Why aren't more retiring in Houston?

DH is a Houston native and we met there (work). But when we had an opportunity to choose a Texas city to live in, Houston was not on the list. We visit often but are very glad it is not home.

I think Houston has a lot going for it and I looked into the place. My permanent mailing address is there.

Climate-wise, I find it too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter (3 months with average lows in the 40s and 2 more months in the low 50s). It also rains all year with an annual total of about 50 inches and no dry season. I found the place just too big and possibly the most car-centric city I have ever visited. So that was just too many negatives.

Try Dallas - less humid, no refinery smells. If you live inside the loop in North Oak Cliff or East Dallas/Lakewood (White Rock Lake), it's like you are in small town in the big city. Laid - back and "Austin-ish" but with the rich mixed in. Lots of interesting independent shops, restaurants and businesses; less traffic, somewhat walkable, good public transportation with excellent access to downtown and the Arts District.

Try Dallas - less humid, no refinery smells. If you live inside the loop in North Oak Cliff or East Dallas/Lakewood (White Rock Lake), it's like you are in small town in the big city. Laid - back and "Austin-ish" but with the rich mixed in. Lots of interesting independent shops, restaurants and businesses; less traffic, somewhat walkable, good public transportation with excellent access to downtown and the Arts District.

+1 I'll take north texas over Houston area too, despite getting more hail/tornados

I recall a July due diligence trip to Houston. During lunch we decided to go for a short walk like we would commonly do in many other places in the US. Big mistake. Within 1/4 mile we were soaked with sweat. So yes, I am a sissy.
I see your problem.

You should have visited in August, where within 1/8th mile you'd be soaked in sweat AND unconscious.

Back
Top Bottom