Why are some vices more acceptable?

I have another relative who tithes. Ten percent. Somehow they think it will get them closer to God.

DW has a niece that does this, and then starts a GoFundMe account to help pay for her sons travel baseball tourneys... :facepalm:

My wife had similar discussions, but all in fun a couple days ago. She spent $900 for two paintings, and I spent $575 for two Roger Waters tickets. I said, "Well at least you will have something to show for it. All I will have is memories and some photos." So far, I am still happier with my memories :)

AS a possible answer to your question, "cultural" experiences and most of all travel to Europe are in our current society methods of signaling virtue and class.

In this case though, the lady who wants to buy shoes may be in the right track. Jimmy Choos signal sexiness and class and obviously money and style sense, and this lady might just want some masculine companionship or even a candidate for hubadub#4.

Very little actually makes sense, unless you look at the social matrix surrounding the action or thought pattern.

Ha

The only solution to this dilemma is one has to pack half a dozen Jimmy Choo pairs on his/her trip to Europe, or to wear Jimmy Choo shoes to the Hamilton show.

I've been going to theaters every since I've met my husband, nearly 30 years. I don't think I ever had to pay more than $250 per ticket. I mean I see lots of musicals both in USA and in London.
Supply and demand. Show is still sold out. Earliest tickets i could find were 3/2018.

Beyonce came to Philly. Cheapest seats were 250. Barbra Streisand routinely gets 500 a tix

Supply and demand. Show is still sold out. Earliest tickets i could find were 3/2018.

Beyonce came to Philly. Cheapest seats were 250. Barbra Streisand routinely gets 500 a tix

Thanks for explaining why I will never see Hamilton, Beyoncé or Babs ;)

Thanks for explaining why I will never see Hamilton, Beyoncé or Babs ;)
+1 Beyond bragging rights, I've never been to a live concert worth more than $50 a head.

I was thinking of musical shows like Cats, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, etc..and not music shows. I know it cost more for music shows because I paid $300 per ticket for Sade and I sat way back. This was in 2012, IIRC, it's much higher now. Plus I felt asleep the whole time. Lol. I was accompanying my husband who's Sade fan.

Btw, my daughter got a ticket to Hamilton in LA, coming up soon. I'm sure she doesn't pay $2500. Maybe $100 at most. 12 of her friends are going.

Last edited:
When I became single again, I made a point of being well groomed, and had shirts and pants that looked good together on me. However, a female friend informed me one day that my shoes were torpedoing the whole look. Women take shoes VERY seriously. So, I bought several pairs of new shoes and I keep them polished and in good shape. :)

This is very true. I used to work where a shoe shine shop was near by. For no particular reason, I started getting my shoes shined. It was surprising how many women said something about how my shoes looked. I did that for many years. In fact, I think I'll get my shoes shined next week. I'll just have to find a place. It's a dying service (too bad).

As for men not knowing a thing about shoes, that may be true, but I can tell when a lady is well put together and the shoes will absolutely be noticed. It may well be able to be done for significantly less money than $800, but it's part of the package.

Guess this shows where I'm coming from. I didn't understand the question at first. I had to read it a couple of times. IOW I saw no difference (except the price) between Hamilton and the shoes. Both (to me) are primarily "experiences", not a "product" vs an experience. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who disagree with me or there would not be stores selling $1000 shoes. Viva la difference! YMMV

Jimmy Choo Shoes

Jimmy Choo Shoes

Trying saying that tongue-twister 5 times really fast.

+1 Beyond bragging rights, I've never been to a live concert worth more than $50 a head.

Although I can afford it, I draw the line at concerts that I find too expensive. I happily paid $110 to see Rush. But, I refused to pay $400 to see either Tom Petty or Fleetwood Mac.

+1

This a one reason DW and I carved out individual slush funds in our budget for "stuff we want to buy that the other cannot complain about" :). It is a sum of money for each of us that we can choose to spend (or not spend) however we want. There will always be goods and services one of us wants to spend on that the other would question, but each having their own personal slush fund takes care of that.

My wife and I set up the same kind of arrangement 30 years ago. I can honestly say we have NEVER had an argument about money in all that time. We have both had a great time buying each other gifts with our "own" money that we could have spent on ourselves.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It's not your imagination. When all the men are wearing round-toed clown shoes they bought for cheap, the one who invests in a good pair of well-cut well-fitting leather shoes is gonna stand out. Especially if he has a good mrmphbb [mod edit averted]

This is very true. I used to work where a shoe shine shop was near by. For no particular reason, I started getting my shoes shined. It was surprising how many women said something about how my shoes looked. I did that for many years. In fact, I think I'll get my shoes shined next week. I'll just have to find a place. It's a dying service (too bad).

As for men not knowing a thing about shoes, that may be true, but I can tell when a lady is well put together and the shoes will absolutely be noticed. It may well be able to be done for significantly less money than $800, but it's part of the package.

Although I can afford it, I draw the line at concerts that I find too expensive. I happily paid $110 to see Rush. But, I refused to pay $400 to see either Tom Petty or Fleetwood Mac.
I paid less than $20 to see James Taylor in Mountain View years ago. We sat on the lawn. It was nice and enjoyable evening for the whole family.
And we paid $200 per ticket to see Celine Dione, mostly for my oldest child, but she fell asleep the whole time. Money doesn't always bring happiness.

Dozen of Vices replies, yet nor a single one has compared and contrasted Hubert Humphrey with Spiro Agnew. Topic drift!

In general, the old WW2 era vices were made from much better steel. Most of what is available now is crappy imported cast iron. If the cast iron was any worse, it wouldn't even sink in water.

images

In general, the old WW2 era vices were made from much better steel. Most of what is available now is crappy imported cast iron. If the cast iron was any worse, it wouldn't even sink in water.

images

LOL Surprised this took untilpost #95.

images
Looks like a case of don't force it! Use a bigger hammer!

As for vices, at one time my three essential food groups consisted of caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. I am now reduced to one daily caffeine dose and one daily dose alcohol in red wine.

And yes I do appreciate a woman wearing elegant dresses and great looking shoes. Is that a vice? Late DW had mastered the art. Yeah I know, they tend to be high maintenance. ( that could be a vic:De)

Just yesterday my nieces carted off a bunch of late DW's shoes, hats, broaches etc. for themselves and their daughters. There still is about 50 pairs, for which new homes are needed. Some twenty hats, gloves, 30 dresses etc. are left, to go to a new home. The stuff is far too god to give to goodwill or salvation army. Looking for a reputable consignment shop.

But, just can't rush these things. All in good time.

Pretty familiar with each others finances in a general way.
I'm the only semi retired friend. 1 lawyer, 1 accountant, 1 business owner
Maybe there is a reason that you are the only one semi-retired? What do you think?

Me, I find my mid-8 figure retired friends have different priorities than me. One just bought a share in a car racing track and an adjacent condo in a desert region nearby. I asked him if residence number 5 might put any stress on him. He said no it was a package deal and they will rent it for him.

(He does not trust FAs and tends to trust real estate.)

It seems to depend on your perspective. I also have friends in our winter place who don't understand why we live where we do because it is twice as expensive as our winter place.

One of them has four homes because he has two kids and three geographies to deal with yet he is still working. Not for me.

Fortunately DW went through her shoe phase before we got together. She still likes shoes but no longer needs labels.

For a man to get between a woman and her shoes is almost as stupid as answering the question "Dear, do these jeans make me look fat?"
DW asks me that whenever we go out. But it is more subtle: which do you prefer, this outfit or that, these shoes or those, this earring or that. So I mostly get away with offering opinions and often she accepts them! When she rejects them she gives me her reasons.

DW asks me that whenever we go out. But it is more subtle: which do you prefer, this outfit or that, these shoes or those, this earring or that. So I mostly get away with offering opinions and often she accepts them! When she rejects them she gives me her reasons.

As we used to say in the medical business, when we ask for a consultation we are not obliged to follow the recommendations, only to take them into account when making our decisions. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom