Where to live in Florida?

I live in SoCal and love it, but I think I'd like FL even better. Sometimes I think there must be something wrong with me, but I've vacationed in South FL (during the summer) many times and I love the heat. We used to go to Hollywood. I'd run in the AM and get drenched with sweat and jump in the ocean. I loved it.

Maybe it's because I'm there on vacation I only see the good. Friends who live there tell us not to move there and they wish they could live in SoCal. Not meant to be disrespectful, I sincerely wish to call FL my home one day.

Also, for me, I find the eastern coastal cities more interesting than the west. There are so many cities up all along the coast all the way to and including Maine.

Last edited:
Lots of negative talk about the hot, humid summers in FL. Having grown up in the Midwest (Ohio Valley), let me tell you July and August are no picnic there either.

IMHO, it is cheaper/easier to rent 3 months in northern America in the summer, then rent 3 months in the winter in FL. More options too (like summer rentals of university student housing)

People will always find "something" to wing about. Yes we have a pretty hot couple of months here in NW FLA. It is 70* today so is it worth it? Well you tell me....

IMHO, it is cheaper/easier to rent 3 months in northern America in the summer, then rent 3 months in the winter in FL. More options too (like summer rentals of university student housing)

The problem we have with leaving the house for more than 2 weeks is the pool and general maintenance. AC, Etc. Yes we can hire someone to keep an eye on things. But when things go wrong, no one does or coordinates any repairs like the home owner.

Never had a pool, and don't plan to get one; but I'd fret much less about A/C going out while I'm away, than about Heating going out when temperatures are below freezing.

My ex-in-laws in south Florida didn't have A/C, and survived with open windows and fans. [Then again, they lived only a couple of miles inland, so they got the ocean breeze].

While I would never want to live without A/C, it is at least possible - as opposed to going without heat up north in January/February.

The problem we have with leaving the house for more than 2 weeks is the pool and general maintenance. AC, Etc. Yes we can hire someone to keep an eye on things. But when things go wrong, no one does or coordinates any repairs like the home owner.

It's a nice place. Overbuilt, like the rest of SWFL, but fairly upscale. There's a ton of watersports and nature stuff available, and it's really close to the Glades. It's about a half hour or so trip for us, but we go at least once a year to a bar/restaurant down there called The Snook Inn. I like it, but don't want to spend the money to live there.

What are best times to enjoy good weather but avoid seasonal rush?

October/November

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Babcock Ranch between Punta Gorda & Ft Myers looks interesting (eco-friendly orientation, and not just marketing). However, since FL is full, perhaps TX is a better option. 😁

Key West , only with all of the Hippies , billionaires and alternate LS people makes KW a party resort.

It's a nice place. Overbuilt, like the rest of SWFL, but fairly upscale. There's a ton of watersports and nature stuff available, and it's really close to the Glades. It's about a half hour or so trip for us, but we go at least once a year to a bar/restaurant down there called The Snook Inn. I like it, but don't want to spend the money to live there.

My FIL/MIL moved to there in the 80s. Wasn't so over built then.

The Snook Inn was their favorite.

There's a marina community south of Naples (with a Naples mailing address) in the Everglades, called Port of the Islands. They're trying to keep an Old Florida feel to it. It's near the 10,000 Islands area.

I think it was originally developed as a hunting lodge sorta place.

It's about a 20 minute drive south of the Collier Blvd./Tamiami Trail intersection which has all of a sudden started booming with commercial developments and several new large home/condo communities.

Port of the Islands - Naples, FL

omni

Back
Top Bottom