Why it’s nice to be retired (another reason)

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I coordinate aperiodic informal luncheons for members of my college alumni group. We graduated 54 years ago. We had one earlier today at a pub/restaurant that looked like it might be suffering the effects of a labor shortage in the restaurant industry. We had one server handling a long table of about 15 guys. When we sat down I thought she looked stressed, perhaps from the thought of being stuck with us old codgers. When she started taking drink orders and serving drinks she was rushing around way too fast to get them to us. I called her over and told her the following:
- we’re a bunch of old retired guys who don’t have to get back to work after lunch
- as a matter of fact, none of us have anything important to do this afternoon other than shoot the breeze with our old friends
- and our wives are happy to have us out from underfoot for the afternoon and would just as soon we didn’t get back home too early
- SO, SLOW DOWN, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON’T KILL YOURSELF WAITING ON US. If something is served a little slow we don’t really care.

She seemed to appreciate it, noticeably slowed down and everyone - the server and those being served - had a stress - free meal.

I coordinate aperiodic informal luncheons for members of my college alumni group. We graduated 54 years ago. We had one earlier today at a pub/restaurant that looked like it might be suffering the effects of a labor shortage in the restaurant industry. We had one server handling a long table of about 15 guys. When we sat down I thought she looked stressed, perhaps from the thought of being stuck with us old codgers. When she started taking drink orders and serving drinks she was rushing around way too fast to get them to us. I called her over and told her the following:
- we’re a bunch of old retired guys who don’t have to get back to work after lunch
- as a matter of fact, none of us have anything important to do this afternoon other than shoot the breeze with our old friends
- and our wives are happy to have us out from underfoot for the afternoon and would just as soon we didn’t get back home too early
- SO, SLOW DOWN, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON’T KILL YOURSELF WAITING ON US. If something is served a little slow we don’t really care.

She seemed to appreciate it, noticeably slowed down and everyone - the server and those being served - had a stress - free meal.

Good for you! Sometimes the wait staff just needs a break from the rush. So many folks are in a rush at noon, they assume everyone is.

I particularly like the bold part above.

You probably made her day! A little kindness goes a long way.

Good job!!! The shortage is very real. We had a restaurant open a couple of days ago and they are already having to reduce hours because they are down to ONE COOK. DW and I stopped at McD's as we were leaving on a quick road trip and it took about 20 minutes to get our order...there was one person doing the drive through (one window open), making fries and tending to the single register inside.

I feel very bad for anyone that is in the restaurant industry right now.

How kind of you. I am sure she appreciated you telling her this.

friar1610

As others have said, well done. I could not agree more with your sentiment.

ms gamboolgal and I love being able to go out to eat at non rush hours and we do like to take our time.

We tell the waiter or waitress that we are in no rush and like to enjoy ourselves and take our time. We normally get drinks and appetizers for awhile before we order the main course.

It is so nice to be able to relax and talk and enjoy each others company - not having to worry about being somewhere.

Very nice story!

The world always needs more kindness.

Very nice. (now please don't tell me you asked for 15 separate checks)

Very nice. (now please don't tell me you asked for 15 separate checks)

When I set up the date with the restaurant, I asked if they could do separate checks. They said, “no problem”. So, yes, she did do that. But I told the restaurant to be sure to add 20% gratuities to each one. And I suspect most of the guys left a tip on top of that - I know I did.

Nice story.

Something I've done for years is to leave a much larger than expected tip whenever I sense it might be useful, and I always top it off with an extra $2 bill. Carrying half a dozen Jeffersons in my wallet takes hardly any space, and it's something that makes the recipient stop and say "Huh! How about that?"

I've even had folks come back and remark that they collected deuces, so I know they are often appreciated.

Another nice thing is that if I go back to a place where I've done that, occasionally I'll be remembered, which is pleasant.

I've done this for so long that every year when I go into my local bank to order a stack of $2 bills they don't even blink any more. Frankly, I do it mainly because it's fun.

Back
Top Bottom