Wonderful Thing Happened Today

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I went fish and vegetable shopping in Chinatown this afternoon, and I was tired when I finally walked home. I washed up, got a glass of wine and sat down to look at the forum.

Then I looked up from my screen- and my landlord has cut back the overgrown laurel bush outside my window and now I have a beautiful view of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains! I could always see water and mountains from my bedroom, but that room is too small to do much besides bed stuff in there.

I was home an hour or more before I noticed.

Ha

I was home an hour or more before I noticed!

Ha

Sir, either you are a forum addict or there have been some excellent engaging posts today.

Sir, either you are a forum addict or there have been some excellent engaging posts today.

Maybe both. Clearly I am addicted; I'm about to close out my sixth year on this forum. :)

Ha

I went fish and vegetable shopping in Chinatown this afternoon, and I was tired when I finally walked home. I washed up, got a glass of wine and sat down to look at the forum.

Then I looked up from my screen- and my landlord has cut back the overgrown laurel bush outside my window and now I have a beautiful view of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains! I could always seen water and mountains from my bedroom, but that room is too small to do much besides bed stuff in there.

I was home an hour or more before I noticed!

Ha

Nice. I love the view both looking towards and looking out from Seattle. (I spent 8 months living in Bremerton back in 1984).

A wonderful surprise indeed. :)

I hope your landlord doesn't raise your rent because of the view....:cool:

That view sounds wonderful--now you'll sit down to look at the forum and forget to post since you'll be too enchanted by the bay and the mountains.

That view sounds wonderful--now you'll sit down to look at the forum and forget to post since you'll be too enchanted by the bay and the mountains.

Or hes too enchanted by the forum to look at the bay and mountains :cool:

Some of the Olympic Mountain/Sound views are just stunning. DW and I are househunting on the Olympic Peninsula next week.

You can't eat scenery? Hmmm...

We used to live within walking distance of the ID, too, on Beacon Hill just behind the VA hospital. Miss those views. And the food around there is great and cheap. If the little Sichuan place that used to be in the strip mall on the NW side of the 12th & Jackson intersection is still there you should try it out -- the owner is from Sichuan and the food is pretty authentic. Great dumplings, too -- you can buy a big bag and throw them in the freezer for a quick dinner when you're lazy.

lhamo

PS: THis is the place -- looks like it is still open and still has great prices. Try the braised beef noodle soup. And the mapo tofu. And the dumplings, both northern and Sichuan style. And pretty much everything else.

http://sichuan.cwok.com/

Last edited:
had a few glasses of wine myself last night. Perhaps the bush had never really been there? Just kidding of course. reminded me of three large maples that were leaning towards the house several yards from the encroaching forest. Funny thing is I never saw the forest for those three trees. Once they were gone I was amazed to find I had a view.

There is something about looking at a beautiful, natural view that is good for the soul. Somehow brings things into perspective. Enjoy!

You have all the luck, Ha! :D I toured Chinatown yesterday and my view has not improved.

Just realized I have a job to do. The tree in front of my window has grown above and through the power lines and needs to be trimmed back. The power company is probably responsible but I’ll let the property manager know. Never cared for that tree, it will never block my view but it puts out white flowers this time of year that kick up my allergies.

I stayed in Vancouver, BC once and kept the curtains open all night because it had such a beautiful view of people skiiing.

Then I looked up from my screen- and my landlord has cut back the overgrown laurel bush outside my window and now I have a beautiful view of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains!

Ha

Cool! Next time you pay the rent, you should drop him a thank you note. Maybe he will keep it that way.

Just a reminder of how some free, simple pleasures can really enrich life beyond the relentless pursuit of "stuff." Very cool.

Just a reminder of how some free, simple pleasures can really enrich life beyond the relentless pursuit of "stuff."
Yesterday at sundown, DW and I were sitting out beside the motor home in a state park, enjoying the sunset. The weather was beautiful, the strong winds from earlier in the day had disappeared and given way to total silence. We began to hear a whooshing sound coming from behind the motor home, growing steadily louder. We looked up to see a large flock of geese flying directly above in V formation, less than 50 feet overhead. I've heard them honking as they fly far above, but never been close enough to hear the sound of their wings slicing through the air. A really remarkable experience...

We used to live within walking distance of the ID, too, on Beacon Hill just behind the VA hospital. Miss those views. And the food around there is great and cheap. If the little Sichuan place that used to be in the strip mall on the NW side of the 12th & Jackson intersection is still there you should try it out -- the owner is from Sichuan and the food is pretty authentic. Great dumplings, too -- you can buy a big bag and throw them in the freezer for a quick dinner when you're lazy.

lhamo

PS: THis is the place -- looks like it is still open and still has great prices. Try the braised beef noodle soup. And the mapo tofu. And the dumplings, both northern and Sichuan style. And pretty much everything else.

Seattle Chinese Restaurant: Sichuan Chinese Restaurant- Chinese* men online, Chinese food to go,* Chinese Recipes-(cwok.com)

Ha! I had come up King St and headed North on 12th, so I must have walked right past this place, but I was on the East side of the street and didn't really notice. I look next time I am there.

Ha

Yesterday at sundown, DW and I were sitting out beside the motor home in a state park, enjoying the sunset. The weather was beautiful, the strong winds from earlier in the day had disappeared and given way to total silence. We began to hear a whooshing sound coming from behind the motor home, growing steadily louder. We looked up to see a large flock of geese flying directly above in V formation, less than 50 feet overhead. I've heard them honking as they fly far above, but never been close enough to hear the sound of their wings slicing through the air. A really remarkable experience...

If I had been there, that remarkable experience would have been interrupted with me cleaning bird poop off my head.:banghead:

How wonderful it will be to wake up every morning to that beautiful view of the water! Lucky you.

I have a view of the mountains but I really don't appreciate it very much unless it is snowing, or just afterwards when the sun comes out in the blue sky over the snowy peaks. This is the only time I love snow.

If I had been there, that remarkable experience would have been interrupted with me cleaning bird poop off my head.:banghead:

Small price to pay for such a unique experience!:flowers:

Once stopped along a road and watched hundreds of geese gaining altitude after leaving their overnight stop at a huge wetland. From my vantage point, I could watch the birds "levitate" (sort of like seeing a telephoto view of aircraft coming at you.) I watched as the birds jockeyed for their "assigned" positions in the many V's being formed as I watched. Seemed almost a spiritual experience.

Nice post Ha. Life's simple pleasures are the best.

There is something about looking at a beautiful, natural view that is good for the soul. Somehow brings things into perspective. Enjoy!

Just a reminder of how some free, simple pleasures can really enrich life beyond the relentless pursuit of "stuff." Very cool.

... now I have a beautiful view of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains! Ha

I am about to give up my pipe dream of a house on the east shore of Bainbridge Island. The view of the Seattle skyline is of course free, but the lot would break the bank. Can't have the "free" pleasure without the expensive "stuff".

I should be content with the view of the National Forest from my 2nd home in the boonies, but there is absolutely no water in sight. If I have the choice, I would take the water over the mountain.

Back
Top Bottom