What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved the refrigerator to get at something I had dropped.

That turned into an hour and a half cleaning marathon of crud next to and under the fridge.

Last edited:
Finished up my Swifty scooter with the fenders I bought with it months ago. They wouldn't fit because I changed the tires to larger Hookworms when I added the 250 watt hub drive.

49785706161_aa9478a4e5_o.jpg

All spiffy now, a spiffy Swifty! Don't go fast (10-15) but has a 20 mile range and is a lot of low speed fun. Gonna get me shoulder bag and go grocery errands with it. After the covid is over of course.

DW has been really depressed about this virus thing. Today, I finally coaxed her to take a drive around town, as she has been in the house for about 5 weeks. It seemed to help her.:)

We were supposed to be on a Hawaii cruise on 13 March. Well that got cancelled, of course. There was a Roll Call for our ship, and one of the passengers was from Scotland, so we agreed to bring a wee dram of Scotch to share.
Since the cruise was cancelled, I told him I would make it up to him. I googled scotch miniatures and arranged to have them shipped to him. He received them today, and thanked me for them.
I am very familiar with technology, but i thought," Here I am in California ordering from a Danish company for something to be delivered to Scotland" and it was:)

You can get anything on the internet!

My internet wife search went not so good. However the dog park worked!

Got groceries after the senior hour almost everyone was masked. Many things are available now: sugar, flour, TP, PT, canned foods, rice and beans were available. I grabbed paper products and everything on the list.

After groceries were away I tackled installing a new pump and new hoses on my old Simpson power washer as the cheap aluminum threads stripped on the old pump. I had no idea if it was the same pump or not, the specs changed depending on what source I looked at. It's only 4 bolts how hard can it be? It wasn't, slipped right in and fit together.

After fighting the new hoses the input one worked but I didn't have the right connection for the new power washer hose. I reluctantly used the old one.

The thing ran a little hard at first but quickly took off. Power washed the garage and part of the driveway. Only outstanding issue is connecting the new washer connection up.

After I made a batch of cannibis infused white chocolate candy bars. I've found a product that is extracted with enough heat to decarbaloxate the THC to activate it. I can squirt that into some fat and add chocolate. Today was white chocolate with nibs. Each piece is about 25mg. Commercial edibles would be 50 dollars for the bar. I paid 20 for ingredients.

Dinnerr tonight was sous vide chicken thighs with rice, cream of mushroom soup, and lemon butter pan sause. After an hour and a half at 165° the thighs hit the cast iron pan at 500° with a topper heated to almost the same. I wish I had worn long sleeves as I pressed the topper down. Turned out really good, DW doesn't like thighs and she liked these.

She normally cleans up after dinner but I told her to go rest while I did it. She's been sick with a cold for 10 days now and is getting better and sick of being sick. I'm tired.

Last edited:
I became a Grandpa today! It wasn't much effort on my part. All I had to do was wait for the news. Mom and son are doing fine.

Congratulations, Hermit!!! Regardless of how close they are to your new home, I'm sure it will be longer than you would like before you see your grandson, but it's still worthy of celebration!

Got up, feet hit the floor, fed and watered the dogs, made coffee, went out on the deck with the dogs and checked email and world/financial news, took a nap. This retired life is hard!:D

Enjoyed a happy hour online game session with DD and DS. We all enjoy board games so decided to try an online version of one we enjoy. We FaceTimed for snarky commentary. It was great fun and we plan to do it weekly for the duration. As we were wrapping up, DD strongly reminded us to take this seriously and stay quarantined. Sigh.

Picked our first mangoes yesterday, got 10 nice ones. Still need some time to ripen but they look beautiful. This year we may get to eat the entire harvest. :)

Went to a nearby pitcher plant bog. They're blooming early this year. They are exotic and gorgeous. And no bugs! (They are carnivorous plants)

Picked our first mangoes yesterday, got 10 nice ones. Still need some time to ripen but they look beautiful. This year we may get to eat the entire harvest. :)

We may actually get to eat a mango from our tree for the first time since we bought the house in 2013. It's been a really early season, and we're going to be here later than usual. Ours are pretty big, but still green with a red blush. And still pretty firm to the squeeze. Do you pick them green, or do you wait until they turn yellow? I'm going off google, as we have no experience.

Walked the dogs, fed myself, tossed some trash and drank some cocktails.

We have gotten in the habit of going for a ride on Sunday . We go to a nearby park and walk . Sometimes we pick up take out on the way home . This little break keeps me sane and able to handle the isolation.

I baked a batch of the Double Tree Chocolate chip cookies. I did cut the sugar content a bit by using only 1/4 cup of white sugar instead of 3/4 cup. They are still plenty sweet. I will probably make them again.

30 mile bike ride. Some guitar practice. Home cooking, a good bottle of wine.

Walked the dog. Dug out the sewing machine because older son was complaining his duvet cover had a rip. (Seam had unraveled.) Then decided that since I had the machine out I'd give a go at making masks. Made 5 masks (one for each household member, and 1 for my sister.) They're not as well done as some of the ones I've seen online because I am *not* a seamstress... but they function well.

Then we ordered food from our favorite local restaurant. Yum.

The hospice where I volunteer asked if I would send some pics of my pet therapy dog to include in clients Happy Birthday cards so Sam and I did this. We miss visiting a lot :(

IMG_0679.JPG

I made a CAD model of a house I want to buy. This floor plan was quite common. I did some research, and found that in the past 12 years, that houses with that floor plan have been sold at least 414 times. There are 8 floor plans that are very similar. That family of plans has been sold at least 1260 times. In the area we are look at, it consists of 48% of the units that have been sold.

The floor plan allows me to remodel the kitchen and try different configurations. We can move the dining area around, and create a room that can be used as either a den, a computer room, or a third bedroom. There are several popular remodels that I have also modeled up.

I have also determined that I can park my utility trailer in the kitchen, if I find a different place for the refrigerator.

I made a CAD model of a house I want to buy. This floor plan was quite common. I did some research, and found that in the past 12 years, that houses with that floor plan have been sold at least 414 times. There are 8 floor plans that are very similar. That family of plans has been sold at least 1260 times. In the area we are look at, it consists of 48% of the units that have been sold.

The floor plan allows me to remodel the kitchen and try different configurations. We can move the dining area around, and create a room that can be used as either a den, a computer room, or a third bedroom. There are several popular remodels that I have also modeled up.

I have also determined that I can park my utility trailer in the kitchen, if I find a different place for the refrigerator.

Seals the deal for me.

Hermit is a grandpa? Now that’s something to shout from the roof top! I love thinking back on when the Danish Stork came by with ours.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom