Wine - Discussion, Travel & More

Did you go to Cahors? I've not been, it looks beautiful.
Not far, small old town on the Lot river, Saint-Cirq Lapopie, and the historic town was absolutely stunning. The wine was from Cahors.

Last edited:
I have a small batch of Lodi Zinfandel fermenting in case I need a little to add to my barrel of Suisun Valley Petite Sirah. I am also fermenting a small batch of Lodi Pinot Noir, as an experiment. Lodi's temperatures are hot during the day and warm at night. Most other great wine areas are hot during the day and cool-very cool at night. I am not able to source any other Pinot Noir grapes, other than the #500 from Chile I bought in the spring. That's an experiment, too.

Should be receiving the Petite Sirah in two weeks.

The selection there can be overwhelming. It is actually helpful to shop online and filter on the exact region or winery you are seeking, read reviews, etc. When I do go there I have something specific in mind.

Did you go to Cahors? I've not been, it looks beautiful.

I biked through Cahors and south of there along the Dordogne River. Very historic and scenic part of France. Many good wines including the Malbec which is not at all like the Southern Hemisphere versions.

I have a small batch of Lodi Zinfandel fermenting in case I need a little to add to my barrel of Suisun Valley Petite Sirah...
Duarte and Salvador Zins from Contra Costa close to Suisun Bay are some outstanding Turley really old vine zins. Still have some Duarte in the one of the coolers. Headed to Paso in a few weeks and need to see what they have available.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, we have booked a visit to the Rippon winery during our NZ travels next year. Looks amazing (even for NZ)!

(We are, I'm led to understand, going to hit wineries in each of the NZ wine regions. The advantage of a long trip.)

I also booked a guided tour for next year through https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/guides to help me understand the wines and other interesting places in the Czech Republic. When I think of the Czech Republic, beer is the first thing that comes to mind. However, Mikulov is one of the main destinations in the Czech Republic for wine lovers, where you can try some of the best locally produced wines. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikulovská_wine for more details.

A top 3 pinot noir for me is Meiomi.

Duarte and Salvador Zins from Contra Costa close to Suisun Bay are some outstanding Turley really old vine zins. Still have some Duarte in the one of the coolers. Headed to Paso in a few weeks and need to see what they have available.

I do like Turley's Zins, as well as Biale's. My 2021 Zin is a blend of Lodi Zin and some Suisun Primitivo. I can't buy any Zin from Contra Costa.

Forgive me for repeating myself for I have mentioned this on other wine topics/threads here.

As a winemaker, sulfites are a necessary substance that keeps the wine fresh, think freshly cut apple splices in water with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning(or oxidizing). The amount put in wine is usually at 50ppm, but it is a pH dependent additive. But that being said, white wines are usually lower in pH, but may still be kept at 50ppm, to keep them from browning. However, most people complain of "red wine syndrome" and complain about sulfites but it's still just a tad under 50ppm.

Dried fruit and cheese usually has sulfites in the 1000-1200 ppm, but also high in amines which the article mentions. The amines are dependent on which microbe created them. I for one, cannot consume any fermented beverage from Budweiser, as their proprietary yeasts create amines that give me a headache.

Wine - Discussion, Travel & More

I also booked a guided tour for next year through https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/guides to help me understand the wines and other interesting places in the Czech Republic. When I think of the Czech Republic, beer is the first thing that comes to mind. However, Mikulov is one of the main destinations in the Czech Republic for wine lovers, where you can try some of the best locally produced wines. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikulovská_wine for more details.

This is a fun area to visit. There are lots of paved trails in this area and renting an eBike is a great way to get around.

If you’re there in late August/September, make sure to try burčák.

ETA: this part of the Czech Republic is called Moravia and Moravians are known for wine. It’s the Bohemian part of Czech that is known for beer.

Here are some links for those that are interested:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweisser (aka burčák)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravia

Have fun! And please post a trip report if you get a chance.

Last edited:
Folks who like Malbecs - have you tried any from the original French region? I’ve really enjoyed several after visiting there.

Yes, several times. Always while we were in Europe.

For our stores we find French, Canadian and US reds, Malbecs,Cabs, etc, not nearly as good value in terms of price/quality as those we can buy from Argentina and Chile, and occasionally Portugal and Spain.

This is a fun area to visit. There are lots of paved trails in this area and renting an eBike is a great way to get around.

If you’re there in late August/September, make sure to try burčák.

ETA: this part of the Czech Republic is called Moravia and Moravians are known for wine. It’s the Bohemian part of Czech that is known for beer.

Here are some links for those that are interested:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweisser (aka burčák)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravia

Have fun! And please post a trip report if you get a chance.

Thank you so much for the additional information and links! I'm really excited to check out burčák, even though it's only available for a limited time. I'll be sure to write a trip report afterwards. 😊

Folks who like Malbecs - have you tried any from the original French region? I’ve really enjoyed several after visiting there.

Cot with a ^ over the o, is the French word/name of Malbec. It really gets to full ripeness so mostly used as a blending agent. It wasn't popular until it reached total ripeness in Argentina and California warmer climates.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I just returned from a walk on the Camino Portuguese. As a general comment, while walking in the smaller towns, it was very hard to spend more than 6 euros on a bottle of really good wine (e.g. Duro region wines). One bottle of Vino Verde would set you back 1.75 Euros. After walking all day by myself, one trick I used was to buy a bottle of wine and put out 6 glasses at my albergue. Pretty soon I had 5+ new friends.

But at the end of the walk I had 2 days in Porto. I can highly recommend, especially for tours of the Port producers (Taylor, Sandeman, etc.) but I visited a place that has been owned by the Portuguese for a long long time.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I just returned from a walk on the Camino Portuguese. As a general comment, while walking in the smaller towns, it was very hard to spend more than 6 euros on a bottle of really good wine (e.g. Duro region wines). One bottle of Vino Verde would set you back 1.75 Euros. After walking all day by myself, one trick I used was to buy a bottle of wine and put out 6 glasses at my albergue. Pretty soon I had 5+ new friends.

But at the end of the walk I had 2 days in Porto. I can highly recommend, especially for tours of the Port producers (Taylor, Sandeman, etc.) but I visited a place that has been owned by the Portuguese for a long long time.
Porto and the Douro region are pretty spectacular places to visit.

I agree with you. After several trips to Portugal over the years, including time in the Douro Valley, I have come to enjoy wines of that region.

During our trip last year I was amazed at the relatively low price/high quality of some of the Douro wines sold in grocery stores. One of my favorites sold for 5-7 Euros in stores like Pingo Doce, etc.

From time to time our local wine stores put Portuguese wine of sale at that price. Not often. If I am not certain I will buy a bottle. Then go back for a case it is a winner. Last time I purchased a case, last year, the store manager gave me a heads up to try it before it sold out.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but we did a chunk of the Bourbon "trail" in kentucky with two other couples last week.

Well worth the time if you have any interest in Bourbon (and other american whiskey). Buffalo Trace is the biggest/most organized place we visited, and they did it up right. Louisville was surprisingly nice to visit. We had an AirBnB in a beautiful 100year old neighborhood, and ride-share made it easy to navigate. Good restaurants as well.

Bottom line, for me at least, is that my palate is much more discriminating on wines than on bourbons--nice to avoid blowing dough on at least one thing!

I also tend to buy Australian reds. Party because we have traveled to Australia several times in the past and our Australian friends introduced us to many varieties.

Also, the AUD closely tracks CAD...at least it has for the past 12 years or so. Currency make a huge difference, IMHO, on wine prices/availability.

Just finished a bottle of Wynns Coonawarra Estate Shiraz 2017. Wonderful bottle in a lot that my son recemtly purchased for my birthday. And an incredible bargain based on quality/price.

My spouse and I agreed a number of years ago that IF we were ever to emigrate it would be to Australia. I guess that is why we keep going back. Wonderful people.

Last edited:
This may not be allowed, if so mods please remove, but one of the wine discount sites has one of my favorite wines on a flash deal. I bought some. I used to buy this wine at $34/bottle direct from the winery. They are blowing it out at $15.99 with free shipping.

https://www.wtso.com/current_offer

Spending this month in the Canary Islands and sampling their wines as we go. First winery was Bodegas Monje on Tenerife. As you can see on the attached picture, the setting of the tasting/tour facility was amazing (Zoom in to see Cactus bordering the vineyards!)

The wines were... O.K. :cool: Based on the first week in restaurants and at this one winery, I don't think the area is going to become our favorite in Spain--but we'll keep sampling!

Attachments

• Tenerife wine.jpeg
    Tenerife wine.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 1
Spending this month in the Canary Islands and sampling their wines as we go. First winery was Bodegas Monje on Tenerife. As you can see on the attached picture, the setting of the tasting/tour facility was amazing (Zoom in to see Cactus bordering the vineyards!)

The wines were... O.K. :cool: Based on the first week in restaurants and at this one winery, I don't think the area is going to become our favorite in Spain--but we'll keep sampling!

I just watched an episode of a show called Jose Andres in Spain on Max. Famous chef Jose Andres and his daughters go around to different Spanish cities/regions sampling food and wines.

The episode I watched was on Lanzarote, which is not very green, covered in volcanic ash.

However, they managed to grow all kinds of produce and of course harvest a lot from the sea.

They grow a blanc wine from green grapes which are watered only by condensation at night.

But instead of planting traditional rows of vineyards, they have these circular stone or brick structures around each vine.

https://www.spain.info/en/discover-spain/vineyards-volcanoes-lanzarote/

I just watched an episode of a show called Jose Andres in Spain on Max. Famous chef Jose Andres and his daughters go around to different Spanish cities/regions sampling food and wines.

The episode I watched was on Lanzarote, which is not very green, covered in volcanic ash.

However, they managed to grow all kinds of produce and of course harvest a lot from the sea.

They grow a blanc wine from green grapes which are watered only by condensation at night.

But instead of planting traditional rows of vineyards, they have these circular stone or brick structures around each vine.

https://www.spain.info/en/discover-spain/vineyards-volcanoes-lanzarote/

Oh, WOW! That is something that we've never seen. We'll have to check out both the vineyards and the wines when we are there in about a week.

Thank you! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom