Join Early Retirement Today

Where did you retire?
Old 06-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where did you retire?

For those who pursued F.I.R.E in USA:

Where did you decide to retire? Did you stay at the same vicinity or chose another destination and why?

What major city and/or small town in USA gives the best bang for your buck in retirement purely from a financial perspective?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
For those who pursued F.I.R.E in USA:

Where did you decide to retire? Did you stay at the same vicinity or chose another destination and why?

What major city and/or small town in USA gives the best bang for your buck in retirement purely from a financial perspective?
Retired in Texas...you are in Sugar Land....I'd stay there.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Retired in Texas...you are in Sugar Land....I'd stay there.
Sugar Land and The Woodlands are 2 reputable suburbs in Houston but I think Katy's COL is lower.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sugar Land and The Woodlands are 2 reputable suburbs in Houston but I think Katy's COL is lower.
Pasadena and Deer park are probably lower cost than Sugar Land and The Woodlands. But the chemical plants are....well, you know!

There are dozens of threads here on "where to/did you retire to" and maybe try searching them out since it's been a popular topic here. Here's one to go through:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...re-109409.html
Old 06-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Retired in northern Illinois 7 years ago and still trying to get out.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Pasadena and Deer park are probably lower cost than Sugar Land and The Woodlands. But the chemical plants are....well, you know!

There are dozens of threads here on "where to/did you retire to" and maybe try searching them out since it's been a popular topic here. Here's one to go through:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...re-109409.html
Not sure if I want to live in Pasadena but Deer Park is a good place I heard. Conroe is another good one. The further out from the city you go the cheaper it gets and newer RE.

I will check them out.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Retired in northern Illinois 7 years ago and still trying to get out.
How come?
Old 06-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not sure if I want to live in Pasadena but Deer Park is a good place I heard. Conroe is another good one. The further out from the city you go the cheaper it gets and newer RE.

I will check them out.

I have a Conroe address and our village is still a Woodlands one. Conroe, Magnolia and Willis are growing like gangbusters. And are far enough out of Houston to not be affected by the crowds, big city stuff, etc.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired here in northern Michigan, where I grew up and spent most of my career. Eventually bought a house in central Florida, to get away from the long winters here. Snowbirding is the way to go, for me anyway.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How come?

Weather, taxes, scenery, and Iíd like to downsize
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a Conroe address and our village is still a Woodlands one. Conroe, Magnolia and Willis are growing like gangbusters. And are far enough out of Houston to not be affected by the crowds, big city stuff, etc.
Oh ok. Each suburb pretty much has what Houston has. Many are now Working from home like myself so it easier to move out to get a bargain and not have to worry about commute.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Retired here in northern Michigan, where I grew up and spent most of my career. Eventually bought a house in central Florida, to get away from the long winters here. Snowbirding is the way to go, for me anyway.
Where in FL?
Old 06-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Weather, taxes, scenery, and Iíd like to downsize
Fair enough.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mississippi. Not for everyone but I'm from here and still have a lot of friends around. Plus I live on a golf course of which I'm a member. I also spend a lot of time on the AL coast which is a nice change of pace.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

After planning a move to another state, we ended retiring right where we were (New Orleans).

We are happy here and plan to stay, barring the unforeseen. He's a New Orleans native and I have lived here for a quarter century by now, longer than anywhere else.

While still working, moving sounded so appealing. But once we retired, we realized that we were perfectly happy without moving and could save time, effort, and money by staying here.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:21 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We moved from Atlanta area to North Alabama getting ready to retire. We already had an inherited lake home there with a deep water 6 mile sunset view to the West and two Robert Trent Jones 18 hole golf courses on our street. We have the best big smallmouth and big catfish fishing there is out our front door.

We moved our main residence last year to 10 miles outside of Huntsville, The Rocket City and what's known as one of America's smartest cities. This is the #3 fastest growing city in the U.S.--per United Van Lines and we're satisfied with a high quality, ultra low COL place. It's great not having any property taxes because DW is disabled too.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:28 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Mississippi. Not for everyone but I'm from here and still have a lot of friends around. Plus I live on a golf course of which I'm a member. I also spend a lot of time on the AL coast which is a nice change of pace.
LCOL right?
Old 06-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
After planning a move to another state, we ended retiring right where we were (New Orleans).

We are happy here and plan to stay, barring the unforeseen. He's a New Orleans native and I have lived here for a quarter century by now, longer than anywhere else.

While still working, moving sounded so appealing. But once we retired, we realized that we were perfectly happy without moving and could save time, effort, and money by staying here.
Where were you going to move? NO is also LCOL.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We moved from Atlanta area to North Alabama getting ready to retire. We already had an inherited lake home there with a deep water 6 mile sunset view to the West and two Robert Trent Jones 18 hole golf courses on our street. We have the best big smallmouth and big catfish fishing there is out our front door.

We moved our main residence last year to 10 miles outside of Huntsville, The Rocket City and what's known as one of America's smartest cities. This is the #3 fastest growing city in the U.S.--per United Van Lines and we're satisfied with a high qualityq, ultra low COL place. It's great not having any property taxes because DW is disabled too.
Thatís a good LCOL area.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We researched Texas, Florida, and Nevada pretty extensively pre-ER due to their LCOLís relative to CA. In the end, we stayed in CA because weíve been here 30 years and have deep long-term friendships that would be impossible to replace. We did move away from Coastal CA to Palm Springs about 3 years after ER, but we kept our coastal condo in case we ever want to move back. We are renting it out to a long-term tenant for now.

The beauty of moving somewhere thatís only 100 or so miles away is that you can keep your old friends and see them often, but also make a whole new set of friends.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retire, state, usa