What's your favorite drink?

I got burned out on wine and beer over the years and somehow just lost a taste for them. I used to love a real cold beer on a hot day. I never had a liking for "hard" stuff.

Now I don't care for any alcoholic drinks and just sip on a Coke Zero late in the day while coffee is my before noon favorite (black only).

Most recently we've been experimenting with drinks to choose one as a signature drink for an upcoming wedding, so we're stocked with much more alcohol than we usually are. The bride ended up selecting a Bellini, a mixture of champagne, peach schnapps and grenadine. I'm glad it's a simple one!

I've been on a minimize carb regimen for the past year. So I pick my beverages carefully.

Primarily beer...Coors Lite in bottles. 105 calories, 5g carbs per 12 oz.
Red wine once in a while.

For my daily beverage, I make iced tea using 32 oz boiling water, 3 large teabags of fruit herbal teas and 2 packets of stevia powder. I add another quart of water once the stronger mix cools down.

I rarely drink soda, but when I do I prefer regular root beer or ginger ale.
I dislike the taste of diet soda.

Hard liquor has never been attractive to me. The taste is too strong.
I will drink vodka with lots of ice, seltzer or water, and a spoonful of frozen fruit juice. I will make this in a blender once in a while if the mood hits me.

Currently there are 90 (depending on who you ask) categories of beer, and many of them have a number of sub-categories. Plus, off the top of my head I can think of several dozen world-class beers that don't fit into any of those categories (which is why the category list keeps growing).

Since I was about five years old, beer has been my favorite beverage, and it still is.

For other alcoholic treats, I like many German wines, many ciders (English or French mainly), and some meads.

The wonderful world of liquors has never appealed to me. I have no idea why.

On a normal day however, I'm most likely to be consuming coffee or water with a bit of salt in it.

Guess.... ;o)

Actually, a friend introduced me to really fine rums about 2 years ago as well and I've really been enjoying them. Rule of thumb so far is that mainland rums tend to be better than island ones and anything aged with a used barrel (ex. sherry for example) is nasty.

strong coffee with milk or cream.
water

Or if alcoholic (the drink, not me, lol)
red wine
grapefruit vodka martini (mixed stronger than a greyhound and served in a martini glass).
prosecco.

That's my order of preference. I drink water more than anything else. Gave up sodas years ago.

Bud Lite in a can, served warm.

B&B (Benedictine & Brandy, packaged together in the bottle) is my favorite winter sipping drink. In about 30 seconds it goes from your lips to your toes and warms everything in between.

Bourbon & ginger ale for more basic drinking. Eagle Rare is about as high as I go for that, I feel bad mixing anything pricier.

For beer I really like Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. More than one, and I'll switch to something like Sam Adams Winter Lager or a couple of the local microbrews.

For out of the norm stuff, my favorite is a vanilla rum liqueur made only in St Maarten by the Guavaberry Emporium. Drink it straight up. Good stuff! We generally by 4-6 bottles every time we go.

Normally I drink my coffee black. But I do like it with a lot of sugar (or sweeter) and cream.

For out of the norm stuff, my favorite is a vanilla rum liqueur made only in St Maarten by the Guavaberry Emporium. Drink it straight up. Good stuff! We generally by 4-6 bottles every time we go.

We'll be there for a day in February on the Independence of the Seas. I'll have to try it, though I don't think they'll let me bring some back on to the ship.

Carbonated water is my favorite. I have a Sodastream machine and make my own charged water. For alcoholic beverages either Patron coffee flavored tequila or Lucid absinthe

We'll be there for a day in February on the Independence of the Seas. I'll have to try it, though I don't think they'll let me bring some back on to the ship.

You can, but you have to "check it in" which means they take the bottles away from you and then return them to you the last night on the ship.

Note - they have a small store in that area when you first get off the ship. We don't usually stop there, so not sure if you can taste test there or not. If you go into town where the main store is, you can taste test to your hearts content. They have a wide variety of other liqueurs and rum....but the vanilla is by far my (and my son's) favorite. And if you get anything, they will box it up and actually deliver it to the ship for you....

Tap water is what I drink most of.

Half a bottle of Coke in the morning.

Hot tea with a teaspoon of honey in wintertime to take off a chill.

Once in a great long while coffee.

But if money and sobriety are no object, Long Island Iced Tea. Unfortunately I have a tendency to drink those as if they were regular iced tea. Along about the third one I realize the error of my ways....

You can, but you have to "check it in" which means they take the bottles away from you and then return them to you the last night on the ship.

Note - they have a small store in that area when you first get off the ship. We don't usually stop there, so not sure if you can taste test there or not. If you go into town where the main store is, you can taste test to your hearts content. They have a wide variety of other liqueurs and rum....but the vanilla is by far my (and my son's) favorite. And if you get anything, they will box it up and actually deliver it to the ship for you....

Thanks! I'll have to give it a try.:dance:

A Brief History of Booze

Misspent youth... highschool... old man with a greenhouse, made dandelion wine that he sold to us kids. Mason jars that he kept in an old cellar and sold for $.50.

Partied thru College with the lowest priced chianti from the Maine State Liquor Store. $.99 bottle... then, after the frat parties ended at 1 PM, and the girls went home... the young Korean Vets in their last year of college... emptied all of the leftover drinks, cans of beer, and whatever kind of alcohol or mixed drinks they (we) could find... poured the mixture through a loaf of bread, and partied the rest of the night on the few gallons that we colored with a quart of grenadine.

If there was anything left, we used it for the Sunday morning "get well" party, when the girls came back for the last day of the party weekend. (all male college)... They never knew... :blush:

Then long nights with fellow District Managers after the quarterly corporate meeting... best forgotten.

After retirement, in our senior community in FL, the $4/person parties... for 15 years... all the beer, wine or sangria you could drink included. We classified the parties as "one keggers, or two keggers"... Best part, no one ever got drunk... yeah... really!.

Now... when I remember... a one to five - 2 oz. martini at 4PM... and once in a while, a @$2.89 bottle of Winking Owl Shiraz from Aldi. Occasionally, in the summer, a can of beer, but that's always followed by a one hour nap. (sigh)

Ah, yes... as we used to say, "The days are too long... and the nights... not long enough."

Most favorite now? Iced tea.

Last edited:
Alcoholic - a good hoppy IPA, and nice red wine or a good peaty single malt

None alcoholic - a strong cup of black coffee

non-alcoholic - whole milk, water, weak coffee with cream and sugar (won't drink unless there's cream), real ice tea, hot chocolate
Not a drinker but had small taste at a Thanksgiving party of Viniq, ChocoVine Expresso and Vine Smoothie Peach. The Viniq doesn't look like much sitting on the store shelf but shake it up and it's a beautiful purple iridescent pearl color and stays that way in your glass. The ChocoVine Expresso looks like mud in your glass but the chocolate aroma is wonderful. The Vine Smoothie comes in several fruit flavors. So if you're looking for something different for the holidays try one of these.

My normal drinks are 12-15 year old Single Malt Scotch or a fine Brady - but, I am currently in a Dry Country so my poison is now Diet Sprite or Diet Coke.

When I was working 60 hrs per week: Coke Zero. Free from the doctor's dining room.

Now working two weeks per month, mostly 6 hr days: water, and when not on call, Chardonnay or Cabernet Savingion, California varietal. And for some weird reason, buttermilk.

I am finding soda kind of awful. And I am pleased I feel this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Canada Dry Seltzer water, regular water & Diet Coke. In the morning I like a good iced mocha with 1% milk(make these at home).
Alcohol - love Mac & Jack African Ale (local micro brew). Unfortunately I was recently diagnosed with celiac - haven't found a good gluten free beer. I enjoy KJ Chardonnay and Prosecco. Hard liquor drinks - Gin & Tonic (Tangueray) and a good Cadillac Margarita.

As a Brit, I abhor California's love of the local, extra hoppy IPAs. Give me a nice Pale Ale anytime. Right now I'm working my way through a pack of Goose Island Honkers -- a favorite from the decades I spent living in Chicago. Of course, all men know what they'd rather be drinking! :)

I'd have to say ice cold milk but by frequency mine would be Diet Coke as well. Black tea is in second place. Beer, wine and coffee were tastes that I never acquired.

Chocolate malted (with vanilla ice cream); chocolate ice cream soda; coffee with Silk French Vanilla creamer; Singapore sling (which the very hip and cool bartenders in West LA never heard of causing me to settle for a sunrise tequila); pina colada; strawberry margarita made with crushed ice; any drink that's red and orange that comes with a couple of cherries and an umbrella. Oh, yeah, a black Russian with vanilla ice cream (again). I don't like beer and I just never acquired much of an interest in wine. Regarding alcohol, whatever I'm having, one is my limit, more than that and I start singing show tunes--usually from South Pacific.

Back
Top Bottom