Share Your 2024 Milestones

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’ve seen a few scattered threads for various milestones and looked for a 2024 general milestone thread and couldn’t find one. So I thought I’d start one.
Moderators can merge as they see fit.

After reading a thread of a new millionaire, I decided to review my holdings. I was pleased to find we had added another $1M to our previous milestone. I was surprised because we have spent a lot over the past year on solar, a new roof and siding, plus an expensive bow window replacement.
Life is good.

Definitely didn't gain a million, but our accounts are the highest they have ever been, so that is wonderful to me.

I’ve seen a few scattered threads for various milestones and looked for a 2024 general milestone thread and couldn’t find one. So I thought I’d start one.
Moderators can merge as they see fit.

After reading a thread of a new millionaire, I decided to review my holdings. I was pleased to find we had added another $1M to our previous milestone. I was surprised because we have spent a lot over the past year on solar, a new roof and siding, plus an expensive bow window replacement.
Life is good.
This market is gangbusters. I'm up $1 million since last fall. Just crossed a very significant milestone for me. $7.5 million invested. @4% that's $300k/year which should support my current lifestyle, taxes, marketplace health insurance with a little cushion.

Work has been crazy stressful so if I get offered a package this year I'll likely take it. Though I'm only 54 so I may not make the age threshold of 55 which was the cut off last time it was offered. Hopefully next year though.

My initial goal was to have $1M in investments + savings by the time I was 50. I made it at age 49 a few years back. My 2nd goal was to have $1.5M by the time I retired at 55. I reached $1.5M last month. It went down $70K in the next 2 weeks but then rebounded back to $1.5M so this past week I re-allocated from a 75/25 mix to a 60/40 mix. Hopefully I'll retire in January next year at 54.

My initial goal was to have $1M in investments + savings by the time I was 50. I made it at age 49 a few years back. My 2nd goal was to have $1.5M by the time I retired at 55. I reached $1.5M last month. It went down $70K in the next 2 weeks but then rebounded back to $1.5M so this past week I re-allocated from a 75/25 mix to a 60/40 mix. Hopefully I'll retire in January next year at 54.
Personally I don’t know if $1.5M will be enough for me but I am 46 today.

Personally I don’t know if $1.5M will be enough for me but I am 46 today.
I think 1.5M should be enough for us. We live a rather simple life. Right now with both of us w*%king we averaged about $2.5K a month in spending over the last 12 months while putting the rest into our retirement plans. If we start out next year and withdraw $45K (3% of $1.5M) and my retirement plan automatically withholds 20% for taxes, that will leave us with $36K for the year, or $3K per month. Of course, we'll have to be responsible for our own insurance so we'll see how it works out for the first year and adjust as time goes on. Maybe the next year I'll bump up our withdrawal rate to 3.5% ($42K or $3.5K/mo.) or even 4% ($48K or $4K/mo.)
If FIREcalc is correct, it shows:

"Your spending in every year after the first year will be adjusted for inflation, so the spending power is preserved.

FIRECalc looked at the 109 possible 45 year periods in the available data, starting with a portfolio of $1,500,000 and spending your specified amounts each year thereafter.

Here is how your portfolio would have fared in each of the 109 cycles. The lowest and highest portfolio balance at the end of your retirement was $249,556 to $17,076,895, with an average at the end of $4,049,367. (Note: this is looking at all the possible periods; values are in terms of the dollars as of the beginning of the retirement period for each cycle.)

For our purposes, failure means the portfolio was depleted before the end of the 45 years. FIRECalc found that 0 cycles failed, for a success rate of 100.0%."

You only live once, right?

I think 1.5M should be enough for us. We live a rather simple life. Right now with both of us w*%king we averaged about $2.5K a month in spending over the last 12 months while putting the rest into our retirement plans. If we start out next year and withdraw $45K (3% of $1.5M) and my retirement plan automatically withholds 20% for taxes, that will leave us with $36K for the year, or $3K per month. Of course, we'll have to be responsible for our own insurance so we'll see how it works out for the first year and adjust as time goes on. Maybe the next year I'll bump up our withdrawal rate to 3.5% ($42K or $3.5K/mo.) or even 4% ($48K or $4K/mo.)
If FIREcalc is correct, it shows:

"Your spending in every year after the first year will be adjusted for inflation, so the spending power is preserved.

FIRECalc looked at the 109 possible 45 year periods in the available data, starting with a portfolio of $1,500,000 and spending your specified amounts each year thereafter.

Here is how your portfolio would have fared in each of the 109 cycles. The lowest and highest portfolio balance at the end of your retirement was $249,556 to $17,076,895, with an average at the end of $4,049,367. (Note: this is looking at all the possible periods; values are in terms of the dollars as of the beginning of the retirement period for each cycle.)

For our purposes, failure means the portfolio was depleted before the end of the 45 years. FIRECalc found that 0 cycles failed, for a success rate of 100.0%."

You only live once, right?

I am single, no kids. I am not sure what my expenses will be and I am to retire no later than 60.
For those of you who are up $1M what’s your asset allocation?
VTSAX. Almost $1M.

For those of you who are up $1M what’s your asset allocation?
Originally I was 33% Vanguard 500 index, 33% Small-Cap Index and 33% Vanguard International Growth Fund. (those were the closest available in my 401(k) plan that matched The Armchair Millionaire Model Portfolio) I kept that allocation for 15+ years. When I was 5 years from my planned retirement, I added some total bond index for an allocation of 25% each fund.
Now that I've reached my goal, My allocation is 40% total bond index funds, 20% each of 500 index, small-cap index, and international index funds for a 60/40 mix.
That's what worked for me. YMMV. :D

Back
Top Bottom