What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mowed the front & side yards, took an hour break, then mowed the back. I was going to resume tilling a bad bare spot near the shed but every time I walked outside raindrops began falling so after three times of that I gave up. The grass has never grown well there at all and I attributed it to the sunlight reflecting off the white siding in addition to the normal dose of sunlight. But now I think it may be because of the volume of large rocks I keep pulling up from just below the surface to a few inches below. I'll find out when the project is done.

Went on a long hike in the hill this morning. Trying to spot some mule deer for archery opener.
Came home had lunch and went to the ranch and did some fishing then loaded the canoe and brought it home. I plan on floating river next week with a friend.

Cut down my apple tree that was given to us from the bank when I built my home 36 years ago. It was been failing and not a health tree so I decided to take it down and dig up stump and axe it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5102.JPG
    IMG_5102.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 53
We made and canned a couple pints of salsa and a pint of pickled okra. Yesterday, we made and canned 9 one-quarter pint jars of rhubarb jelly.

Made a half gallon of cider. The apple trees are going nutz this year and the only way to use the apples is for cider - you can only eat so many. I use this little cider press - looks like a toy but works great.

Donated blood today. Our local donation center started doing Covid antibody testing, so I'm looking forward to getting that result. Got a can of V8 from the canteen fridge afterwards, and was happy to spot a bottle of Tabasco sauce there for spicing it up.

Just finished a 'phone consultation' with our doctor - been experiencing what my online research suggests is osteoarthritis in my right hip.....he's arranging for X-Rays, should hear from the lab in a day or so.

I've lived with bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in both knees for the better part of fifty years without surgery, so if the hip is confirmed I'll have to learn how to manage it.......but probably not for fifty years.:LOL:

Donated blood today. Our local donation center started doing Covid antibody testing, so I'm looking forward to getting that result. Got a can of V8 from the canteen fridge afterwards, and was happy to spot a bottle of Tabasco sauce there for spicing it up.

With regard to the antibody test, be aware that, if you did have COVID, your body typically only produces antibodies that last about 2 months, maybe 3 months at most. So, if you get a negative test result, it basically only means that you have not had COVID within the last few months - not that you never had it. I was not aware of that when I had the test done.

With regard to the antibody test, be aware that, if you did have COVID, your body typically only produces antibodies that last about 2 months, maybe 3 months at most. So, if you get a negative test result, it basically only means that you have not had COVID within the last few months - not that you never had it. I was not aware of that when I had the test done.

I've read about that in the news. Maybe no antibodies, but T-cells poised to make more if necessary. Looks like at least one company is working on a test for T-cell readiness:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...-vaccine-development-and-population-screening

James Hindley, Ph.D., is the Executive Director at Indoor Biotechnologies in Cardiff in Wales, and the work is underway in collaboration with Martin Scurr, Ph.D., a research associate at Cardiff University’s School of Medicine.

Working with the team at Indoor Biotechnologies, Dr. Hindley and Dr. Scurr are developing a new type of test that can show if someone has developed specific T cells to SARS-CoV-2.

DS' cellphone slipped out of his pants pocket and into the toilet last week, so we delivered my backup phone for him to use until he decides on a replacement. We timed our arrival to take him out to lunch and then DW and I played 9-holes at a nearby Donald Ross course.

Then stopped by Home Depot for a dehumidifier for the basement, the car wash to wash the truck and the creemee (aka soft serve) stand for a baby chocolate creemee on a sugar cone.

Then stopped in and visisted with Mom.

Got home and had an email that my Fire TV Recast had been delivered to the mailbox... but it is nowhere to be found. Texted the mailman and he texted back that he'll deliver it tomorrow.

We didn't do a doggone thing all day in celebration of being retired and it's Monday. Well, that's as good a reason as any, and we've had a slow steady rain all day.

I'll bet the local farmers are doing cartwheels, we weren't in a drought but it was getting there.

I've read about that in the news. Maybe no antibodies, but T-cells poised to make more if necessary. Looks like at least one company is working on a test for T-cell readiness:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...-vaccine-development-and-population-screening

Thanks for the article, it was interesting. I have been waiting for a T-cell test for COVID to be developed, and if such a test ever becomes available to the public, I will be anxious to have it done. I'm quite certain I had COVID-19 back in early March, but there is no way to know right now, unfortunately. I did have the antibody test done, about 4 months after I was sick, and the result was negative. Now I know that that result is basically meaningless, because whatever antibodies I may have had were likely gone by then.

Texted the mailman and he texted back that he'll deliver it tomorrow.

You can text your mailman? Is this a new USPS service or do you know him better than most of us know ours?

Went to the tire store today to address a slow leak in one of my tires. Turns out there was a puncture in the sidewall (i.e. - can't be repaired) and it is AWD, so I bought four new tires.

Currently watching CalFire aircraft circling the house and making fire retardant drops. Modest size wildfire about 1/2 mile from the house. Two tankers, helicopter and a spotter plane are working the fire. Cannot see what equipment and manpower is on the ground.

Just got a alert from the Sherrif’s office alert for a potential evacuation.

Praying that you and yours and your property will be safe from the Fire.

Had a small breakfast. Tried to keep the portion small since I put on some weight due to staying at home more since the Pandemic. Practiced the piano. Machine washed a load of laundry, hung clothes on a line to dry in the sun. Spoiled my dog and cat. Another very pleasant day in ER.

Awakened around 10 AM, got up, drank my coffee, and lazily browsed the internet.

Frank came over with his laundry, which he has been doing over here since his washer broke. We had a good time talking while it washed.

Then, off to lunch at our favorite restaurant. We split a large grilled chicken Caesar salad. With tax and tip, $6 each.

After lunch we went to the boat launch to watch the birds. Glory Hallelujah, they are BACK! We have hardly seen any in weeks, maybe due to the heavy rains. But today is sunny with 0% chance of rain, and dozens of seagulls were doing an aerobatic version of daredevil synchronized swimming, just to entertain us. A pelican joined in, and a family of 10 ducks swiftly swam by below them while we watched.

Then, home again. I added up my August spending, then fell asleep and had a nice long nap while listening to youtube. So far today I haven't even had a minute available to play my low stress video game (Animal Crossing). Guess I can do that tonight.

I tell you it's a rough life, being retired! But somebody's got to do it. :D

Spent a couple of hours at the local hospice repairing wheelchairs and walkers. Went to Autozone to pick up gas stabilizer for my generator. Picked up DW's prescription. Came home and added the stabilizer to the gas can and the generator. Ran the generator to circulate the stabilizer.

Final run was to local gourmet restaurant to pick up a specialty pizza we ordered YUM.

Went for a walk, took DW out for breakfast, photoshopped out some obstacles from niece's wedding photo, researched options for my upcoming Ford Bronco purchase, cleaned my truck interior, ordered updated nav system map for the truck, grilling sausages for dinner, then some tv.

Last edited:
Ran to Lowe's and our local grocery store with DH. Came home and planted some perennial grass in a new sunny backyard area. I also planted some mums and threw out summer flowers.

After lunch I went over and walked with my Mom, it was finally cool enough to do this during the day. Swam laps with DH and then made dinner which included fresh bruschetta made with homegrown tomatoes, very tasty. No wonder we are so tired at night.

Drove all the way down to Costco for a battery for the Jeep. The old one suddenly died a couple of days ago. That's a long drive to save $40 or $50, but I picked up a few other items while there so I don't feel terribly bad about being so frugal.

Went to the tire store today to address a slow leak in one of my tires. Turns out there was a puncture in the sidewall (i.e. - can't be repaired) and it is AWD, so I bought four new tires.

I think you were looking for the "Blow that Dough" thread, no? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom