What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I don't want to write checks for Medicare. I'd rather have Medicare deducted from my ss.

They offer automatic deduction from your bank account. Very simple and easy. The only weird part is that you get a snail mail letter from them every month showing the amount with "THIS IS NOT A BILL" on it. No way to turn that off, just a monthly laugh.

Stood around and watched as three, sometimes four, guys installed two new Anderson sliding glass doors, one for upstairs out to the back porch and one downstairs out to ground level. I'm very glad that I didn't even think about trying to do that myself, starting with the observation that it took three guys to carry the thing.

I'll have to do some painting touch-ups since the frames on the new doors are slightly smaller than the originals and the bare drywall shows around the edges. DW is very happy, now she can see out the basement door (the seal had broken and there was water between the panes).

Emptied 2 rooms in the house, an open dining room and half a great room in another area. Replacing the Berber carpet with ceramic tile starts tomorrow.

Finished the painting touch-ups on the wall and trim around the recently installed upstairs sliding glass door. DW is pleased.

My back hurts so I'm done for the day.

It's almost midnight.

I am in bed, surfin' Youtube on my laptop, while sipping a shot of XO.

I feel like having another shot, but of Calvados. I will have it on the rocks.

I guess I have to get out of bed now.

I had a good day. I started out with my coffee while checking my email and planning my day. I went to the local resale shop a picked up a few kitchen items than mailed a package to my DS. I then went to the gym and did cardio and weights. I went grocery shopping for jambalaya ingredients and came home and make jambalaya. After dinner I watched a Netflix movie with DH.

Went to the second of 4 American Sign Language classes. This is at the library, which I can walk to.

The instructor is deaf and the class is an immersion class - only sign. The first class was terrible. I didn't understand anything and did not remember many signs even right after she showed them. Everybody else (much younger) seemed to be getting it faster.

I studied quite a bit using web videos, and class 2 was fine. I think I did this just to see if I can still learn anything. Not sure yet what I can do with it since I would need to practice conversation to get good enough to translate or work with the deaf.

I had a similar experience. After writing three books that included a deaf character (and which discussed ASL a lot), I went to an ASL class at our library. Totally overwhelming.

(If you (or anyone else) want(s) free eBook copies, PM me.)

It bugs me that different countries have different sign languages! Wouldn't someone have said, "Hey, let's all use the same signs for words!" For example, why can't this sign for "hungry" be the same in all languages?

It turned cold again here so I made a huge batch of Irish leek and potato soup that should last the week. Very satisfying stuff!

Actually was couple days ago, but enjoying the warm upper 70s temps on vacation down in Florida panhandle. This is Panama City Beach looking back from the pier. Also our campsite at St Andrews state park, right on the water (lagoon off the gulf). Turning colder low 50s for next few days, but it's still 30 degrees warmer than home! 20200114_113513.jpeg20200114_113540.jpeg20200112_111426.jpeg

I read these WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY posts and realize that most days involve the same things for me! How depressing

We have 2 dogs that shed! And drool.... and track in sand and dirt......so literally everyday I vacuum and run a damp mop over all the hard floor surfaces. And of course wash out their food and water bowls and refill.

Make the bed, straighten up the house, open the curtains in the morning, close them at night. Do the cooking, washing up for at least 2 meals per day since sometime we either skip breakfast, are out for lunch or occasionally go out for dinner.

3 to 4 times a week go to the gym which is 1/2 hour each way, stretch, do cardio, weights, swim, take a steam and shower

On gym days between cleaning, cooking and gym that is almost 8 hours right there! Add laundry, and ironing, changing linens etc and you got another day gone.

My new idea of a relaxing retirement is to have no pets and live in a building with a great gym and spa facilities with a fluff and fold laundry downstairs.

Our youngest dog is 5 years old so my dreams will have to wait another 10 years!

My new idea of a relaxing retirement is to have no pets and live in a building with a great gym and spa facilities with a fluff and fold laundry downstairs.
I hear you!! And I agree completely. In my case, luckily I have no pets. My gym is two miles away, but I seldom use my home gym equipment any more because right now, I like getting out of the house.

None of my laundry needs folding, and I'd rather do it myself while I relax here at home. But I just had to use this opportunity to describe the peculiar laundry setup that I have been using lately. This laundry system is something that I invented last fall and which I think is really super and much easier than what I had been doing. It works for me, but may not for others. Anyway here is what I have been doing:

Instead of using my triple dresser to store things, I use baskets so that I don't have to open and close all those drawers just to do laundry or to get dressed. I have five normal plastic laundry baskets at heights that are about waist high and easy to reach, on a wide Sterilite shelving unit that I already had, with shelves far enough apart that I don't have to pull the baskets out to use them. I have a laundry cart that is about the same height as the baskets. One basket for bras and shorts, one for underwear, one for socks, one for the oversized t-shirts that I wear as nightclothes, and one for dirty laundry. My shoes go on the bottom shelf of that same shelving unit. The blouses still have to be hung in the closet, as do long pants, but still, in my opinion this system makes putting away clean laundry and getting dressed a lot easier. Getting dressed, I just roll my laundry cart by the shelving unit and pluck one of what I need out of each basket, and then roll it to where I normally dress; the idea of baskets at a convenient height that do not need to be opened and closed like drawers do, came to me when thinking of how grocery stores are laid out.

One of the great things about being retired is that I can easily try out all my hare-brained ideas like this to see if they work for me as well as I envisioned. :D This is one that I like. (I have the advantage of knowing that nobody but me and F will ever see my bedroom anyway so I don't care if it looks like a crazy woman lives here! :LOL: ) Eventually I will need to call the Salvation Army and get them to remove that huge, heavy, clunky triple dresser and matching armoire that I no longer use.

As for what I did yesterday, not much! We went to lunch together and then watched the seagulls at the boat launch again. The birds provide never-ending entertainment, and all without even having to get out of the car. Their interactions are sometimes amazing, sometimes puzzling, and sometimes hilarious to watch. This time there were lots of ducks, pelicans, and ravens to watch, as well as the sea gulls. After getting home I enjoyed the internet and some intensive video game playing until the wee hours of the morning. :D

Today F is MC'ing a show at the bar where he sometimes works on an irregular part time basis, for fun and to get a little extra fun money too. After he finishes we'll go to lunch and then go watch the birds again. It's sunny and gorgeous outside, but dropped from yesterday's delightful 78F to 52F right now. I'll have to wear long pants and running shoes instead of my (usual) shorts and sandals.

It bugs me that different countries have different sign languages! Wouldn't someone have said, "Hey, let's all use the same signs for words!" For example, why can't this sign for "hungry" be the same in all languages?

OH what a disappointment! This whole time I have been wondering if sign language isn't the universal language that Esperanto was supposed to be. So many of the signs about physical things are intuitive, like "elevator" is one hand straight up and the other hand makes a fist and goes up the length of the straight hand. Why would that have to be different in Spanish?

Just returned from 1/2 Price Books. 2 boxes in; $36 out. And so, the downsizing / decluttering continues....

Now, off to spend the $ on margaritas at the local sports bar on the river and watch the Titans/KC game.

Time, energy and $ well spent!

Spent time posting stuff on craigslist and ebay.

Finished doing the paint touch-up around the new sliding glass door in the kitchen today on one piece of trim, then gym with DW and home for lunch.

BTW, a couple of days ago I was offered a job! The owner of the company who installed the two sliding glass doors called to make sure all was well with the installation and such. I mentioned that I was painting around the edge of the door because the new door frame was a bit narrower by about 1/2" on each side so the trim didn't cover the unpainted drywall and that was what I was painting. He offered to send a guy to do that for us and I politely declined, saying that I was retired and it was a minor little project that I didn't mind doing. That's when he asked "Do you want a job?" He probably had in mind stuff like that, for when the downstairs door was done they had a different guy come by to finish the carpet, as that needed to be cut and tucked in too. He was here about fifteen minutes, clearly he'd done that sort of thing about 8,000 times before and looked to be in his early 60's, so perhaps a part time retirement job for him.

Anyway, I politely declined the job.

I broke out all my seed catalogs and entered my order for the coming gardening season. About $200 worth of seed. Then I made up my planting calendar (when to start indoors under lights, when to transplant out, when to direct sow, etc.) The garden opens on April 1 and I'm looking forward to another great year of growing vegetables.

I'll start the artichoke seed in about 3 weeks. I am trying to overwinter the ones I planted last year; the new seedlings are just in case that doesn't work. If the old ones come back as hoped, I'll just give the new seedlings to my fellow gardeners. They were all very curious when I put in artichokes last year.

I got called on to give expert testimony on an eminent domain case that started while I was still working. So I took the train in to Chicago today to meet the lawyer and get our ducks in a row. Work is exactly how I remember it. Not nearly as much fun as not working. Then to MIL’s to move her furniture back after getting new floor tile.

Went to the ranch haven't been there for a week because of the terriable cold spell. It was a beautiful day and will be for the next 10 days. I hiked, cut wood, split and hauled up to cabin. I sledded to cut wood up with a hand pulled sled. Great exercise for me. Had a nice fire going eat lunch in paradise.

Last edited:
Had the black garlic ramen at Ramen 101 and noticed a dim-sum shop next door with the line out the door. After lunch I looked again and they had a sign that said frozen dumplings 50 fir $35, so I bought a bag. Dunno what they are, but we'll find out tonight!

OH what a disappointment! This whole time I have been wondering if sign language isn't the universal language that Esperanto was supposed to be. So many of the signs about physical things are intuitive, like "elevator" is one hand straight up and the other hand makes a fist and goes up the length of the straight hand. Why would that have to be different in Spanish?

That's new to me too.

It appears people can never agree on anything, even something as innocuous as sign language. People will always say "But my way is better than your way, and you would better do as I do".

But I should not be surprised at this. I should be grateful no war has broken out over this sign language difference.

Last edited:
Driving all day today, and had great traffic most of the way. However, the last 10 miles of NC (southbound) took us an hour and a half. Stop and creep traffic. Usually when we sit in that kind of traffic we get to the end of it and there's nothing there. Very frustrating. Today, though, we finally got to the front and there were a ton of cops, fire trucks, etc. And there was a bulldozer pushing debris out of the road. And there was a semi truck and about a quarter of the trailer on a tow truck, and another quarter of the trailer on another tow truck. The rest of it was in a burnt pile on the highway. I don't know what they were hauling or how it caught on fire, but it burnt hot. Melted metal and cinders. What a mess. I hope the driver was OK. But this time at least we knew there was good reason for the massive delay.

I've never been so happy to see South of the Border.

Upgraded my 2nd half of a B2B cruise in March. Prefer balconies. Then made a pot of vegetable stew. Discovered it's easier to make a batch for 4 and put aside (freeze) 3. Feels great having a good option set aside when I get in from the symphony late.

Still plan on buying bc the SF Philharmonic tickets ..... just not sure which night

Usual morning coffee/e-mail/social media then some packing of wiring kits in the basement. Trip to the post office to ship it, then off with the pups on a 1.6 mile hike on packed snow 20 degree weather at our town's Rural Land Trust parcel. Back home and then some shop time doing some vintage intake manifold restoration. Back inside to do a bit of housework, the off the healthclub for racquetball. Grocery store stop on the way home to pick up ingredients to make lasagna tomorrow, then picked up some take out mac and cheese......

Flew back Monday from my first trip to New Orleans. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Today I went to visit my 99-year old friend (120 miles away) at her ALF. She was doing well and still recovering from the effects of a medication they gave her for 2 weeks after it had been discontinued because the side effects put her into the hospital for 3 days and rehab for 20 days (stayed with her all that time). The staff failed to reconcile the new med list she brought from rehab with her electronic med list from before her trip to the hospital and rehab. I made sure the 'bad' med was not on her hand-written orders from rehab but it never occurred to me to audit what meds they were giving her after a few days back at the ALF. I could kick myself!

I believe they have shortened her life because she lost 7 pounds during the two weeks they restarted the medication. The medicine negatively affects her appetite (among other things) which is deadly for someone that is 99 years old and now weighs only 103.5 pounds. Thank god I found the error or she would have most likely been dead by the end of this month.

Ice fishing and worked on a buggy spring chair for the ranch cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom