Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #1821
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I withdrew an excessively large amount of cash from the bank. It was an interesting process and required a notary+security.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #1822
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Today I withdrew an excessively large amount of cash from the bank. It was an interesting process and required a notary+security.
Next time hold the pistol higher!
Old 10-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #1823
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Added 2 250 watt solar panels to my camp's solar system.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #1824
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Next time hold the pistol higher!
Yeah cause you are already wearing a mask.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #1825
Administrator

We took advantage of a nice sunny day to go out to the garden and dig up all the sweet potatoes. We probably got about 30 lbs, although some rodents had been helping themselves to a few. The potatoes are now curing next to the furnace in our cellar for a week (you need a somewhat warm and humid place for them to cure). We also dug up the last of the carrots and pulled out the okra. It's a little sad that our growing season is coming to an end and we have to put the garden to bed for the winter. Our spirits were brightened, however, when a bald eagle flew over us while we were working.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #1826
Give me a forum ...

I moved some tools around, put some away, tossed out the trash, made a mounting board for the new ring camera/motion sensor/LED/siren widget and fetched home lunch (shrimp with snow peas) after I sent in my motorcycle insurance dough and my VOTE!

Now gonna prep some steaks for the barbee and drink some booze -
Old 10-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #1827
Recycles dryer sheets

Busy day.

Took advantage of beautiful weather with a 2-1/2 hour mountain bike ride this morning. Got home and prepped some ribs before heading to the gym for an hour of cardio, strength training and swim. Got home and threw the ribs on the grill. After dinner on the phone with kid brother and wife to finalize January trip down to Cancun.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #1828
Recycles dryer sheets

Went with DW to McKay used book store. She was down to 2 books left from our previous trip. traded in 17 books got 12 and after her credits she paid $1.63 difference. I have tried to get her to get a Kindle but she likes the feel of a real book.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Went with DW to McKay used book store. She was down to 2 books left from our previous trip. traded in 17 books got 12 and after her credits she paid $1.63 difference. I have tried to get her to get a Kindle but she likes the feel of a real book.
I felt the same way until DW's sons bought her a Nook. i realized that I would also have internet connection, so I bought a Kindle. When DW's Nook died, she bought a Kindle also.
They are great for traveling,especially for long trips. We have saved so much over hardcovr, it has more than paid for both of them.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #1830
Administrator

The lady next door came over to borrow my tiller for her small home garden. I told her I would just do it for her. But when I got over there, it wouldn't start - cracked priming bulb. So I took it back home, took it apart, went to Lowes to get a new one, put it back together and then tilled her garden. It was fortuitous, because I need to till my own garden later this month and better I should discover the problem now than after I have hauled it out to the garden.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #1831

Bad day today. I started a trip to Denver (2 1/2 hrs) at 7:00 this morning to help DD move and load the truck with furniture to take to my place. At about 8 miles the fan belt broke. I was just at the edge of the national forest and the guy that lived in the first house came out and took pity on me and drove me back to my place. I got another car and tools and drove down to the small town and got a new belt. Got it installed and it made quite a racket. After a while it quieted down and all seemed well. I made it to the highway corner (18 miles from home) and the belt broke again! The mechanic I use is at the corner so that is where I parked the truck. Now waiting in a restaurant for a ride back to my car. Probably in about 4 hours...
Old 10-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
got a new belt. Got it installed and it made quite a racket. After a while it quieted down and all seemed well. I made it to the highway corner (18 miles from home) and the belt broke again!
Condolences.

Reminds me of the worst car I ever owned, a FIAT 128. There was a cable connecting the clutch pedal to the clutch, and that cable never lasted more than a couple thousand miles. After a while I always carried at least one spare clutch cable and got to be so adept at changing it that I could do it in under ten minutes.

Of course, that was one of the lesser problems. The prevailing opinion among owners was that the company name stood for "Fix It Again, Tony".
Old 10-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #1833
Moderator Emeritus

4 driving hours left of a 6 day, 2300 mile road trip through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

Visited nephew, The Biltmore, Smoky Mtns, Ford Bronco car show, and some friends.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #1834

Researched, photographed, and posted ads for six items on Craigslist. Got four responses that were phishy, but ended up selling two items today. Learned that old steel office desks are worth some cash nowdays. They're called steel tanker desks and some models are being offered for hundreds to a thousand dollars or more. Mine is a less desirable model, I'm asking $75 for it. Not bad for a desk I hauled home for free from work years ago, and it's served us well as a storage space and work surface all those years. Time to lighten up though, we're thinking of moving to another state in the next couple of years, and we're shedding stuff now before it gets any heavier.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Visited nephew, The Biltmore, Smoky Mtns, Ford Bronco car show, and some friends.
My husband often pines for his old '77 Bronco. Many memories of boonie whomping and such in that rig.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #1836
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
My husband often pines for his old '77 Bronco. Many memories of boonie whomping and such in that rig.

Very nice!
Old 10-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #1837

Heading to DD to bring a Bday lunch today. Will have the whole family together next weekend for dinner, ribs on the smoker!
Old 10-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #1838

I made some bird feeders our of some lumber we bought from Home Depot yesterday. I designed these feeders for smaller birds and wanted to keep doves and pigeons away. We finished setting the feeding station up in our backyard and the birds started to show up later this morning which was surprising. Hopefully we can attract some nice birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1366267.jpg (469.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg P1366272.jpg (422.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #1839
Recycles dryer sheets

It was a typical Tuesday morning walk, talk and post walk lunch at Moms place. Got home and did my good deed for the planet by taking a bunch of recycling back. Now headed out for a light workout on my bike.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #1840
Give me a forum ...

Pirate looks for Parrot:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread