When does it feel real?

Ydog

Dryer sheet wannabe
Okay, tomorrow is my last day of w*rk but it just feels like I am going on vacation. My desk is empty, I have no meetings scheduled and no e-mails to respond to so I thought that I would start feeling something different. When will I start really feeling retired? :confused:

When your next paycheck does not show up?

Congrats.

No paycheck, I assume that is when panic kicks in.:eek:

Several weeks after pulling the plug, on a Sunday night, before drifting off, I rolled over and ask DW ‘You know what we have to do tomorrow?’ after a prolonged pause she said ‘Nothing?’ I said ‘That’s right’. We laughed and it’s been real ever since.

When you find yourself with a big goofy grin that you can't wipe off? Gee, let me know, I'm still waiting for that day. (Soon, though)

Congratulations!

Sheboyganite

Probably about 2 weeks or so after retirement. Prior to that it seemed like I was on vacation. Sometimes I still can not believe that I don't have to go to work even though it has been since 06/02/06! Congratulations and enjoy!

Congrats and welcome to FIRE. It seems real real to me and it's been only a month and 3 days. :D

Ydog congrats!!! Been gone same as Megacorp a month and three. I felt somewhat the same as you the last day. Once we got past two weeks (the longest vacation I've taken in several years) it started to sink in and now all I do is grin :D:D:D.

Congratulations!

It has been over two months for me and I am still waiting for the reality to hit. So far it has been wonderful not fighting rush hour traffic unless we accidentally forget and go out in the mess at the wrong times during the day...8-9 am; 11-1 pm and 4-6 pm. We also don't go out on Saturdays! Yuck! Going shopping at 10 am or 2 pm is great...nobody at the stores and no lines at the checkout.

We have been so darn busy since we retired we don't have time to think about not w*rking anymore! :D

I finished end of April.
One day I realized I was doing things "for no particular reason" as Forrest Gump would say.
I take pictures of the butterflies in my garden. Just because I am interested in what frequents my flowers. I patrol my veggie patch and make food from scratch. My son is getting married in two months and I am designing a jacket from Indian silk with a hand beaded and freeform sewn design on the back. One day a friend and I were going for a ride and we kept stopping to take pictures of the rolling hills, old barns etc. I go to the pottery studio when no-one is there because they are all working and play with the pottery wheels, and look at all the work the professional potters are doing at the studio. DH and I stroll through the nearby state land and smell the smells and experience nature. Last night we went for a picnic at a nearby lake, sat on the banks and felt the cool breeze in the mid ninety weather. We go to the many free or small fee concerts around here and just listen to the music. We read extensively. I keep notebooks of the creative ideas I have involving my various art forms. And I do some volunteer work at the local zoo and soup kitchen.

Why? Because we can.

when you can do this- realize you are spending your time doing the things you enjoy and not catering to the bean counters it will sink in. DH loves reading the paper cover to cover every morning and helping his Mom with a bunch of paperwork, or a friend who is really into yoga, or another who is resurrecting an old motorcycle and another who has a gigantic veggie garden, and even one who spends a huge amount of time volunteering at the local Salvation army... whatever it is you are doing it "for no particular reason." Besides you just wanna.

Back
Top Bottom