What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the portable water meter up to the sewer district office to get read. This is the one you put on the hose bib for water that isn't going into the sewage system when washing the car or other outside water uses. Then they subtract out the gallons used outside from your sewer bill. This is usually a once per year thing in October, but more often than not I forget to.

Then stopped in Lowes for some week killer and then a grocery run, and home.

Went to eye surgeon's - recognized fellow patients from the hospital yesterday.

Taking a variety of eye drops at various intervals throughout the day.

So far, so good......(wearing safety glasses to avoid any risk of rubbing eye).

Played golf with some friends. I restarted playing again after 11 years off. Now with two new hips I feel pretty good. The game is coming back slowly. After four 9 hole rounds in the last month, I am starting to get my old swing back. In the nine holes we played today, I had two pars and a birdie. :) It felt good!

However, we now hit from the "old man" tees.......:LOL:

Took the portable water meter up to the sewer district office to get read. This is the one you put on the hose bib for water that isn't going into the sewage system when washing the car or other outside water uses. Then they subtract out the gallons used outside from your sewer bill.

Very interesting. I've never heard of anything like that.
Where I live, the sewer district has a monthly base rate plus a variable rate based on how much water you use. Your method would certainly be more precise but I wonder about the cost of all those meters and the manhours of dealing with them.

Very interesting. I've never heard of anything like that.
Where I live, the sewer district has a monthly base rate plus a variable rate based on how much water you use. Your method would certainly be more precise but I wonder about the cost of all those meters and the manhours of dealing with them.

It's purely optional on the part of the user. You have to buy the meter from a licensed plumber, it was ~$70 at the time (2002) and paid for itself in less than two years, I figured the break-even at 18 months. That made it a no-brainer for me, but I suppose a lot of people can't get past that initial front money outlay. To my knowledge none of the neighbors use one. The neighbor who told me about it has since moved away.

This county population is small enough that the sewer office still uses a card-file system to keep track of the meter readings. I go in, hold the meter up to the window so she can see the reading and serial number, and that's it. Takes less than two minutes. Of course I have no idea what the back-office cost is in subtracting out the reading gallons.

A few days ago I spoke with a neighbor I'd never talked to before, which led to me being able to sell my mom's car today without having to list it. The neighbor's daughter needed a car, and the daughter's boyfriend bought it for her. They wanted it right away, so I didn't even have time to wash and detail it properly. Signed over the title and got the cash for it today. Sort of a sad event for my mom. She quit driving early last year but just recently felt ready to let go of her car.

Scraped up some weeds in the back yard, then DH and I took a walk on the waterfront to see how the new ferry dock is coming along. It's over a year behind schedule, and the current plan is to open late this year, but late is coming up pretty fast and it looks like there's still a lot of work to do.

Created a simple cash flow model for our CD ladder so I know when funds will be maturing. Only took about 30 minutes...we have about 10 CDs spread over 5 year ladder.

Also cooked dinner, vegetable stir fry.

Ran some errands. Checked some boxes on the "to do list". Tied up some loose ends and took care of some things I had procrastinated about. Grabbed some lunch. Chatted with a neighbor. Called my sister and talked to her a few hours. Reviewed some ideas for other streams of income. Checked the stock market per usual. Wrote in my journal. Watched Shark Tank. Explored some new books I might buy. Viewed some condos and homes at the beach where I'd like to move to when the timing is right for me.

Mostly hiking every day during fall color. Also working on making some hiking sticks, a contraption to thwart squirrels attacking my bird feeder, a bracket to hold my gopro to photograph birds at the feeder, and putting together a mini photo shoot setup in the basement.

Attachments

• kank river state park trail.jpg
    kank river state park trail.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Thanks for sharing your days! Always fun to read what you rich people are doing. Lol

I been bow hunting just have had a rough go at harvesting an animal but I give thanks I can still do what I love.

Having fun at the ranch makes up most days.

Yesterday my wife trapped a possum in the backyard, so I loaded it in the truck a took it for a long ride. Then stopped at Lowes to get some short rebar pieces to drive next to some survey stakes that I had put in outlining the property line on a vacant lot I own. I figure when the stakes disappear, I can use my metal detector to locate them. Spent time on the computer.
Then I help my son at his job, reducing the air flow in a palapas (tiki hut) in preparation for winter. It's carpentry work. They plan to heat the palapas for customer comfort. Part of that was researching how to make an ellipse to fit a 5-3/4" beam going through a plane at a 37* angle. Was easier than expected!
Today, I did a 4 mile walk. My wife trapped another possum, so off I go to give it a long ride and a new habitat. Third one this week, the are small so I think part of the same litter. She's mad at them the eat her garden produce.

Mowed the hill in the back yard, this time lowering the cutting height yet another notch, this time to 2 1/2". Normally I mow at 4" but I want to work down to about an inch and a half without shocking the grass plants by doing it all at once. In late winter if we get a good snowfall I'll try dormant seeding new grass seed and see how that goes. If no snow, I'll wait until early spring and seed just before a long rain and try it then. Granted there's a big element of luck involved with the weather but there's no way I can keep all of it watered with hoses.

Slept until 10 AM, and then got up and went to lunch with Frank. We went to a restaurant that we haven't been to since the pandemic, because we weren't sure if it was open (but it is!). Love that place - - $10 plus tips covers a big lunch for both of us.

Then, since both places where F used to go to play pool have closed permanently, I drove by a small neighborhood place that I knew about, tucked away on a tiny, obscure residential street for the past fifty years. And yes, it is open! So that was encouraging.

Mostly I have been trying to stay positive and do whatever activities may lift my spirits, since the many woes of 2020 have been getting to me. Yes, as you probably guessed I am not actually superwoman but just a very imperfect human being, and I am trying to keep from being so bummed out about the way our lives and world seem to have changed for the worse in recent months.

Anyway I am hoping things settle down a bit after the elections although I recognize they may not. Meanwhile, it's back to playing my cheery video game (Animal Crossing) for a while.

Attachments

• Loralie_avatar3_80x80.jpg
    Loralie_avatar3_80x80.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 183
Yesterday my wife trapped a possum in the backyard, so I loaded it in the truck a took it for a long ride. Then stopped at Lowes to get some short rebar pieces to drive next to some survey stakes that I had put in outlining the property line on a vacant lot I own. I figure when the stakes disappear, I can use my metal detector to locate them. Spent time on the computer.
Then I help my son at his job, reducing the air flow in a palapas (tiki hut) in preparation for winter. It's carpentry work. They plan to heat the palapas for customer comfort. Part of that was researching how to make an ellipse to fit a 5-3/4" beam going through a plane at a 37* angle. Was easier than expected!
Today, I did a 4 mile walk. My wife trapped another possum, so off I go to give it a long ride and a new habitat. Third one this week, the are small so I think part of the same litter. She's mad at them the eat her garden produce.

At our house possums get the longest most permanent ride possible..:dance:

Possum: the other white meat.

Roast Possum With Apples And Yams Recipe

Roast Possum With Apples And Yams Recipe

Skin and clean your 'possum, removing as much of the unwanted fat as you can find. get rid of all the innards, and be certain to remove the small reddish musk glands from the small of its back and from under each foreleg between the shoulder and the rib. (granddaddy bert, like most hunters, used to soak his 'possums overnight in salted water, then rinse really well before roasting the next day.) douse the 'possum with lemon juice and rub it in as best as you can.......

Yeah, I'm bored today.

Today, I spent about 4 hours washing, waxing and detailing my 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster. It's looking really nice right now. Not sure if there still might be one or two mild days left this year to drive it, so I have not put the cover on it yet. But, soon enough, it will be put away in the garage for the winter.

I bought a new 3200psi power washer a few weeks ago and I've been washing down everything in sight. House, cars, barns, driveways, slabs, etc.... Washed a couple of cars again today.... I'm amazed at how much better (more powerful/effective) the 3200psi is vs the 2800 psi washer I replaced.... I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference.

On Saturday a friend came over and we took down some trees. He brought a young fellow with some experience with him and also his small Kubota tractor.

We took down a 70' ash, two 50' elms and a 50' ash. The ash were dead from Emerald Ash Borer and one of the elms was also dead (probably Dutch Elm disease).

The young fellow was pretty experienced but I still had to rein him in a couple of times.. ahh, the blind courage of youthful energy. :facepalm:

Next stop will be at a nearby amateur sawmill. There's probably only about 150-200 useful board feet there but he'll saw it all up for $100 and there is about the equivalent of $750 of wood so why not. Besides, I just like saying I used my own lumber to make things.

Attachments

• 6827.jpg
    6827.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
We harvested the first of our saffron.

We harvested the first of our saffron.

Tell us more.

Can I grow it in Fl?

Went on a little search about Saffron growing, it says you get 3 stigma per flower and only one flower per plant, is that what you find?

Do you harvest with tweasers?

Any growing tips?

EDIT: Went on a little search about Saffron growing, it says you get 3 stigma per flower and only one flower per plant, is that what you find?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279973177_Saffron_Flowers_with_Augmented_Number_of_Stigmata
I wonder about Crisper modification?

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
To each his/her own, I guess, but I don't understand all this possum hate. They are pretty good to have around - voracious hunters of vermin and ticks. And they don't carry the dangerous diseases of raccoons and similar-sized mammals. Nor do they turn over trash cans or root in your garden.

Armadillos, OTOH, are heinous.....

To each his/her own, I guess, but I don't understand all this possum hate. They are pretty good to have around - voracious hunters of vermin and ticks. And they don't carry the dangerous diseases of raccoons and similar-sized mammals. Nor do they turn over trash cans or root in your garden.

Fair enough, we don't look for them but when they come sit on my deck and look in my patio door..the trap gets set...

I believe they are eating the persimmons just as they ripen. They usually leave about half of each one, very kind of them, not!

Roofing crew showed up about 8. 2 hours in and it’s all stripped, new sheathing is going on. It’s a far cry from the last time I spent weeks just putting another course over the old one. Of course that was just me,,and about 30 years ago. BTD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom