Wine Tasting - Would you go in 2020?

BF and I are headed to Hermann. MO in a couple of weeks and we're playing it by ear. We're staying at the B&B I've used for years and I plan to ask the owners what the various wineries are doing. Fortunately, BF and I have similar risk tolerances- we're likely to agree on a go/no go decision. One alternative is the Tin Mill Brewery where you can order a "flight" of small glasses, each with a different one of their beers. Still a nice way to sample but with less interaction with others.

We would not go. In our late 60's. In good health and want to keep it that way.

Not willing to take a chance simply to sample some wine at a vineyard.

Last edited:
That does sound fun! Did you find other COVID-safe activities in the area or were you just there for the tasting?

We just visited the Biltmore Winery in Asheville and had the best experience ever......It's by appointment times and they only had us at the tasting counter. So it was just us and the wine expert.

IMO, now is the time to go enjoy......

Wife and I joined two other couples where we made reservations at two Oregon wineries. Masks required inside. We sat at a distanced table outside in beautiful weather with great views. Everything was well organized and all precautions were taken. We have visited several wineries in the last month and will continue to do so.

Wife and I joined two other couples where we made reservations at two Oregon wineries. Masks required inside. We sat at a distanced table outside in beautiful weather with great views. Everything was well organized and all precautions were taken. We have visited several wineries in the last month and will continue to do so.

We were in the Willamette valley two weeks ago and had a nice time tasting. As you mentioned, tables were spaced and because we were there on a Wednesday, only one of the four even had other guests!

BF and I are headed to Hermann. MO in a couple of weeks and we're playing it by ear. We're staying at the B&B I've used for years and I plan to ask the owners what the various wineries are doing. Fortunately, BF and I have similar risk tolerances- we're likely to agree on a go/no go decision. One alternative is the Tin Mill Brewery where you can order a "flight" of small glasses, each with a different one of their beers. Still a nice way to sample but with less interaction with others.

We went tasting in Hermann back in December 2018 and had such fun! It was an unexpected surprise.

I’ll be in Sonoma in 2 weeks. We are making appointments for tasting, and just like at home, will wear masks out in public.
That’s assuming, of course, restrictions aren’t tightened!

Will be stopping at one or two Fingers Lakes wineries.
Not doing the bus tour thing and will be going on a week day when no chance of a bus stopping.

I just got an email from one of the tourist sites that Napa County has been placed on the state's COVID-19 monitoring list. All indoor winery and tasting rooms may have to shut down again on July 9th. It sounded like the outdoor wineries would be allowed to stay open but the increase in county COVID-19 rates doesn't seem like a good sign.

In other news, the U.C. Berkeley pubic garden is opening soon under a reservation system. Most paths are wide open there and almost all the garden exhibits are outside so that seems safe.

That does sound fun! Did you find other COVID-safe activities in the area or were you just there for the tasting?

Western North Carolina is a great area to spend some time..especially now....We are Floridians and hang out in the mountains during the summer.

Along with touring the Biltmore (yes, face masks inside the home) and drinking Mr. Vanderbilt's wine....the small towns around Asheville are great for social distance exploring....Look at Black Mountain, Weaverville, Marion, Waynesville...and many others for downtown browsing and good restaurants/BBQ! and craft beer.

Also, many great hiking/walking trails where social distancing is the norm.....Mount Mitchell (highest peak east of Miss), Catawba Falls trail, Biltmore trails and gardens...and a zillion more. And of course, the ultimate in social distance traveling....the Blue Ridge Parkway. All open.

I'd stay clear of downtown Asheville. The crazies have trashed the downtown area. We were there two weeks ago and it's sad what's happening...Not going back but used to enjoy dining out and walking around. As is the case with other great cities. Graffiti, trash, trashing of art, destroying history. Sad.

There is a reason our forefathers had the expression during times of trouble: "head for the hills, boys".

Enjoy.

I'd go & keep my distance. Most are pretty open inside. A local bar has sheets of plastic hanging from ceiling between seats & I think it would work for tastings too. I'd walk out of tight spaces.

Western North Carolina is a great area to spend some time..especially now....We are Floridians and hang out in the mountains during the summer.

Along with touring the Biltmore (yes, face masks inside the home) and drinking Mr. Vanderbilt's wine....the small towns around Asheville are great for social distance exploring....Look at Black Mountain, Weaverville, Marion, Waynesville...and many others for downtown browsing and good restaurants/BBQ! and craft beer.

Also, many great hiking/walking trails where social distancing is the norm.....Mount Mitchell (highest peak east of Miss), Catawba Falls trail, Biltmore trails and gardens...and a zillion more. And of course, the ultimate in social distance traveling....the Blue Ridge Parkway. All open.

I'd stay clear of downtown Asheville. The crazies have trashed the downtown area. We were there two weeks ago and it's sad what's happening...Not going back but used to enjoy dining out and walking around. As is the case with other great cities. Graffiti, trash, trashing of art, destroying history. Sad.

There is a reason our forefathers had the expression during times of trouble: "head for the hills, boys".

Enjoy.
+1,2,3.

1. Western NC is gorgeous.
2. NC mountain vineyards produce some great wines.
3. Asheville sucks (Bryson City is another cool mtn town).

There is an eclectic hotel just outside of Spruce Pine run by a great couple. If in want of lodging, try the Skyline Village Inn. The balconies and decks have great mountain vistas. Their cave has a good selection of wine and beer. They also offer basic dinner and breakfast "in season." The history of the property is pure Americana.

I live in Oregon. Have been out twice to four different wineries. They take only reservations and everything is outdoors. Tables and chairs spaced accordingly. Servers wear masks. Flights pre-poured. Tables cleaned after each usage. Sorry but I'm not giving up this pleasure to worry about Covid. I support this industry. The settings are beautiful and calming in the middle of this anxiety causing chaos.

For sure! Keep your space and wear a mask. Those of us who are healthy should live our lives as that helps a lot of other people live theirs!

Enjoy.

I am in western NC right now--in the small town of Banner Elk near Grandfather Mountain, a beautiful place and lovely summer weather, I spend every summer here and normally love it. BUT right now I am feeling uncomfortable because only about half of the people in public places are wearing masks even though the NC Governor has required masks all over the state. The mask requirement does not seem be be enforced here. This county has less than 30 cases of Covid right now but it is only a matter of time.... I am staying in my cabin and hardly going anywhere.

Update: A friend tried to get virus tested (Bay Area) recently and found it very difficult. Apparently many testing sites were making appointments 2 weeks out and even then with a doctor referral. This has made me now question how accurate the current infection stats being reported in the news really are. People with mild cases could be recovered at the end of two weeks and not show as infected or simply not get tested at all.

With rising cases, even with a possible under-reporting due to a lack of testing, I guess we will be putting our wine tasting plans on hold for now until the infection rates start dropping again.

Update: A friend tried to get virus tested (Bay Area) recently and found it very difficult. Apparently many testing sites were making appointments 2 weeks out and even then with a doctor referral. This has made me now question how accurate the current infection stats being reported in the news really are. People with mild cases could be recovered at the end of two weeks and not show as infected or simply not get tested at all.

With rising cases, even with a possible under-reporting due to a lack of testing, I guess we will be putting our wine tasting plans on hold for now until the infection rates start dropping again.
Yes, I think you are right to be concerned that testing is way behind. Is the positivity rate rising in spite of delays?

Would definitely go.

I'm fact DW is beginning a book club this week at a winery.

Maintain distance and your risk will be low from everything I can determine. It is all outside.

DW went for Girls Outing a few weeks ago, and spent one day in Hermann, as they always do. I think Hermannhof is their favorite. Plenty of out side seating, and usually music on the weekends. Tin Mill is good for the flights, food is OK, but I think it is all inside seating? Or maybe that was just because it was a cold rainy day in October the last time we were there.

If you don't mind driving up the road a bit to Defiance, I will put in a plug for some friends that own Sugar Creek Winery. Very good wine, and they have a vodka made from grapes (Judgement Tree).

I'm working on the theory that enough bourbon will keep the virus at bay. But just to be safe I'm staying home while I do the experiment.

My daughter works at a "nicer" Napa Valley Winery. Her's reopened a couple of weeks ago to outdoor tasting only and with reservations required. Luckily for them they have a beautiful large covered patio area so it's easy to follow the guidelines.

With us having great summer weather now, things at her place are almost back to normal minus fewer customers not allowed in because of limits. I drove down Hwy. 29 through Napa Valley last weekend and you'd never know we had a pandemic going on. Busy as always.

If you don't mind driving up the road a bit to Defiance, I will put in a plug for some friends that own Sugar Creek Winery. Very good wine, and they have a vodka made from grapes (Judgement Tree).

Thanks for the suggestion- haven't been there so we might try it!

Back
Top Bottom