Where is Everyone Going?!?

I'm definitely an errand combiner, and more than I used to since I live in a remote place and avoid making two trips off the mountain in a day if I can at all help it. Typically I'll only leave the mountain 2-3 times a week by combining errands and planning ahead. During ski season I leave the house almost every other day and I come back home to change if I'm going elsewhere, but skiing is on the same mountain, ~5 minutes away.

I was just staying with my sister and BIL for the last week and they live close to a lot of things. She has no issue with coming home from work, and 20 minutes later going back out for a few groceries or another errand. They also have a new puppy, so one of them comes home from work mid-day, and if they are out for a long time in the evening (like the wedding reception) they will stop back home to let the pup out. I don't count trips, but they are in and out a lot, probably not as much as the OP says. But pets, kids old enough to stay at home but not for extended times, and aging parents could be a cause for returning back home a lot.

Another cause would be illegal activity. A drug dealer probably doesn't want to carry a lot of their product or cash around, so they make a deal and come back home to stash the cash and pick up more product for the next deal. I guess.

I drove a lot when we had kids at home too young to drive - some years they were at different schools (that could be 4 trips right there, depending on carpools), drive them to friends' houses, pick them up, drive to two soccer practices and pickups, drive to scout meeting and pickup, doctor appointment, orthodontist, volunteer at school myself, grocery shopping, etc. Their school zone included kids who lived miles away and across busy highways so I was always ferrying kids back and forth, especially since I worked from home and many of the other parents were at work and couldn't help with the week day driving.

These days we usually go out at least once a day for something fun. Last night it was a comedy show. Today we'll probably either go hiking at a park or attend a concert in the park depending on the weather. Plus I have a dentist appointment and have some errands to do today in a different suburb from the dentist so that will be at least three outings for me today.

Last edited:
I think those who are organized enough to combine their errands into the minimum number of trips have always been in the minority. Most of us are [-]scatterbrained[/-] less organized than that.

I'm generally scatterbrained, and have the diagnosis to prove it. But I've generally managed to combine errands so as not to come and go from the house many times a day. :cool:

I'm generally scatterbrained, and have the diagnosis to prove it. But I've generally managed to combine errands so as not to come and go from the house many times a day. :cool:

DW says scatterbrained is just another name for ADD, which she and all her siblings have. I always have to go to the store after her to get the things she forgets...even with a list!

I don't go out much because it seems to me when I go out I spend money. I am not a consumer anymore so other than food there's no need for me to buy anything. When I go out, its on Tuesday and Thursday for sure to teach my English tutor adult student at the Library. If I need the grocery store or something else, I try to do it on that trip. I fill the tank once a month.
I was once one of those that got a delivery from UPS or USPS almost daily as I used to have a shopping addiction. :) Its been under control for the last 3 years.

My neighbors on both sides (I am in a townhouse) are retired as well. One neighbor and her husband find a reason to go out everyday on purpose. They have 2 cars and alternate use of them. The other neighbors with 2 cars go out at least once a day; but beyond that I don't know as we don't speak.

Back
Top Bottom