What's Good About Being Retired?

What's great about retirement. We just came in from spending the day on the beach opinion Puerto Morales. Mexico. It is cold and rainy at home with snow f'cast for the weekend.

We decided fairly last minute to do a two week detour to Mexico on our way home from visiting in laws. Could not do this if we were working.

I never think about my work or my career. Just so happy that I made my exit from the rat race just short of 59. Life is good.

Not trying to be provocative with that title, just trying to get a little support in shifting my mindset. Maybe others will benefit from the discussion, too, if they're having similar issues.

My issue is that, as I approach retirement (in about 8 months), my mind focuses on the things I will be losing -- mainly, a paycheck, and also some social connections. Having a job and paycheck are a source of security that I've never been without (at least as an adult), so it feels a little scary to let them go.

My real problem is that I am more focused on what I'm losing by retiring than on what I'm gaining. That may be because I spent years encouraging myself to focus on the good things about the job, in order to keep myself going. But now that focus is holding me back, and I need to shift. I need to stop focusing on what I'm giving up and focus more on what I'll be gaining.

So, help me out. Let's talk about what is good about being retired.

There's nothing like your freedom.

OP here. Glad to see the thread is still going. Lots of great responses and ideas here. Lots of food for thought. I'll have to come back and provide some proper replies later, but for now, I am late for work :/ so I'd better go ...

I was forced to retired early at the age of 44, and I was unprepared how to spend all that extra time. Having to move out of town where it was more affordable, causing me to be far away for family and friends, it took about four or five years to adjust. Since then, I've become more and more satisfied being retired, and if I was prepared earlier, I would have came out that much earlier. I would never want to go back to a job again. Sometimes I would have dreams of rushing to work knowing I was late, with my head already on the chopping block for whatever dumb reason, maybe for not laughing at a managers corny joke etc... Then I'd wake up realizing how truly blesses I'm am, only thinking about what new healthy recipe should I cook today, what time should I go the gym, whether I will have time to catch that movie, and the list seems to get bigger and big. It doesn't even take as much to bring you joy as you once thought, especially when you stay healthy as you age.

The funny thing is, I see the same thing in most retired people my age and older, when they stay healthy. The ones who aren't as healthy for whatever reason, always find a way to find joy too, as long s they stay way from alcohol and drugs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom