'Worry-Free' Housing

Sam said:
Justin,

I am familiar with the area, but not with that specific location. It's not bad at all. Mixed neighborhood. Mexican, Black, and Asian make the majority of the population. From that condo, there are at least 5 Vietnamese restaurants within 15min walk. And many Mexican and Chinese restaurants.

Sounds like the area where I live. Very racially diverse, 5 vietnamese/thai restaurants within walking distance. Condos 1 block down from me are going for ~$40,000 each for a similar size 1 BR (lakefront, too!). Definitely very affordable for LBYM types or working class families.

It's hard to imagine that the condo in Houston is selling at $22k, and a similar place in Manhattan might go for 25+ times that price maybe. Location, Location, location? :D

Justin, 40K lakefront condo sounds like a better deal to me! Got a picture?

Sam said:
Geez Wab. Not everyone can afford to live in a 400K home! Who cares how much the mortgage payment is? 400K is 400K.

Oops, I forgot my sarcasm smiley. :) I would love to see people start thinking about housing in terms of bang for the buck. Maybe we'd start seeing a lot of interesting alternatives, like the newer modular homes, gain a lot of traction. Or the housing market would correct itself once everybody had the "what the heck was I thinking?" epiphany.

Sam said:
Justin, 40K lakefront condo sounds like a better deal to me! Got a picture?

Realtor.com has no pics for the two units listed (at 41k and 42.5k). The first pic is from the property tax records. The second pic is the lake view from my house. The condos are at the end of the lake on the left. The third pic is the lake at sunset (just thought it was nice!). The lake looks a little swampy - it was just built right before the pic was taken and hadn't reached equilibrium yet - too much algae.

Attachments

• 01FF3800.JPG
    01FF3800.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 01FF3800.JPG_thumb
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
  • l_49fed5605b1eafc174c5b5e71901bb3e.jpg
    l_49fed5605b1eafc174c5b5e71901bb3e.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 13
  • l_49fed5605b1eafc174c5b5e71901bb3e.jpg_thumb
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
  • l_d3b5c8f79de7c5edff227d03d69d91b7.jpg
    l_d3b5c8f79de7c5edff227d03d69d91b7.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 10
  • l_d3b5c8f79de7c5edff227d03d69d91b7.jpg_thumb
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
Sam said:
How about a 650sqft, 1br condo in Houston, for 22K. $600/yr property tax and $125/mth condo fee. No other hidding cost!

http://houston.craigslist.org/rfs/309297963.html
http://www.geocities.com/melophoga

I worked for 12 years within 1/2 mile of this location. This area is not an area in which most people would want to live, and you certainly could not leave your condo for a month and call it worry free. It is surrounded by apartments and is at the edge of an area suffering from a (Katrina refuge?) crime wave.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3599702.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/05/AR2006020500884.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hurricane/4278212.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=az6n8C6gsqf0&refer=us

Sam said:
Nice. Pondfront is probably a better description :D

I think I zoomed in a lot on the lake shot. It's actually 1/3 mile long - maybe a big pond? ;) The lake is actually named "Lake Beamon" - that's why I call it a lake. "Waterfront"? ;)

bbuzzard said:
I worked for 12 years within 1/2 mile of this location. This area is not an area in which most people would want to live, and you certainly could not leave your condo for a month and call it worry free. It is surrounded by apartments and is at the edge of an area suffering from a (Katrina refuge?) crime wave.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3599702.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/05/AR2006020500884.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hurricane/4278212.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=az6n8C6gsqf0&refer=us

I didn't know this. I frequent this area quite often on weekends, and it always seem normal to me. Are you still working in this area? What would your own personal assessment be?

Wab:
I would love to see people start thinking about housing in terms of bang for the buck. Maybe we'd start seeing a lot of interesting alternatives, like the newer modular homes, gain a lot of traction. Or the housing market would correct itself once everybody had the "what the heck was I thinking?" epiphany.

I agree with you, Wab.

I think when it comes to housing, people have alot of emotion attached to the purchase. We are taught from childhood that it is the American Dream, and our home should be 'perfect' and a showcase that says how well we are doing in life. There's all this illusion attached to it.

I find that when I bring the topic up in a group, I can get 'that look'. They think that I am either 'out to lunch' or simply daft. - and those are the nice ones!

Women can get quite angry with me... :p and they feel threatened, like I just committed a supreme 'no-no.' A betrayal of sorts.

I have a lot of 'Martha Stewart' type girlfriends, tho' and I think that's why.

Personally, I like simple, easy, affordable, convenient, and with privacy & sun. I don't want the house to own me -- I have too many places I want to see and things I want to do besides clean, repair and maintain.

But hey, everyone is different. I was very much 'into' our house in California... but when we had to sell it and all the stuff in it back in 1991, I realized that I never wanted to own that much stuff again! :D

Ha:
Sure looks good! I wonder about the "bars on all the windows and doors". I guess you would be well protected from perils outside, but what if you have a fire? Anyone know about thse things? Can they be released from inside?

You have a point, Ha -- I don't know about how they can be released from inside -- but most places we have visited outside of the US have these rot iron bars and scrolls across the windows. It's very very common...

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement.

Billy said:
I think when it comes to housing, people have alot of emotion attached to the purchase. We are taught from childhood that it is the American Dream, and our home should be 'perfect' and a showcase that says how well we are doing in life. There's all this illusion attached to it.

You are correct. Once we get past the basic comforts, it is more about status and the symbol it represents. We own more house than we need today. We will be downsizing.

While I do not regret purchasing the house... I will be just as content to sell it. I do not think I could relate to your comments before we made the purchase. Now it is obvious to us that it is just a large expense and more effort to keep up with.

We have not lost money on the place... but it has provided us with an education about what is important.

Billy said:
Wab:[/

Personally, I like simple, easy, affordable, convenient, and with privacy & sun. I don't want the house to own me -- I have too many places I want to see and things I want to do besides clean, repair and maintain

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement.
Wow, that describes how I feel perfectly! Most of the women that I know definitely do not feel this way!

Sam said:
I didn't know this. I frequent this area quite often on weekends, and it always seem normal to me. Are you still working in this area? What would your own personal assessment be?

As always, different people will accept different living conditions. I forgot yesterday that I lived in an apartment complex about 1/2 mile away (next to my office) for 9 months after I moved to Houston in 1990 (until my present house was finished). At the time, with no kids, I found it tolerable. I changed jobs 5 years ago and have not spent a lot time in the area since. However, I can comfortably say I would not live in the area today, but then I do not have to. If economics dictated otherwise, I could tolerate living there as long as I did not have kids. With kids, I would not accept this area.

Dreamer said:
Wow, that describes how I feel perfectly! Most of the women that I know definitely do not feel this way!

Add me to the list! I can't wait till we can sell our albatross and enjoy freedom! What were we thinking?...

We want to enjoy living and exploring...not taking care of "stuff"!

Chinaco:
I do not think I could relate to your comments before we made the purchase. Now it is obvious to us that it is just a large expense and more effort to keep up with.

We have not lost money on the place... but it has provided us with an education about what is important.

I completely understand... You have been very honest here in placing your comments on this forum.

When Billy first had the idea of Early Retirement - and that included selling our home which I absolutely loved - I was crushed. Our house wasn't huge (just 1200+ square feet) but it was 1/4 mile to the beach, near family , in a location that had decent weather, we had privacy, sun, my garden, hot tub, 900 sq. ft. redwood deck. God I was in love with that place.... But we couldn't do both -- keep a house in central california near the ocean and travel the world for extended periods of time...

I cried when we held the Estate sales to sell everything.. and i cried when I left family. I don't know how those things could have been avoided, since we weren't phenomenally wealthy...

But looking back, it was the right decision for us. I wouldn't trade the years of FIRE and all the perspectives and experiences we have had just to have kept the house... And most importantly, like you said, I learned about what was important. For instance,I was able to spend months at a time doing End of Life Care for our parents (which I could never have done if I continued working.) and I became much stronger in the identity of who I am, and what I bring to the table. Money can't buy that. 8)

I still enjoy a sense of aesthetics, but I'm not manic over it to keep up with neighbors and friends...

Thanks for sharing, Chinaco.

Dreamer:
Barbara Anne:
Add me to the list! I can't wait till we can sell our albatross and enjoy freedom! What were we thinking?... We want to enjoy living and exploring...not taking care of "stuff"!

Again, I understand. I have found that I am in a very small minority. As chance has it, I have a ton of Martha Stewart type girlfriends. They have the most beautiful homes! And they are always knocking out walls, expanding the driveways to accommodate their new rolling condos, they have every gourmet magazine of every subject matter from gardening, food, entertaining and home decor. And they have such a collection of jewelry! and CD's Entertainment systems, clothing, and so on... I really enjoy visiting them... I just have chosen a different type of life. I can't really point to 'things' so much... but I do have the stories! and the experiences, and the memories... Fortunately, people like it when I come to visit - because I am now 'exotic.' It's a win-win situation. I get to enjoy their oppulence and they enjoy my world view.

To be honest, I have had the experience of both of us women looking into the other's eyes with the wish that we could have the other's lifestyle - even if only temporarily. I admire their peaceful life, stability and comfort, and they admire my adventure, independence, strength and willingness to risk.

So there you have it!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
and I became much stronger in the identity of who I am, and what I bring to the table. Money can't buy that. 8)
This is the real advantage of going against the herd.

BTW it has also helped us substantially in our investments.

In the words of Khahil Gibran:
You cannot really experience pleasure unless you are willing to feel pain.

"I cried when we held the Estate sales to sell everything.. and i cried when I left family. I don't know how those things could have been avoided, since we weren't phenomenally wealthy...

But looking back, it was the right decision for us. "

I've occasionally wondered what one on my long dead relatives would would say if they came back and saw what had been kept over the years - would they wonder why we kept the dresser with the sticky drawer or the rocking chair thats just not comfortable (I'm too tall) - and ask why we didn't sell it in the estate sale.

Kowan:
and I became much stronger in the identity of who I am, and what I bring to the table. Money can't buy that.
This is the real advantage of going against the herd.

Exactly. It's self-knowledge truly earned! ;)

BTW it has also helped us substantially in our investments.

Yes! Clarity of mind on what is important to you, and not getting hooked into the judgments of others helps to move you forward towards the dreams you personally hold. You are living your life, not someone elses view of it... Congratulations! :D

In the words of Khahil Gibran:
You cannot really experience pleasure unless you are willing to feel pain.

Khahlil Gibran is truly wise, and one of my favorites.. In life we have to be willing to go through both. How touching. Thanks for sharing.

rmark:
I've occasionally wondered what one on my long dead relatives would would say if they came back and saw what had been kept over the years - would they wonder why we kept the dresser with the sticky drawer or the rocking chair thats just not comfortable (I'm too tall) - and ask why we didn't sell it in the estate sale.

Rmark, what you have just written could be the story line to a novel. It is exactly these very human decisions that we can all relate to. It's how we infuse meaning into simple things and then we can't bear to part with them! I think we are all like that to a point. It has been 17 years since our Estate Sale, and I still grieve for some very simple items that I no longer own. In particular, a meditation stool that my Father made for me. Why didn't I keep that?

I think it's these little wounds that keep us human and compassionate...

Be well,
Akaisha

Billy said:
Chinaco:
I completely understand... You have been very honest here in placing your comments on this forum.

When Billy first had the idea of Early Retirement - and that included selling our home which I absolutely loved - I was crushed.

I cried when we held the Estate sales to sell everything.. and i cried when I left family.

Be well,
Akaisha
When I read this, I thought how incredibly brave you were, selling everything and heading out into the unknown. Then I thought about this for a few minutes and decided that maybe you were just so head over heels in love with Billy that you would have followed him anywhere. From the little I know of you, I have decided that it was both-you are incredibly brave and very much in love with Billy! You are indeed an "exotic and interesting person". I hope that you realize how much inspiration you have given to so many people. I always love reading your posts!!!

Here's a quote from Fanz kafka that was in my inbox this morning-

"Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly."

Hard advice for many of us to follow, even though we may aspire to it.

Ha

Dreamer:
When I read this, I thought how incredibly brave you were, selling everything and heading out into the unknown. Then I thought about this for a few minutes and decided that maybe you were just so head over heels in love with Billy that you would have followed him anywhere. From the little I know of you, I have decided that it was both-you are incredibly brave and very much in love with Billy! You are indeed an "exotic and interesting person". I hope that you realize how much inspiration you have given to so many people. I always love reading your posts!!!

Thank you, Dreamer... gosh...Such kind words! :-[ I so appreciate it. I think you are right, though. I have always been head over heels for Billy and I feel fortunate to have found someone that 'rings my chimes'. I think he is an amazing person - very talented and in so many ways. I am grateful that our love has literally 'survived' the battlefield of Life. He's not an 'easy' person to be with sometimes, but IMO, I think that 'geniuses' have that trait...

OTOH, I do have a 'warrior streak' of my own, so sometimes it does get to be "Man the stations! Forward HO!" and we're off... Honestly, though... thank you so much... :D

"Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly."

Hard advice for many of us to follow, even though we may aspire to it.

Thanks, Ha. This does say it perfectly, doesn't it? Billy and I are very passionate about things. Following the above advice also has a price. The rewards are remarkable, however. ;)

Be well,
Akaisha

Akaisha,

Here is another ER related quote from one of the authors that I believe you hold in high esteem-

"They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price."

Kahlil Gibran

Billy said:
In particular, a meditation stool that my Father made for me. Why didn't I keep that?
Since downsizing, I still miss my oak rolltop desk and my turntable (c/w LP collection). So when I talk about pain, it is real. But it was the right decision for us.

Akaisha,

Here is another ER related quote from one of the authors that I believe you hold in high esteem-

"They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price."
Kahlil Gibran

Thanks so much, Ha. Kahlil is truly wise isn't he? When we were working 80 hours a week, we were so exhausted that it was easy to fall into 'less than perfect' decision making -- selling bits and pieces of ourselves -- and we both disliked that so much. One of the best satisfactions of ER was that we didn't ever have to do that again. We might make mistakes, but it would be for other reasons (Jimmy Buffett says "There's no dumb a$$ vaccine!") :LOL:

We now own our lives, warts and all...

kcowan
Since downsizing, I still miss my oak rolltop desk and my turntable (c/w LP collection). So when I talk about pain, it is real. But it was the right decision for us.
I know.. silly isn't it? but we do attach these emotional colorings to physical items... and we yearn for them. I think we are actually yearning for what the emotions are telling us it gave to us - love, comfort, security, pleasure etc. - not the actual practicality of a meditation stool, or a roll top desk or some LP's.

I mean, I could replace the meditation stool my Father made and I would have 'a sitting stool.' But it would never be the one he made especially for me with his own hands... Thinking in this way I am causing my own suffering. ugh! and I have to learn to let go.

Be well,
Akaisha

Back
Top Bottom