January. (Mostly dead/fallen Ash trees on my property).

It's supposed to snow 3-5" starting in the morning.

The young wife and I gave blood today, because it is still needed even when we're all isolated. They took our temperature at the door and masks were required for everyone. If you didn't already have one (we did) they had one to give you. They had spaced out the beds and the waiting chairs to be 6 feet apart. We got several squirts of hand sanitizer as we went through the process. One thing I noticed was that the blood pressure cuff did not receive any cleaning, although stethoscope did. I asked the woman drawing my blood whether business was down. She said no, that people were still coming out to donate.

I became a Grandpa today! It wasn't much effort on my part. All I had to do was wait for the news. Mom and son are doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom