What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mowed/bagged all the leaves that have fallen on my lawn since Tropical Storm Isaias barreled through here three weeks ago. It looked like November out there. Amazing the damage that high velocity, salt-laden wind can do to foliage, even aside from knocking the trees down all over the neighborhood.

Got up at 5:30 AM for a doctor appointment 60 miles away. DW got up we had a nice breakfast and I left at 7:30. When I went to check in the gal looked at me funny said she didn't think the provider I was seeing was in today! She wasn't, my appointment is next Monday at 8:45! Good thing I know where it's at[emoji16]. It was a nice drive.

A new Harbor Freight store opened not too far away so I went to see on the way to Lowes for some other things. Neat place, and I thought I showed admirable restraint and only bought two items, one of which I actually plan to use in the near future. One was a hole saw kit and the other was a three-jaw wheel puller, which I have wished mightily for in the past. And of course I had a 20% off Super Coupon with me.

I'd ordered stuff from Harbor Freight via catalog (which they are discontinuing) in the distant past but I'd never set foot in a store until today. A "tool nut" type guy with a credit card and not much self-discipline could get into serious trouble in that store.

Interesting morning. When I went to get breakfast the Tesla had an error charging last night. First time that's happened and I hadn't a clue where to start other than getting my breakfast. I knew it got an upgrade to the software last night and the charging was interrupted sometime later. After searching through online forums I realized my Tesla wall charger was never configured to be on our home network and it apparently needed a firmware update.

The online documentation suggested how to do it except the password for the device wasn't provided. Said it was on the side of the device, yeah not so much. After chatting with a guy I got to the right area they were able to provide all the missing information. He confirmed the thought the updated software needed the firmware update and he pushed the update to the device. It's added 10kwh since I plugged it so I guess it's working.

Put title in safe deposit box while DW talked to a realtor about buying the lot next door to our house. It's never been developed and DW would like it to stay that way. Apparently it's owned by an divorced couple who still jointly own it. I think maybe we should leave well enough alone but DW wants to buy it.

Last week a friend mailed me some Orgeat. An unexpected surprise!
It's a rainy day with oppressive humidity, so we spent the afternoon trying to concoct the perfect Mai-Tai. Results are promising. More research is called for.

Rebuilt the last leaking hose bib on the rear of the house. I was going to do all four of them but the last one works fine, doesn't even leak when in use, so I figured "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but I'll have the kits on hand for when it does happen.

Got out on my bicycle for a 2-1/2 hour, 26 mile very hilly workout today. That’s about twice my normal distance and duration.

Now outside to continue the trimming job on my very large redwood trees. Removing all the lower branches to reduce the wildfire risk.

We got a new roof. Since we can't travel, we have been doing some stuff around the house, like a lot of my neighbors. So I have been mostly trapped in the house all day, almost like a snow day. I did make potato salad and we had that with dinner.

Peed in a cup and let he vampires take a few vials of blood at the local lab. Came home ate breakfast, filtered my Chilean and NY Sauvignon Blanc, then bottled. Ran to bottle warehouse for more bottles, then bottled some Syrah Rose and some Valdiguie. Ate a late lunch then picked some peppers and a bowl of cherry tomatoes from garden. Tried to take a nap, but failed miserably. Read another chapter in my latest book, before DW texted me to start dinner. Finished up dinner, then went for daily 3 mile walk. Checked out forum and couple of other websites. Long day, headed for shower.

Kroger curb side pick up. Picked tomatoes from the garden.
will have dinner with DS and DGS later today.

It was yesterday, not today, but the dog and I got "skunked" at about 5:30 AM as we were getting started with the day. The puppy was shampooed and no worse for the wear, and I was only a couple minutes late for work after changing all my clothes and showering. When I got home it was clear that I took a good portion of the spraying as my clothes were a stinking mess. What a way to start the day...

It was yesterday, not today, but the dog and I got "skunked" at about 5:30 AM as we were getting started with the day. The puppy was shampooed and no worse for the wear, and I was only a couple minutes late for work after changing all my clothes and showering. When I got home it was clear that I took a good portion of the spraying as my clothes were a stinking mess. What a way to start the day...
I can remember this smell outside when I came home one day. A chemical smell I thought, smelled burnt in a weird way. It came from the dogs house. Mr. skunk unloaded big time after day it smelled like skunk.

Last edited:
Currently watching CalFire aircraft circling the house and making fire retardant drops. Modest size wildfire about 1/2 mile from the house. Two tankers, helicopter and a spotter plane are working the fire. Cannot see what equipment and manpower is on the ground.

Just got a alert from the Sherrif’s office alert for a potential evacuation.

Currently watching CalFire aircraft circling the house and making fire retardant drops. Modest size wildfire about 1/2 mile from the house. Two tankers, helicopter and a spotter plane are working the fire. Cannot see what equipment and manpower is on the ground.

Just got a alert from the Sherrif’s office alert for a potential evacuation.
Gosh, that's gotta be nerve-wracking. Hope you come through ok!

Sigh of relief!

Just got the “all clear” text from the sheriff’s office. Quick action from both ground and air crews contained the nearby wildfire. The alert for potential evacuations has been lifted.

Another fun smoking experiment at home. I had some duck breasts in the freezer and decided to try smoking them. I had a couple with skins, and more without. I brined them overnight and then smoked them at 225. They cooked really quickly - just a little over an hour.

I also threw on some sausages. We had some duck Bratwurst fully cooked that was too boring. The smoke really improved the taste plus somehow really brought out the herbs in the sausage. These cooked fast too.

I have to say this is by far the easiest way to cook duck breast.

Oh, the snack is some of the smoked duck breast plus a little Foie Gras. Very French!

Attachments

• 47AC8FA5-6AD8-44D6-AA52-2850033A0066.jpeg
    47AC8FA5-6AD8-44D6-AA52-2850033A0066.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 66
  • FDEFE098-025A-4DD3-B330-EA7FF66F64CD.jpeg
    FDEFE098-025A-4DD3-B330-EA7FF66F64CD.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 66
Took my wife to an early doctor's appointment, got home and had another cup of coffee.

After the sun went around to the back of the house, I finished painting the frame of the front door, then primed the front door itself.

Today I processed the onions from my garden. I had pulled them up a month ago and they have been drying on a rack in front of a fan in the garage ever since. Today I snipped the now dessicated leaves off, rubbed off the outermost dirt encrusted skin layer, and put the onions in mesh bags. They are now hanging in storage with the similarly processed shallots and garlic.

Nice. Now what will you do all day?

I'll have to try that. I've never had good luck with duck.

+1

I just found two small duck breasts in the freezer I'd forgotten about. I think DH would prefer them smoked, so I'll give it a try, although I'll have to wait until the weather cools down - when it's 100 outside, I can't keep the temp on the gas grill below 275 even with just one burner on lowest setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom