Where to relocate ???

With enough money, all things are possible. There are several places that will let you in if you invest in the country.

I would guess that a lot of folks here have this choice.... within limits. We do. But we are still looking... :)

All sort of moot though. Our Number 1 requirement, The Weather, tied with our number 2 Healthcare (or Visa Versa) are ALL that really count.

The only potential drawback IMHO is that some countries that have VLCOL areas tend to attract low to very income expats. Not in all cases and it does depend on region, but case in point is Mexico (Check out some of the Facebook groups, a lot of folks are very low income and can only qualify for the lowest financial requirements). BTW we like Mexico a lot, but would choose a MCOL region to move to. In these MCOL areas, at least the ones we have visited, property is as expensive as MCOL USA (~$400k for a nice place). We like the benefits offered by MCOL and HCOL areas in the USA and feel they are worth the extra expense. I can't imagine what it would be like living in a poorer area of a foreign country, if it is comparable to the same in the USA. While we cannot blame folks for leaving the USA to increase their Standard of living, it is not our idea of an ideal retirement.

Last edited:
Many South American countries are excepting US retirees but there is no “Retirement Visa” per se. You simply apply for residency.

I did it in Uruguay and it was fairly easy. Most important is that you can support yourself completely with income from outside the country, be in reasonable health and not become a burden to the state but contribute to it by spending money and paying VAT and property taxes.

But there are a lot of counties I wouldn’t want to live in however. Uruguay was a good fit, banking was not an issue but you can’t hold investment or interest bearing accounts due to FBAR or FATCA reporting. Better to keep your money in the US anyway. Weather is fairly mild, and good quality private medical care is available.

We haven't decided 100% on exactly where we will live when we retire in a couple years, but about 90% sure it will be around Apex/Cary, NC area. Husband is from southern Virginia/NC area and all his family is still there. I was born and raised in central coast of CA. I moved to San Diego in 1990 and DH transferred there in 1999. In 2015, after our only son graduated college, we sold our main house there and I moved overseas full-time to be with my DH, who took a FT international position there in 2012. Just got too tough on us with all the flying back and forth.

Anyone from Apex/Cary/Raleigh NC that could give us some insight into the area? We have spent some time there and it's just beautiful. We though we might like living down in Charlotte, but Raleigh was way more our speed. Lake Norman is awesome, but that entire area is just so crowded now. The seasons are something we both really miss and since we are basically "homeless" now back in the US, we can pretty much go wherever we want. Plus, it's close but not too close to all his family and will make it a lot easier on him having an elderly mom who will soon need more help. We are thinking maybe just getting place close to Jordan Lake area and hubby can join Freedom Boat club to get his boating fix. :D

I live in Chapel Hill about 20-30 minutes from the Apex/Cary area. Chapel Hill is a great place to live--a college town with very good health care and lots going on. I go to Jordan Lake to kayak and hike, very nice clean and uncrowded lake. We just had or first snow fall of the year yesterday--one inch!. This winter has been very mild, I have only worn my winter coat twice. This area has very nice weather for 3 seasons but summer is hot and humid. I spend my summers in the North Carolina mountains near Banner Elk--great summer weather there(no AC needed) and a beautiful place with lots to do. If you could swing it --3 seasons in the middle of North Carolina and then rent a place for the hot weather in the NC mountains. That is ideal.

PM me with any specific questions.

OP - We have the same problem, too many choices, after all the entire world is available.
I have found some of those articles basically lie to paint a nice picture.

International Living magazine comes to mind here. I actually don't think they lie, I think they sugar-coat things so much that all you can taste is sweet. Life isn't like that. The sour and the bitter are there to make the sweet so enjoyable. Living somewhere for a while is the key.

Vacationing is not the same as Living

and you'll need to live there like locals for a while. a buddy and his wife moved out of state based on a vacation visit. they were back in 18-months. vacationing and living there are two different things.

Absolutely right. Our plan is to not buy until we've lived somewhere for a year or more. The Caribbean has this problem in spades. Vacationing is not living, but the local real estate people don't touch on this AT ALL.

Many helpful posts here, thank you all for contributing. We're in the process of choosing a second community to live during the summer and fall. It's fun and at times daunting.

They do lie...

International Living magazine comes to mind here. I actually don't think they lie, I think they sugar-coat things so much that all you can taste is sweet. Life isn't like that. The sour and the bitter are there to make the sweet so enjoyable. Living somewhere for a while is the key.

International living does lie, but perhaps not intentionally. They get paid by local developers in foreign countries to promote an area and use the info provided by that developer instead of doing their own research. Or anyway, they used to...

And we all know developers lie....excuse me “exaggerate with extreme prejudice.”

Though not yet retired, our goal is to winter somewhere, so we built criteria that looked like this:

Warm - This rules out almost everywhere since we are only concerned about Jan-March temperatures. We also, for the moment, only want to look in the states.
College or University nearby - A great way to take in a play, see a good bar band, or watch a game.
Water - We disagree on this one. I think a great golf course pool suffices. My wife would like to see a big body of water.
Hockey - Yes. We're from Minnesota
Seasonal Golf Memberships OR excellent social golf program - I'm already a member of a course up here. I don't want to be a member of two courses, but I do want the socialization that membership provides.
Hiking and Biking (The hiking one really hurts southern Florida's intrigue for me)
Not super crowded - I have friends in Ft Myers that never venture from their communities because of the insane traffic.
Price - Though not a huge concern, it's still on the list.
FWIW, I've spent a fair amount of time in Ft. Myers and traffic has never been an issue for me. You will sit in traffic at certain times, going to certain places (think Sanibel Island or Ft Myers Beach on a weekend in season). But locals should know better, and know how to avoid the worst times. Bottom line: traffic is a consideration anywhere, but apply some smarts and you can go where you want, just not always exactly when you want.

Beware reality TV

Absolutely right. Our plan is to not buy until we've lived somewhere for a year or more. The Caribbean has this problem in spades. Vacationing is not living, but the local real estate people don't touch on this AT ALL.

As an added caveat beware of shows like House Hunters International or Caribbean life. I know that on Caribbean life the “Home Shoppers” were shown 3 properties, one of which was the one they had bought the year before and decorated themselves. Little wonder they chose it!

As an added caveat beware of shows like House Hunters International or Caribbean life. I know that on Caribbean life the “Home Shoppers” were shown 3 properties, one of which was the one they had bought the year before and decorated themselves. Little wonder they chose it!

This is exactly right. Our little island is in lots of those shows and we know many, many people who have been on them. It's very difficult to find even a small honest nugget of truth in each show.

The only issue we have with the Caribbean, having lived there for 2 years, and sailed back and forth from Grenada to Puerto Rico and visa versa a few times is, the islands are in the path of basically EVERY storm that comes our way.

There are a number of those, but the most remarkable example of that phenomenon I'm aware of is the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington. Look at Port Angeles, Sequim, and Port Townsend. Just across from Victoria, BC. Also right near Seattle. That area is in the "rain shadow" of the Olympic Mountains, and gets way less rain and more sunshine than the rest of the region. Pretty nice place.
The rain shadow also affects the Gulf Islands and Mayne Island is officially desert!

I’m surprised no one has mentioned a criteria of political leanings. For me I if we moved from our current location, I would want a state or country that agrees with my political views.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned a criteria of political leanings. For me I if we moved from our current location, I would want a state or country that agrees with my political views.

Another way of looking at it is that places with a very different political climate need you the most, so you can provide some balance. :cool:

Another way of looking at it is that places with a very different political climate need you the most, so you can provide some balance. :cool:

No, because we do not want to live in a state that has poor healthcare, infrastructure and services. These are usually directly related to their "Extreme" political leanings. If you spend little on these, you get little in return.

Saying that, we currently live in a state that does not completely align with our political preferences, however, we like living there, as they are sensible when it comes to those items mentioned above, all the other stuff is noise and posturing and we do not give a crap about that.

Some folks think that lowest taxes means the ideal, however like everything else you get what you pay for. Just look at the poorest states, we do not want to live in any of those. In order to provide residents with a decent standard of living the state/county/parish has to spend money. The less they spend (receive in taxes) the less services etc. their residents get. Some counties/parishes are better than others, again we do not want to live a poor county either, we are fortunate though, like others in this forum we do not have to. Money buys you choices, when planning for ER we considered that.

Last edited:
"Try before you buy".

I am currently going place to place using Airbnb rentals for 2 to 3 months at a time.

For example, I was thinking about Waikiki in Hawaii so I rented a place for several months and discovered the negatives: Hot and humid compared to California, high cost of living, too many tourists (natives are nice), island too small, etc

You really don't know what your retirement will be like at another location until you actually live there long term...and not during a short 2 week vacation.

Best of all, there is no commitment. Retiring to a new location and then finding out it is not working out can be a disaster. Every time I go to another place, I get energized in discovering what I would be like to retire. You really need 2 months or more of experience to compare the different locations.

I like the idea, in theory anyway. I wonder if 2-3 months is really even long enough to decide what it will be like long-term.

How many places have you tried so far? Did you ever settle on one?

I already live in a state with polar opposite political leanings. I’m used to it. So I’m not concerned about political leanings as being a criteria for a relocation spot. Besides, being around folks with opposite political leanings provides entertainment. Life would be boring if everyone around you is the same as you.

Well, I have lived in both Logan Utah and St. George Utah so I will give you my perspectives on both. 🙂
Logan is a beautiful area with lots of friendly people and a state University. However it is not warm in the winter; there can also be inversions that keep stagnant air in the valley, because it's not a windy place. It is gorgeous in the summer and has a beautiful fall. But if you don't like cold winters and snow it is out.

I currently live in St. George Utah and love it. So don't come here; it's full. 😉 Haha. Lots of sunny days and blue sky, red rocks and the desert. Hot in the summer but cools down at night. It is a dry heat of course. You have to like the desert to live in St George. Winter's can have some chilly temps but it snows only every few years and melts off quickly. Lots of outdoor activities and a smaller state University here as well. As an example of the difference between St. George and Logan temps is that it was 62 degrees yesterday in St. George but the high in Logan was 26. Brrr! If I were relocating though, I would honestly consider Mesquite Nevada. It used be a nondescript little town but now developers have planted a lot of Palm trees and really dressed it up. 😊 Only 40 minutes from St. George but has no state income tax! I'd consider moving there myself but have family here in town and rental property to take care of. St. George is only an hour and a half from Las Vegas and Mesquite is about an hour. There is a shuttle service that goes to the Las Vegas airport, and when you fly you can get good flights out of Las Vegas.
As others have said, if I were going to relocate I would rent a year first. It might be a pain but could save you from selling again in a short time.

The same here and this is where you see it's different for each person.

Love St George but on many extended snowbird trips the sprawl and growth has made it less charming. If we bought a place it would probably be in Hurricane. 15 years ago we thought Ivins was perfect,(hence my username) but due to overcrowding it's not for us.

Went to college in Logan it would be number two on my list..a wonderful friendly town.

Mesquite IMO is a town full of new housing that has no soul. I have no desire to ever live there.

City-data is good for general data. Crime, income, interactive data map... Pretty accurate for our neighborhood and area...

Definitely recommend extended test drives.

I agree...but actually to me, that's basically the point already. As in, extended test drives is basically living somewhere else for a time period. No reason when I make the "selection" that it has to be a long term commitment. For me I'll take a series of extended test drives and when it's all said and done, well, that was my life, thanks :greetings10:

Another resource is City Data forum. Not a quiz for you to take but a discussion forum about communities.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/

Ha shout out to CD! I've been a frequent poster there for, wow, 13 years! Brand new to this forum.

I would be interested in why you want to relocate.

I want to relocate because I just want to try living in another place. Been in the same state my whole life. Lots of great friends here but no friends we don't want I can't leave without. I worry that it's a bit of the grass is always greener mentality but I want to see. Can always come back. Always I figure we will have about 10 years from when the kids leave the house until they start to settle down somewhere. Can always move where they are then but for 10-15 years we can explore the world.

This resonates with me. I just want to live everywhere lol

As one of the few here who actually retired overseas I can speak from experience that it is a real possibility and a great experience. My area was once promoted highly by some of those magazines folks mentioned, although they had nothing to do with my choosing it. I know they promoted it because of financial incentives they were given by local developers.

Much of the promises of those articles were total fiction. But with just a little research the info is there.

Yeah I feel like in this day and age, there is information out there about everything. And you get to sift through it...there's plenty of unbiased (or at least non-sponsored) sources of information from folks who just enjoy sharing their experiences. Not paid advertisers like international living, etc.

"Try before you buy".

I am currently going place to place using Airbnb rentals for 2 to 3 months at a time.

For example, I was thinking about Waikiki in Hawaii so I rented a place for several months and discovered the negatives: Hot and humid compared to California, high cost of living, too many tourists (natives are nice), island too small, etc

You really don't know what your retirement will be like at another location until you actually live there long term...and not during a short 2 week vacation.

Best of all, there is no commitment. Retiring to a new location and then finding out it is not working out can be a disaster. Every time I go to another place, I get energized in discovering what I would be like to retire. You really need 2 months or more of experience to compare the different locations.

I love it. I'm looking forward to being you someday! :dance:

I like the idea, in theory anyway. I wonder if 2-3 months is really even long enough to decide what it will be like long-term.

How many places have you tried so far? Did you ever settle on one?

Hawaii, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, Miami, Vancover/Seattle, London.

All of the above have issues. I am leaning toward Santa Cruz/Monterey area because of the weather, the beach, less people, and it is near my home and family in the SF bay area.

In the 1970's I was in the Army and stationed near NYC and I loved NYC for the first year. After the third year I wanted to return to California. You are right that 2 to 3 months may not be long enough so I am a little bit more cautious.

Every time I visit a new location, I become energized by exploring the new area and meeting new people. If I do settle on Santa Cruz near the beach or stay home in the SF Bay area, I will continue to explore the world with Airbnb 1 or 2 months at a time as part of my retirement.

Santa Cruz:confused:? Expensive, crowded, growing homeless population, poorly run city and did I mention expensive? Beautiful beaches and wonderful scenery- - everybody wants to live here, rich and the homeless. We're trying to move out.

I am a major proponent of retiring overseas. In most cases it is a lower cost of living and a much healthier lifestyle. That is not to say I won’t return to live in the USA at some point but it has been a great experience and a wonderful time so far.

Back
Top Bottom