Where have you lived?

I'm amazed by the number of places some of you have lived. I hope you didn't buy at all of those locations and pay Realtor fees every time you moved.

F and I were just talking about this an hour ago. We don't see any reason right now why we would ever need to move again. Of course, situations change but so far so good. :-\

You should be able to afford in-home care when/if needed so I think you are done moving. :)

But it still rains a lot (it's the only way to get 40 shades of green).

Went to Ireland on an R&R from (beige) Riyadh in the mid 1980s.....the contrast with Saudi was so pronounced that the vibrant green actually made our eyes hurt.

Ranked in order of time lived in each

Caracas (large city)
Connecticut (4 locations, mostly medium size towns, also University housing)
New York (NYC suburb, multiple locations, multiple times)
Illinois (Chicago suburb, multiple locations, multiple times)
Florida (2 locations, medium size cities)
California (university town)
Texas (hippie town)
Ohio (small industrial city)
West Virginia (small industrial city)

You should be able to afford in-home care when/if needed so I think you are done moving. :)

That's what I am hoping! I guess it's possible that when all the baby boomers reach that age, in-home care costs might skyrocket. But then care facility costs would, too. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In the beginning.....there was Washington state, small town. Germany. Okinawa. 3rd time back in the UK....this time for good.

That's what I am hoping! I guess it's possible that when all the baby boomers reach that age, in-home care costs might skyrocket. But then care facility costs would, too. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My maternal grandmother lived alone with very little assistance until she passed at age 97. My paternal grandmother is still going strong living alone at age 85. You may never have to have assisted living. I don't think anyone in my family has ever had to go to assisted living...yet. You may never have to either.

Camden NJ.
Williamsport PA.
Memphis TN. (The longest 3 months ever).
KCKS
KCMO and around mostly small towns
Pagosa Springs CO.

Connecticut
Pennsylvania
Connecticut (again)
Texas
Florida
Germany
Connecticut (again)
Missouri
Connecticut (again)
Michigan
Connecticut (again)
California
Texas (again)

There is a reoccurring theme here.:D

Born on Long Island, NY.
Clearwater Beach, Fl
Back to Long Island, NY
Fullerton, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA
Imperial Valley, CA
Riverside, CA
San Antonio, TX
Sacramento, Ca
RAF Woodbridge, UK
Montgomery, AL
Sacramento, CA
Albuquerque, NM
Tokyo, Japan
Dover, DE
Woodbridge, VA
Southeast PA
Second home in Tampa, FL
Sold Tampa home for Condo in Hillsboro Beach, FL. Split time between PA and FL

I'm amazed by the number of places some of you have lived. I hope you didn't buy at all of those locations and pay Realtor fees every time you moved.

I didn't, making me an expert of bad renters, as in every person that rented a place directly before us had to be the worst renters in the world. I've got stories of what they left behind. I would never never be a landlord.

When I was in the mining industry, some of my co workers with families would buy a house, but if they were transferred by the company the company usually bought their house.

I have lived in 11 homes, but have only owned two. My early adulthood nomadic lifestyle made renting the best option. The first home I owned for 20 years; the second is my current residence. I did not give serious consideration to buying a home until I knew I could live in that city for at least five years.

Last edited:
How long do you have to be somewhere to have 'lived' there? Or just not in a hotel or leaving out of a suitcase.

How long do you have to be somewhere to have 'lived' there? Or just not in a hotel or leaving out of a suitcase.

Good question. I consider 'lived' anywhere 1) I was there long enough to pay utilities. I have a longer list of places I merely 'worked'. 2) I was there long enough to require mail delivered/forwarded there.

Chronologically
Born, US Army Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Jakarta, Indonesia
Taipei, Taiwan (then China)
Detroit, MI
Manila, Philippines
Seoul, South Korea
Washington Metro area
Houston, Texas
Phoenix, Arizona
In the mountains, Colorado.

Two of my 7 places were <6 months. Three if you count my new home where I have only been 2.5 months. I think if you were there long enough to pay a full months rent then it should count.

Chronologically
Born, US Army Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Jakarta, Indonesia
Taipei, Taiwan (then China)
Detroit, MI
Manila, Philippines
Seoul, South Korea
Washington Metro area
Houston, Texas
Phoenix, Arizona
In the mountains, Colorado.

At seven countries, I think you are the most global person to date!

Guam, Vienna Austria, Innsbruck Austria, stanford CA, Kingston Ontario, Boston MA, Burlington VT, Fairfield VT, craftsbury VT, El Cajon CA, Encinitas, CA, Del Mar CA, Vail CO, Greencastle IN, Houston TX, Palo Alto CA, Mountain View CA, Sunnvale CA, Rochester NY, Los Altos CA, Jericho Vermont, South Hero VT - no military involved :)

Born in New York City, moved to Miami, Florida at 2. Lived in Orlando, Oviedo and Winter Park, Florida and then moved to Winterport, Maine (in January!). Bangor, Maine for many years. After college, Seabrook, Newton and now Nashua, New Hampshire, where I've been since 1986.

Nashville, TN
Memphis, TN
Terre Haute, IN--swore off ever living where there was no pulled pork bbq
Memphis, TN
Nolensville, TN (outside Franklin) (Dolly lived close by us.)
Lawrenceville, GA
Muscle Shoals, AL--with the fabulous Tennessee River in the front yard.

That's a very perceptive comment.
For those of us who were moved around by Uncle Sam, it sometimes became a real hardship when a move reared its ugly head unexpectedly.

I bought three times during my military career. First was a condo in Colorado (I always got a VA loan with no down payment). I sold it four years later and almost broke even (lost a few thousand). That was in the early 70s.

Second time was a small house in Illinois. Sold it three years later and again almost broke even. That was in the late 70s.

Third time was the charm when I bought a condo in the DC area in the late 80s. Expected to be there at least four years but left after just two. Much to my amazement, I sold it as housing prices were starting to rise rapidly, and made a tidy profit that made up for the first two.

Bought another three times after those three, but all the more recent moves were by choice, not orders. Small profit or small loss (negligible) on each.

Now in what I think of as the last home, and fully expect to have a toe tag attached when I move the next time.

4 towns in Ohio, Delaware, central New Jersey, and near Detroit.

US States: OH IA IN SC CT IL MD VA CO AL FL
Countries: Sweden, France, Denmark

Grew up on the NE coast in England - coal mining village
College in West Yorkshire
Leicestershire for 18 months after college
North Yorkshire for 6 years
Dumfriesshire, Scotland for 2 years
North Yorkshire 2 years
Houston, TX 2 years
Baton Rouge, LA 15 years
The Woodlands, TX 4 years
Baton Rouge, LA 2 years
Retired back to The Woodlands and have been here 7 years

In January 2017 move back to North Yorkshire.

Back
Top Bottom