Wish-list for Downsized Home

We had an elevator in one of our houses. Not all they are cracked up to be.
They are slow.
Need regular maintenance
If you use the second floor regularly, you’ll find excuses to bypass the elevator.
A retro fit could easily run $30k or more and that’s if you have vertical closet space or other spaces open vertically.

Imo there are better ways to exercise than climbing basement stairs.

There are, but some people don't exercise at all. My mother won't "exercise" but she will take the time to do extra flights of stairs each day.

Programmable garage doors

Consider something like the Genie Wall Mount Pro Series.

We got this and it’s so much quieter! I supposer it’s no big deal if it’s off by itself, but ours is below a bedroom and it’s makes a real difference.

It also has options for battery backup (works when there is a power outage).

Our contractor suggested it and while it cost a little more, we like it a lot.

We had an elevator in one of our houses. Not all they are cracked up to be.
They are slow.
Need regular maintenance
If you use the second floor regularly, you’ll find excuses to bypass the elevator.
A retro fit could easily run $30k or more and that’s if you have vertical closet space or other spaces open vertically.

A neighbor of ours went the route of prepping for an elevator, but not initially putting it in.

They have what is essentially two closets aligned along with the structural supports and electrical access needed to “easily” add an elevator in the future.

They don’t need it now, but for some reason think they might.

If you want a perfect home in a competitive location you’ll probably have to build, compromise or settle.

+1

Even with my "Dream Home", I had to make one compromise. The laundry is in the opposite corner of the (one story) house, from my bedroom. I am not a fan of lugging big laundry baskets around! Too heavy!!!

So, I bought this laundry cart, which is amazingly tough and durable and easy to push, though not cheap. Problem solved! I also use it to bring groceries in from the garage.

Oh, and another compromise was that the yard was a jungle, with gigantic trees and bushes everywhere. So, the first thing I did was hire a guy to bring in workers and remove everything growing, re-grade, bring in topsoil, and then sod the (new) lawn.

Personally I wouldn't buy a home with a home elevator in it, because I have a phobia about elevators. It's hard for me to ride in even commercial elevators and the thought of getting trapped in a home elevator is more than I wish to consider. Also I think the stair lifts are too slow and would drive me nuts. Plus, I enjoy a smaller home so one story is perfect for me.

Here's my back yard and garage as seen from my back door; the garage door for my Venza is to the left of the photo.

Attachments

• back lawn 03_21_2016.jpg
    back lawn 03_21_2016.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 64
Coming up with a wish list for a perfect downsized home wasn't too hard. Finding that home and location is much harder, and buying such a home in a competitive market location was even harder. Be prepared to pay top dollar if you can find it.

If you want a perfect home in a competitive location you’ll probably have to build, compromise or settle.

Yes for sure but getting the list together will help us get an idea of what we are more willing to compromise on. We are very lucky in that our second home has many of the features that we would want in our primary home, it's just that it is relatively isolated. Even moreso as we get up in years. Building would be the way to go if it weren't such a hassle and also mean likely tearing down a perfectly good house. It's amazing how house design and tastes have changed through the years.

Here is partial list of what we had built for our forever home. We focused on low maintenance and expected mobility challenges.

Single story with minimal thresholds at entry doors only. No steps on the property anywhere.
Metal roof.
Removed all grass, and have native low maintenance shrub landscaping
outdoor natural gas bib for the BBQ
Paddle handles on all faucets and doors
Minimize hallways, and wide enough for wheelchair
Relatively small ~1400 sqft
No garage, but attached carport
commercial grade on demand water heater/radiant heat
no carpet

What we might have got had we known:
power window opener for the hard to reach windows
Central vacuum (recently installed)
better privacy fencing

A neighbor of ours went the route of prepping for an elevator, but not initially putting it in.

They have what is essentially two closets aligned along with the structural supports and electrical access needed to “easily” add an elevator in the future.

That is the way to do it.

Consider something like the Genie Wall Mount Pro Series.

We got this and it’s so much quieter! I supposer it’s no big deal if it’s off by itself, but ours is below a bedroom and it’s makes a real difference.

It also has options for battery backup (works when there is a power outage).

Our contractor suggested it and while it cost a little more, we like it a lot.

Yep ours is quiet and I can program it to close in case we forget.

Our design has the staircases wrapping around the elevator shaft, and it will be open on two sides to let the light through.
I like the short flights with landings so it is not one big slog up the stairs, and we have other paths for furniture so nothing needs to get around the corners but humans.
it is large enough for any of the residential elevators, but it will also work with a platform lift.

6117315a-558f-4e6b-8984-8d4732db0d41.jpg

Given the cost of energy (gas/electric), I would want an extremely well insulated home (6" walls, foam insulation, quality windows, and efficient HVAC, solar depending on location;

One story design, open floor plan, but perhaps with an upstairs game room or a nice finished basement, hobby room;

a cooks kitchen with a good sized pantry and plenty of cabinet space with pull shelves in the lower cabinets;

large 2 car garage with storage features;

large walk in closets;

reliable high speed internet;

every room wired with at least cat 6 ethernet;

security cameras front and back;

we live in a gated community which I like, that includes front and side yard maintenance;

relatively maintenance free landscaping on a not too big lot < 15K ft2;

covered patio/screened in porch on back of house; we just added synthetic turf in our backyard for appearance and low maintenance purposes.

I don’t see the need for a one level house. I’m happy as long as there is at least one bedroom on the main level. We’ve lived in 2 and 3 level homes for the last 40 years. I’m averaging 30 flights of stairs per day according to my watch, so hopefully stairs won’t be a problem in the future.

Location, location. location. Make sure there are no (profanity excluded) barking dogs. For some reason my neighbors let dogs bark incessantly. it spoils my nap.

I don’t see the need for a one level house. I’m happy as long as there is at least one bedroom on the main level. We’ve lived in 2 and 3 level homes for the last 40 years. I’m averaging 30 flights of stairs per day according to my watch, so hopefully stairs won’t be a problem in the future.

For me it’s more than just practicality if we have mobility issues. I think a one-story home feels more spacious than a multi-story home of equivalent total sq footage.

We downsized 6 years ago and in a 1,150 Sq ft cottage, pier & beam, so a few steps into...

It's a 3/1 & tiny closets. DW would like 1.5-2 baths & indoor laundry, but only for convenience. The kitchen is 10x14-ish & is just the right size for us. Back patio is 360 sq ft screened & 3 seasons (best add-on, imo). Allows for nice dinners for 10-12 outside.

Our 2 car detached garage is oversized for laundry and lawn, but we could use a 3rd car spot as I have my shop there currently.

Lot is <8k sq ft & is just right & 2 very large trees that keep utilities low. Electricity and gas are very low, maybe average $150/mo all in.

We put the tankless water & hvac in the attic. Changing the filter is a pain, but only every 3 months. Utilize attic space for storage, maybe a small space with tubs.

I make custom furniture to fit exact spaces, so we try to optimize with that in mind. 2 DGK's get the spare room & office for play time.

We're hitting 90-95% of our needs & great neighborhood. City life is wearing on me, though. Property taxes are getting out of hand for the retirement crowd (I'm not there yet, but see moving eventually to lower this specifically). No income tax outweighs it at the moment...

We're going through the same contemplation process now. DW is both a former engineer and current artist and she's playing around with different ideas. I'm seeing lots of responses here that are very much in line with our thinking as well.

We're trying to be very mindful of the things that just flat out work in our current house but which we likely never even think about. The worry is that as we plan what a new place looks like, we'll somehow miss making sure those things that work today are part of the picture instead of designing a place that only fixes faults in our current house.

One example recently brought up. It's pretty common for kitchens to be at the back of a house with easy access to a patio. She brought up the need to get groceries from the garage to the kitchen without having to hike through several rooms to get there. So kitchen and garage relative placements are important to her.

My own personal favorite is that the washer/dryer must be on an outside wall. Not the case in our current place and cleaning out the dryer vent as I have to now is a PITA and something the old-version of me isn't going to want to do.

It's the little things that get ya!

For us the bigger question we need to resolve first is the "where will the house be?" question...

Cheers

Last edited:
For me it’s more than just practicality if we have mobility issues. I think a one-story home feels more spacious than a multi-story home of equivalent total sq footage.

100% agree. We live in the smallest house we have ever had - 2200 sq ft - all one level. It feels huge. We don’t have hallways and we have cathedral ceilings. Big windows. It lives light and airy.

I'm going though a similar thought process. We have lived in this house for 30+ years.
The things we have not figured out yet.
Should we move? We like the location. But have considered moving closer to friends and family in a different state. Unfortunately house prices are crazy where they live.

Should we "fix" our current house? That could be disruptive. But might be the best solution.
Things I'd change with my current house. No going up and down stairs. Or at least no need to go up and down stairs. Simple, move the laundry machines upstairs. Walk in shower, but then we would have no bath tub. And it would be expensive, and disruptive. I like the idea of a big garage. I wonder if the town would let me convert my back yard into a big garage.
No matter what we do. It will cost money.
Do not confuse downsizing with saving money!

I bought on the third floor because the ceiling in the living room is vaulted with skylights. I removed the top cabinets in the kitchen. The woman before me removed one of the front entry closets and put in a big breakfast bar. She also put in an attractive built in cabinet floor to ceiling on the back wall of the dining room. That holds many kitchen items.

This made my condo an open floor plan and made a big difference in a small space. When I go in one with the original floor plan it’s claustrophobic.

Do not confuse downsizing with saving money!

Every option we are considering costs more money.

Here is ours, for Evansville IN:

Must Have

Quiet, residential street
3+ br 2+ bath
1800-2200 sf
Screened porch, or a place to build one
Fireplace, preferably wood-burning or insert-capable
Big (400 sf +) area for crafting, preferably with great natural light
At least 1-car garage
This is intended to be our age-in-place home, so:
Accessible entrance to ground floor
A downstairs bedroom and bath, or a room that can be used that way,

Preferred

Basement [tornadoes not common, but possible]
2-car garage, attached preferred
Kitchen with island or peninsula, with sink facing great room
A nice shower enclosure in the master suite, not a tub with clammy curtain
RV storage space
Gas for cooking and heating
[preferred location in city]
1-story
Very low maintenance yard, at least some fenced for dog. [@rk911 - room for antennas]
Rentable space within, over garage, or similar, especially if near University

=============
We got all of the must-haves, and all of the Preferred except the basement, nice shower [we'll get this done if we can ever find people who want to do the job!], and rentable space. Also, although these items from all of the above suggestions were not on our list, we got:

walk-in closet
nice patio off the sunroom (but down two steps from the kitchen)
laundry in the "mudhall"
pantry (not exactly off the kitchen, but close)
lazy susan cabinet in kitchen
yard barn, 8x12 (it's Indiana, everyone has one)

I changed all the doorknobs to levers, put in digital locks on the outside doors, added cameras and a bunch of Echo devices. We ripped out ALL the carpet and put in LVP flooring. The RV barely fit in the driveway, so we widened it 18 inches when we added some concrete to the patio.

Last edited:
Yep - if the OP is used to space, peace and quiet, and a pleasant setting, then they will need to carefully consider how much they're willing to sacrifice on this front in exchange for downsized senior-friendly living. In my case, my screened porch with a pleasant water view is (almost) priceless.

The conundrum is easy to state: humans - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. :popcorn:
While I pretty much agree with everything everyone has stated, a great view is what sold us on our house and it changes how you feel about life everyday!

Other things, available high speed internet with good mesh router setup. convenient to supermarket and supplies. Now that I don’t commute to work driving for 40 minutes annoys me. Ideal would be a cafe or market 15-20 minute walk. Timers and remote control for things like lights, HVAC, music. They days of getting out of bed as I am falling asleep to turn of the lights in the house are over

We had retirement accommodations in mind when we bought our ranch home 23 years ago. We have no plans to physically relocate or downsize. Our 2 bedroom/3 bath/ 3 car garage home is more than we need but it is nice when company comes for the holidays. If we were to move now, with home prices as they are, we would end up with smaller home that cost much more. We have been mortgage free for 30+ years. The home is near shopping, doctors and hospitals. Suburban location.

Our downsizing issue is decluttering. Can't seem to decide what "heirloom" items to let go. We make plans to go from room to room and create a love it or not so much pile like Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. We do donate items to charity but we still have too much so it gets put away in closets and forgotten.

DW and i both experienced the process of removing items from our parents homes after they passed. It was a chore. So we try to keep that in mind with regard to our son.

We have had success agreeing not to accumulate unnecessary stuff when we make our purchase decisions. So it's a start.

Last edited:
We downsized 5 years ago.

Have been working on our downsizing wish-list and figured that this was a great group to ask for suggestions. I searched the topic and didn't find any threads that really fit.

The question is, 'What items/features/qualities would be on your 'essentials' list when looking for a smaller home to downsize to?'

I realize that many of the answers will be very individual but thought that there would be many good ideas here. If you want to try to put yourself in our place, I can give you a little background so responses could be tailored. Of course, feel free to share any 'non-applicable' items you wish.

Background is that I about to turn 62 and DW is 66, I am largely FIRE'd for 9 years and DW has finally decided to pack in her part-time gig, we are both healthy and active. Four children are 29, 28, 26 and 24. All but the youngest, who is doing a PhD locally have moved out. No grandchildren. Have owned current house for almost 30 years. Way more than we need. Now excess bedrooms and bathrooms, several rooms that we are seldom in, huge walkout basement, cavernous garage, 1 acre lot, pool, creek, lots of yard with mature trees, thirty plus years of accumulated stuff... exhausts me just listing things. Over the years, we have travelled a great deal and have always been content with smaller digs such as the apartments found in Europe. When I was working I'd often get put up in 2 bedroom condos for 1-4 weeks at a time and really enjoyed a more compact living space. The issues I can see with condo/apartment living are: no green space to garden in, being right on top of neighbours, space if grandkids do materialize and the psychology of 'condo fees'. So leaning to a single family home with a small manageable yard but with enough inside space to host family guests.

What would you put on the wish-list? Maybe even consider if you were going to build this house - what features would you want? What would the neighbourhood be like, what would be nearby? Thank for your thoughts.

5 BR 3K+ sq. ft. 2 story (with basement) to 3BR 1800 sq. ft. 2 story TH (no basement)

It was a new build.
Most neighbors are empty nesters and/or retired, so fairly quiet.
Stayed in same general area we were before.
Have a lovely covered patio that backs up to nice communal green space. Room to plant if that's your thing.
HOAs $120/mo--covers trash, cable, snow removal & mowing
Not gonna worry about grandkids at this point; can always move again if we find this isn't a good fit at sometime in the future.

We did compromise. Originally wanted ranch with a basement. Our neighbors have this--but I HATED the floorplan. Not open plan like ours, master MUCH smaller & off the back of the kitchen. Would have been more practical if one of our kids moved back (and the boys have for a bit occasionally between rentals), BUT this is for US.

No basement means storage required creativity--luckily our garage is slightly oversized. Front wall has shelves for "garage" stuff. One side wall we put in shelving units with tubs. (ironically quite a bit of it is the kids stuff! DD lives in TX, so we need to bite the bullet, load up the car & take her tubs to her since she bought a house & now has the room)

We LOVE it. SO much easier to care for, just the right size for us.

Back
Top Bottom