Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #1901
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Doing nothing requires careful planning and considerable imagination. After all, doing nothing is really doing something that just isn’t obvious to others.
When someone asks me why I am doing nothing, I say I am thinking and possibly planning.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #1902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When someone asks me why I am doing nothing
There's always the old standby of "If I told you I'd have to...."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #1903
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I went on my bi-weekly grocery store run. Very little traffic in the store and the stock was good (which may change as the COVID numbers run back up). I was even able to score a tub of disinfectant wipes for the first time since February.
Not sure about where you are, but I started going to Costco during senior hours every day or two a couple of months ago. They let us fogies in an hour before normal opening times, and almost every day they have some hard to get item right in the main aisle. I've gotten 5 packs of disinfectant wipes for myself and DD, and seen them there often when I didn't need to buy any. They usually have tons of hand sanitizer. Once I even got lucky and scored a couple of cans of Lysol, although I've never seen any since. So if you are a member you might want to give it a try.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #1904
Give me a forum ...

With the surge of Covid cases in Europe, I just read about toilet paper hoarding in Germany and Austria. Yes, it's starting up again. Good grief!

Maybe the thing for me to do tomorrow is to check my inventory of disinfectants and TP, and to replenish now before this déjà vu hits the US.

PS. New word of the day:

Acartohygieiophobia - Fear of running out of toilet paper
Old 10-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #1905
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I got out on the motorcycle yesterday to go "leaf" looking. It was a short 175 round trip but it was quite enjoyable. I haven't been able to ride since early July due to my torn meniscus and the surgery to repair it, but the Dr. released me on Tues. and this weekend is supposed to be rain all weekend. I take my blessings when I can get them now.����
Old 10-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #1906
Give me a forum ...

It's time to plant cool-season veggie here in the SW. I have been preparing the planting beds for it. Instead of breaking up the soil and mixing in manure or soil amendment in situ, I shovel off the top of the soil into a wheel barrow, then mix it really well with soil amendment before refilling the planting bed.

This results in a much better soil that looks like textbook. Of course it takes a lot more labor, hence I allow myself more than 1 week just to do a few hundred square feet.

And I decided to grow more green beans and snap peas, using containers. Growing and planting is good for the soul, and for the body too.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #1907

Got a haircut today. In the basement. DW did the cutting, third time, she's getting better with practice.

A Rigid shop vac does a fine job of cleaning up the floor, and I find that the air compressor does a better job of cleaning up me than the shop vac does. So, compressed air first (with due caution, of course) then the shop vac.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #1908
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's time to plant cool-season veggie here in the SW. I have been preparing the planting beds for it. Instead of breaking up the soil and mixing in manure or soil amendment in situ, I shovel off the top of the soil into a wheel barrow, then mix it really well with soil amendment before refilling the planting bed.

This results in a much better soil that looks like textbook. Of course it takes a lot more labor, hence I allow myself more than 1 week just to do a few hundred square feet.

And I decided to grow more green beans and snap peas, using containers. Growing and planting is good for the soul, and for the body too.
I will put my garden to bed for the winter at the end of next week. Today, I harvested almost everything that was left and pulled up the plants. The only things remaining are some chard, lettuce, radicchio, poblano peppers and a few stray onions that I missed in August, which I will get next week. I'll till my planting beds over the next week, tilling in some bags of fallen leaves I have collected in my yard. (In the spring, I'll till some aged manure and peat into each bed before planting.) The first week of November, I'll plant my garlic and then work on my seed order for next spring.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #1909
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

PS. New word of the day:

Acartohygieiophobia - Fear of running out of toilet paper
Excellent, thank you!!
Old 10-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #1910
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Got a haircut today. In the basement. DW did the cutting, third time, she's getting better with practice.

A Rigid shop vac does a fine job of cleaning up the floor, and I find that the air compressor does a better job of cleaning up me than the shop vac does. So, compressed air first (with due caution, of course) then the shop vac.

Yes, I would be extremely cautious with the air compressor. Busted eardrums have to hurt a lot, I imagine. But would the compressed air blow the hair clipping all over the basement, causing more work to clean up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I will put my garden to bed for the winter at the end of next week. Today, I harvested almost everything that was left and pulled up the plants. The only things remaining are some chard, lettuce, radicchio, poblano peppers and a few stray onions that I missed in August, which I will get next week. I'll till my planting beds over the next week, tilling in some bags of fallen leaves I have collected in my yard. (In the spring, I'll till some aged manure and peat into each bed before planting.) The first week of November, I'll plant my garlic and then work on my seed order for next spring.

Here in the SW, this is the time to plant. In the summer, everything either dies being cooked to a crisp, or stops flowering and setting fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Excellent, thank you!!

You are welcome. And let's not confuse acartohygieiophobia with papyrophobia.

The latter means "fear of paper". And if one is fearful of paper, what does he use? Corn cob?
Old 10-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #1911
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was sunny and 80 today. Did every last bit of yard work I could think of to do!
Old 10-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #1912
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I would be extremely cautious with the air compressor. Busted eardrums have to hurt a lot, I imagine.........
Yes, be cautious - if you stick the air nozzle in one ear, don't block the other ear.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #1913
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yes, be cautious - if you stick the air nozzle in one ear, don't block the other ear.

Yes. How else do you blow out the ear wax?

Would it come out your nose if you block the other ear?
Old 10-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #1914
Give me a forum ...

Pressed a last gallon of cider from the remaining apples picked in our little orchard. It's been a fun hobby and using a blender to chop up the apples before the mash is pressed makes it an easy task.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #1915

Voted this morning. First time ever that I haven't voted on Election Day. For the past couple of weeks, something in the back of my head has been telling me to vote early. I don't think the worry is about COVID-19 or the possibility of long lines.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #1916
Moderator Emeritus

Spent a couple of hours detailing the Mustang for winter top down driving. We can do that in south Texas during the winter months!

2005 Mustang.jpg
Old 10-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #1917
Give me a forum ...

Walked down to SJNF to our favorite cliff, too windy at 55° to enjoy the view for long. On the way down we saw 2 mule deer grazing, startled me when we walked up on them. On the way back this one was still eating along the trail, the others, yes there were more hidden in the brush, were back some.

I think they survive only because of numbers. They appear to have less intelligence than ground squirrel. These need to go gather up with others and start migrating. It's not a good time to drive after dark right now. 20201024_121732.jpeg
Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #1918
Recycles dryer sheets

We went to DGS's 7th Bday party in DS's backyard. We had an energetic game of Risk. We got a nice bonfire going. We went home for lunch and sang the Bday song over Zoom and watched the Bday boy blow out his candles.

I made a nice soup with black beans, chorizo, and greens.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #1919
Moderator Emeritus

^Risk! We used to have energetic games of risk 40-50 years ago. Turned good friends into fierce enemies for a few hours. Good times.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #1920

I put in 150 garlic plants (cloves). Feeling it a bit!
Closed Thread