What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a batch of pizza dough, froze half and made the rest for dinner. Next time I think I'll double the batch.
Made a batch of chocolate truffles this time I wanted to coat them with tempered dark bittersweet chocolate. I had never tempered chocolate before so it was a great experiment. I was doing it sous vide so it should be easy right? Totally control the temperature and it's easy.
On my third attempt of heating and cooling a pound of chocolate it finally tempered. I'd assumed directions to temper chocolate with different methods would work the same. When I checked out sous vide directions they called to cool it more than bring it up to work with it. Much better and now I know I don't have to use a whole pound of chocolate. Holy cow these truffles are good.

We were scheduled to visit friends today (living dangerously), so I woke up early to shovel our driveway. It was not a lot of snow (4 inches), but, due to the sleet/freezing rain that also fell, it was icy, hard and packed, so it was both chopping and shoveling. My electric snowblower has plastic blades and I did not want to take a chance of damaging it. I was bundled up fine and set about clearing 200 feet of driveway.

20 minutes into it one of our neighbors - a young couple who recently married - walked over and insisted I go into the house, they had a plow and snow blower and would clear the driveway. I did not protest much :). In 15 minutes we had a clear driveway.

We went to meet our friends at a restaurant (even more living dangerously :)). However, the indoor restaurant was not crowded at all, tables were spaces and they had plexiglass up in several areas. Better, they had an outdoor porch with a few tables but also a heater. Since there was no one else outdoors we ate there. It was about 40 degrees with snow on the ground. With no wind, bright sun, and the heater we actually felt very comfortable.

Returned to their home for some social distancing socializing before returning home before the roads froze back over. Relaxed by playing with the train set decoration, DW enticing me into a game of Rummikub, and now watching Thursday Night Football.

Took dear GS to preschool.
Picked up books on hold at the library (outside pickup, they hold books for a week in between). Now have 15 books to read before they are due in 3 weeks!

I used photopills to calculate some time lapses. They have an iPhone app or this online calculator also calculates it. https://www.photopills.com/calculators/timelapse

Thank you! This will simplify things greatly.:dance:

I drove DW to her early AM dentist appointment to get a long-overdue crown installed. It has been delayed numerous times because of trickle-down effects from the virus and stuff being unavailable. I drove her in the 4WD pickup because she was nervous about driving in the remnants of the snow but there really wasn't much left. It only took about 45 minutes and I just waited in the truck and read the newspaper.

Then installed floats on one of the large R/C airplanes to see how much, if any, control I'd have for ground handling. It even has water rudders on the floats but the snow has an ice crust on it so they were ineffective as I expected. Wind conditions permitting I'll take it down to the flying site and play with that. Gotta get my R/C fix for the week if possible.

Did our QCDs. Why can't Fido make it as easy as donating from their DAF? And now that I know how their documenting the donation works, no need to have them send me the checks to copy and then send them out :dance:.

Just had the lightbulb go off and after this year, future year donations will be much faster than through the DAF :dance:. This is our second year with QCDs so still learning.

Did our QCDs. Why can't Fido make it as easy as donating from their DAF?

What specifically was the problem?

We did a bunch of QCDs this year and it seemed to be just as easy as donating from our DAF.

We did a bunch of QCDs this year and it seemed to be just as easy as donating from our DAF.

Last year, our first time, we called the local office as I couldn't figure out how to handle it online. Was told I couldn't do it online and spent quite a bit of time on the phone. This year, I called the local office and was advised how to do it online...send them an e-mail with all the info including addresses. We contribute to 8 charities via DAF and/or QCDs. I'll create a Word document and paste into the e-mail. We contribute to the same charities each year, adjusting the $ amount depending on needs (disasters, etc.). This year our pet rescue groups as well as local food banks will receive 2x usual donations.

This morning I awoke to the alarm clock for the last time ever on a Monday morning. :D :dance:

Friday will be my last day of w#rk after 25.5 years with the organization.

Congrats! I think that you are going to love it.

This morning I awoke to the alarm clock for the last time ever on a Monday morning. :D :dance:

Friday will be my last day of w#rk after 25.5 years with the organization.

Have a very happy special Friday evening tonight!

I have an IRA with T. Rowe. I have the form saved in PDF, and I just fill in the amount and the donee. A week later a check comes to my home made out to the donee. As long as it its $10,000 or less, I do not have to have it notarized.

Deck boards going down.

50734902517_f7f6bd7d00_o.jpg

I'll be reusing (recycling) almost all the old deck. Pressure treated 4x6's and 2x6 redwood boards. The first load went into the planter boxes and rest is going into this deck. Thought I'd be going back to the depot for more wood but hey, recycle!

Last edited:
Looks great! I was wondering if you got to installing the deck boards today. Keep us posted.

I have an IRA with T. Rowe. I have the form saved in PDF, and I just fill in the amount and the donee. A week later a check comes to my home made out to the donee. As long as it its $10,000 or less, I do not have to have it notarized.

Unfortunately, Fidelity does not have their QCD requests automated. Their DAF is great.

But doesn't all that free time weigh on your mind?

Yup. I'm looking for a job tomorrow. Bored stiff. Need to find my identity. Give life meaning.

Haha!

^ No job hunting till you finish that deck!!!

But doesn't all that free time weigh on your mind?

I am waiting with bated breath for that burden to reveal itself.

I promise to report back here the instant it does. :LOL:

Almost finished late lunch for just 8 of us to end Hanukkah [emoji953]:
Soup (vegan & matzo ball), Son making latkes, Salad, Cookies (vegan & NOT), Pie (vegan apple & French apple). Bought bread & sufanyot .... skipping kugel

Last edited:
Was a beautiful day again today so plugged away at a few more vases. Got four vases shaped and got a coat of varnish on them. I made a cedar whiskey jug and it turned out pretty nice. The colour is absolutely beautiful. I got about 20 made now.

Attachments

• IMG_5863.jpg
    IMG_5863.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_5866.jpg
    IMG_5866.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_5860.jpg
    IMG_5860.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Started out cold and foggy here. Laid low in the morning. Got some more deck boards down. But not all. And the tape reveals I'll need another trip to the Depot.

Such is life.

Had another COVID sucks day. My DH brother and his wife called to say they were out enjoying the sunny day and driving past our house. We agreed on the phone they would stop and we'd see each other outside wearing masks.

About 5 minutes in my SIL started to break down and tell me their youngest son and his wife had suddenly separated after 10 years of marriage. She was just broken up over it and there I stood 6 ft away wearing a mask.

That son of hers is my favorite nephew and I was in tears, she was in tears and we might have each been on a different planet. I tried to say the right things, but in the middle of all this was simply thinking "Bleep you COVID"...

As they drove down our driveway I sent a text saying, "I love you and all I want to do is give you a hug". Now I'm beating myself up that I didn't just do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom