Wish-list for Downsized Home

In floor heat- it is efficient and we tend to want warmer as we age.
House or rooms planned to maximize sunshine in the living areas.
All door handles with levers rather than knobs.
Electrical outlets and internet outlets well planned for use and gadgets.

Thanks. I knew this was a great place to ask this!

The stairs thing is interesting and we have considered it. My 'perfect' house is a raised ranch with a level entrance and large 'basement' windows but considering our grandparents who thrived in houses with many stairs into their late 80s and 90s it makes me wonder. Definitely will be looking for a master bedroom with ensuite on the main floor. Big yes on the wide doors and walk-in shower and grabs plus seat.

I'm going to disagree with almost everyone and say that if you want a basement then get one. You're 62 and 66 and could conceivably be able to use stairs for another 20+ years. Sure, one day you won't be able to but for the next couple of decades you can enjoy the basement. Also, going up and down the stairs a couple dozen times a day as a workout will help maintain your leg strength and mobility as you age.

Just make the stairs wide so that in the future you can install a chair lift if needed.

I'm going to disagree with almost everyone and say that if you want a basement then get one. You're 62 and 66 and could conceivably be able to use stairs for another 20+ years. Sure, one day you won't be able to but for the next couple of decades you can enjoy the basement. Also, going up and down the stairs a couple dozen times a day as a workout will help maintain your leg strength and mobility as you age.

Just make the stairs wide so that in the future you can install a chair lift if needed.

The risks of a fall are pretty abstract until you know an older person who has experienced it.

My previous dentist slipped descending into his basement. He broke his pelvis, hip, and several ribs and vertebrae. He lay on the floor in agony for the better part of a day waiting for his wife to come home from work. He required several surgeries and months in a nursing home before he recovered enough to return home. He never worked in his profession again.

Anecdotal and unlikely to happen to you? Yes. But it made an impression on me. I am in my 60’s and am unwilling to live in a house with a basement (might feel differently if I lived in tornado alley). Imo there are better ways to exercise than climbing basement stairs.

Disagree, but I'd favor doing away with the stairs, as a knee or hip replacements in your 60's will make you want one level of living. Funny thing about friends, now 78 and 76. When we moved into our two story, aging-in-place house, with two master bedrooms on the first floor and a house totally designed by the former owner for a severely handicapped child, a house in which we do our entire living primarily on the first floor, -- our friends told us why we needed an elevator going up to the second floor? We told them we didn't need it, but it could be used for impaired friends or us, if we ever became wheel chair bound and needed to go upstairs. They laughed at us and said they like using the stairs at their house.

Well, on the several times they have stayed with us, and camped upstairs in one of our bedrooms, they never used the convenient and easy to climb L shaped stairs -- used the elevator every time! Now, in their own home -- the stairs there have become a major issue to them -- one of them had 2 knee replacements and the other has major mobility issues. In fact, one of them is pulling on the stair railing such that it constantly needs work.

So much for those stairs!

I'll come at this from a different angle, we "upsized" to a 1456 sq/ft house from the 768 sq/ft mobile and apartments we used to live in. This size seems perfect for a couple. We have three bedrooms, one is our master, one is my home office, the other is my wife's craft room/guest room. Plenty of room for privacy and moving around, but small enough to keep clean and heat efficiently. Most important, we have no wasted space. Every room in our home is used almost daily.

As others have already said, all one level, 36" wide doorways, curbless shower (ours has no doors or curtains either).

High or vaulted ceilings really help make a small space feel much larger.

Walk-in closet in the master is much better than bi-fold or sliding doors. Our built in dresser and shelving in the closet saves a lot of space that would otherwise be taken up with furniture in our bedroom.

Minimize hallways in your floor plan. They just waste space. We only have a small 6x6 "hall" room in the center of our house. Also, consider furniture when designing a floor plan. I designed ours with a straight shot from the front door to any room in the house, no tight hallway bends to try and get a couch or mattress through.

Aim for as "square" of a house as possible. Our 40x40 house has 160 linear feet of wall space, while a nearly equivalent 20x72 house would have 184 linear feet. That means more materials to build, and more area for heat loss. A long narrow house usually means a long space wasting hallway too.

A kitchen doesn't need to be huge, it just needs a good flow and work triangle. I always have to laugh at those huge kitchens on HGTV shows where the fridge is 15' away from everything else. That will be horrible in daily use. I built drawers in all of our lower cabinets whenever possible, much easier access. Our kitchen is only about 10x12, but we have more counter space and easier access than a lot of much larger kitchens. Make sure all the doors and drawers can open without interfering with each other.

Definitely two bathrooms. Or at least 1 and 1/2. Even with just the two of us, two toilets are a must.

Go all electric for heating, hot water, AC, cooking, etc. Gas will be phased out over time, and electric gives you many options (solar, wind, hydro, battery, generator, etc.). Not to mention gas reduces indoor air quality, especially in new tighter homes.

Have redundant heating systems in case one fails. We have in-wall electric wall heaters, a mini-split heat pump, and a wood stove.

If possible, add a battery backup system for power outages, especially if you live in a rural area.

Install electrical boxes with conduit runs to the crawlspace and/or attic. It's impossible to predict what wiring technology will bring in the future, and conduit makes it easy to run new cable, ethernet, fiber, or whatever as technology changes. I've changed our cable runs a few times over the last 19 years, and have never regretted installing them. More would have been better.

Location is a personal choice. Some folks want to be in-town close to the all the action. I prefer to live in as rural of an area as possible. We're about seven miles from the closest grocery store, and about 30 minutes from the nearest hospital. Unfortunately, our area has grown up too much over the years. We have too much invested in our current home to move, but if I was doing it over I would move even farther out if possible. Especially if we were retired and didn't need to make the daily commute.

My answer is an elevator or platform lift. We can have our multi floor cake if we want.
Putting in the space for it is no big deal with new construction.

Last edited:
Disagree, but I'd favor doing away with the stairs, as a knee or hip replacements in your 60's will make you want one level of living. Funny thing about friends, now 78 and 76. When we moved into our two story, aging-in-place house, with two master bedrooms on the first floor and a house totally designed by the former owner for a severely handicapped child, a house in which we do our entire living primarily on the first floor, -- our friends told us why we needed an elevator going up to the second floor? We told them we didn't need it, but it could be used for impaired friends or us, if we ever became wheel chair bound and needed to go upstairs. They laughed at us and said they like using the stairs at their house.

Well, on the several times they have stayed with us, and camped upstairs in one of our bedrooms, they never used the convenient and easy to climb L shaped stairs -- used the elevator every time! Now, in their own home -- the stairs there have become a major issue to them -- one of them had 2 knee replacements and the other has major mobility issues. In fact, one of them is pulling on the stair railing such that it constantly needs work.

So much for those stairs!

The OP wants a basement. This is their final home, I say go for it and build what they want.

A stair lift or elevator can always be added in the future. Or, they can install one when they build.

The OP wants a basement. This is their final home, I say go for it and build what they want.

A stair lift or elevator can always be added in the future. Or, they can install one when they build.

That’s why we added the third garage bay. We use it as our “basement”.

https://youtu.be/Ef9QnZVpVd8

Single story, 2-3 bedroom, 2 baths, 2 car garage, fairly flat, smaller yard with minimal trees,
1500-1700 Sq ft.
Adequate for 60's and would work for aging into 80-90's.

Most important is the check the neighborhood and town to make sure it has all the things you want and need.

The above describes our choice, all except a grade school one block over, makes for a bit noisier neighborhood. However, 4 out of 5 neighbors surrounding our house are retirees, so it is very quiet. And we have all lived here for at least 20 years.

- one level
- two bathrooms, at least one of which with a walk-in shower with built-in bench and grab bars
- 2.5. car garage. extra room for work bench, etc
- no steep walks between driveway and entry doors
- two entry doors on separate sides of the home
- each room wired for internet, roof TV antenna and cable tv
- space for home office (not in a bedroom)
- close to shopping and medical
- community with it's own police and fire/EMS departments

When I bought my condo I wanted to be on the third floor so no one was on top of me. I made sure the building had an elevator. Since I live alone I bought a 2 bedroom with 855 sq ft and it’s the perfect size. Even when my son lived with me for awhile it was big enough.

You might be surprised at what you can find. We downsized 10+ year ago, and our townhome/condo has many of your desires, as noted below:

Is this in a 55+ community?

Did you build this new?

Is this in a 55+ community?

Did you build this new?

No and No. Though probably 75% of residents are over 55.

We just got lucky when looking. We also have an indoor pool (open all year) and an outdoor pool (mid May to mid Sep). And two pickleball courts. HOA fees are $275/month, and that is with the first increase in 10 years. All outdoor maintenance covered, as well as insurance for the structure, but not the finish work.

Yes, we have one shared wall. Never been a concern. We also have a private patio behind the garage that is about 20'x40'.

BTW, most sales happen before listed in the MLS.

No and No. Though probably 75% of residents are over 55.

We just got lucky when looking. We also have an indoor pool (open all year) and an outdoor pool (mid May to mid Sep). And two pickleball courts. HOA fees are $275/month, and that is with the first increase in 10 years. All outdoor maintenance covered, as well as insurance for the structure, but not the finish work.

Yes, we have one shared wall. Never been a concern. We also have a private patio behind the garage that is about 20'x40'.

BTW, most sales happen before listed in the MLS.
Did you check the reserves against the reserve study?

I have to admit I did not. I will talk to the Board President, who is also the County Assessor. I am pretty sure things are in order, but you make a good point.

You want to make sure they 1) have a reserve study and 2) they have adequate reserves otherwise as common elements age and need to be replaced, there will need to be special assessments back to the owners.

If they haven’t increased dues in 10 years, that to me is a red flag especially with pools and such.

We downsized a few years ago and remodeled that house to suit us so can speak to this. That said, this house is really too large for us so we plan to downsize even more. Anyway...

I agree about one story if possible. It is not always possible. We've been looking all over the country and in many areas there are very, very few 1 story homes. If you get a 2 story though try to ideally have the master on the first floor. If that is not possible then get a house with a guest room/full bath on the first floor.

If you must have stairs make sure they are wide enough and configured so you can install a stairlift at some point.

Think about how you use your space. This will vary by people. So, for DH and I, we both spend a lot of time on our computers. So separate offices for each of us is very important. We currently use spare bedrooms.

For our master bath we did a huge remodel and took out the tub and tiny shower and replaced with a large walk in shower with no door. We could if needed wheel a wheelchair directly in there. We put in large doorways where we could. Our new outside door is 36" wide to make it easier for people to bring things in.

We have 2 main living areas. A large living room and a family room. But -- we don't need them both. Neither one is used often. And, we could do just fine with only one. We don't entertain large groups so we don't need space for large groups.

One thing that may help when downsizing is for your new smaller home to have high ceilings. Our home has 12 ft ceilings in the main living areas plus a lot of natural light and this really makes it feel quite spacious.

Also for me some type of view is essential. So many of the newer neighborhoods are very high density. I do not like looking out my window and seeing neighbors’ walls close by.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will add to my wish-list. It would be hard to actually find a place in our part of the world without a full basement of some kind so I think we will definitely wind up with that. Why a level entrance raised ranch with walk out is the ideal in my opinion. Master and ideally one other bedroom on main floor. Interesting my one neighbour has this exact layout. Maybe I will talk to him! Definitely will want some protection from nearby homes. Hedges are common here so may look for that or the ability to put them in as we like the green rather than fences.

We aren't really averse to steps, especially if they are mainly going to be used by visitors and we likely have many years before they would be an issue. We would maximize safety with dual banisters, good lighting, and whatever is recommended.

Last edited:
Tons of great info in here. We love our fireplace, and it was the main reason we didn't tear this house down and working on rebuilding it. Being you can't build one new, your limiting your choices. I would make a list of the ideas in here you like, and keep them in mind when looking at locations that fit your wishes.

We left 1800 SqFt 3 bed/2 Bath with 1500 SqFt detached 2 story Shop/garage.
Rebuilding 960 SqFt with attached 2 car garage. The house has basically 4 rooms Open kitchen with a bar counter into the great room. 1 bath, smaller bedroom will be a hobby room that can be used for guest. We have full hook ups for our camper, and its can serve as a guest house...

One thing we added next to all our sinks are built in commercial soap dispensers - the pump kind. We got them to match the faucets. No more soap dishes, plastic liquid dispensers or stand alone dispensers.

Coming up with a wish list for a perfect downsized home wasn't too hard. Finding that home and location is much harder, and buying such a home in a competitive market location was even harder. Be prepared to pay top dollar if you can find it.

After 4 months trying in 2019, we finally “settled” for and bought a nearly perfect house/location - above our (unrealistic) budget and 30% larger than we wanted or came from! That said, after 4 years we’re thrilled with the new home even though it has more space than we wanted/needed. On the bright side the assessed value has appreciated 43% since we bought it, down from 61% appreciation at the peak of the recent market craziness. Maybe we’ll try to downsize again, but moving again is a daunting thought…

If you want a perfect home in a competitive location you’ll probably have to build, compromise or settle.

Last edited:
Large, open area for entertaining family/friends (even if only family on holidays). The rest of the house can be small if you wish, but you will be happy with an adequate family room/great room configuration.

We did just that with our dream acreage: A 2200 sqft main house (single story ranch, no step, wide doors, no-step walk-in shower, etc.). And another 4000 sqft "fun house" for hobby rooms, party hall, guest bedrooms, etc.

A single level home. If you live long enough, climbing stairs becomes an issue.
We were of this mindset, but 2 years ago bought a 2 story and if the time comes it has room for a home elevator which is why it wasn't a deal breaker for us, now at age 70.

Back
Top Bottom