Would you Retire your pool

I was also wondering about the accumulated water underneath the open planking. The video showed a sump pump installed for that reason. My guess is there will be a few inches of water underneath at any given time, yes, indeed a mosquito haven. Or a mold/mildew farm. Ick!

I've always owned a pool and am in it EVERY morning and night. My daughters and friends occassionally use it in the daytime. I have a sauna and hot tub in a screened house next to the pool and those extend my season (No. IL) from Easter until Halloween. I am also part polar bear. Because of the pool I sleep like a baby for 8 hours every night without waking for anything. ~~ Cleaning is very little since my usage kicks up any dust and the filter takes care of that and the skimmer clears the surface. I probably spend $300 per year on tabs and PH control and maybe $200 on electricity. Have a heater but much prefer it cold so we never use it. ~~ Winter we timeshare a lot and a pool is mandatory for me. ~~ I would honestly rather be dead than to live without my pool.

This might seem nutty to most but I think I would actually consider using the pool as a fish pond when not being used for swimming. You could probably raise Koi, gold fish and possibly eatable catfish. If all chemicals were removed or aged out of existence this would work. You could get by with only running the pump and filters a few hours per day. I think I would lean toward the catfish. Might as well raise something good to eat.
I've always enjoyed raising fish as well as other animals so I would actually try this, right after the big fuss with the better half. :LOL: But once I convinced her that the pool could be safely brought back to swimming condition at a later date, I would proceed.:ROFLMAO:
Just my slant on the subject,
Steve

I just contracted to have a pool built at the new house. In Phoenix, it is almost expected, would not want to try and sell a home without one. We use ours quite a bit (5-6 months, heat it over Christmas, etc) and as Rambler said, it is nice to just sit around the pool in the off-season; the waterfall provides a nice ambience in the evenings.

Here is the pool at our current home:

Like a couple of others have said, we love our pool. We use it a couple of times a day. As we go about our work around the house, we'll stop and take a quick dip to cool off- today it's over 95 degrees and high humidity, felt great, will probably take another dip later.

We also have a saltwater pool with a pebbled surface, add a little acid here and there after it's open and a backwash a couple of times in the summer, not really much to do. Automatic cleaner works great. It does cost a lot to operate but at this point in our lives, we're okay with that. This pool also has a separate spa which we use all winter.

For the retirement house we're building, we won't have a pool but we'll definitely have a hot tub- the colder outside, the better for the hot tub. I like to sit in the spa at about 98 degrees when it's snowing outside, DW prefers to stay inside if it's snowing.

Would never consider planking over our pool- this is the second house we've owned where we had a pool put in.

We used our first pool a lot when the kids were small. In our last home we must have used it a dozen times in 10 years. Maintenance was US$45/month with another $100 or so for chlorine shock acouple of times a year. The largest expense was a fence I had to put up around the pool to comply with the local ordinance - mainly to avoid kids from wondering in there. The funny thing is that my backyard (and the pool) was right in front a large and deep lake - with no fence or any protection at all...

I just contracted to have a pool built at the new house. In Phoenix, it is almost expected, would not want to try and sell a home without one. We use ours quite a bit (5-6 months, heat it over Christmas, etc) and as Rambler said, it is nice to just sit around the pool in the off-season; the waterfall provides a nice ambience in the evenings.

Love it! I'm jealous. Salt chlorinator?

Pool party!!!! :LOL: Beautiful.
Your pool pic sparked a memory. :D
My mom lived in Scottsdale for several years in the early 80s. I lived there temporarily for about 4 months in late spring/early summer. I was there j*b-hunting. I made a new friend who just so happened to have 2 elderly aunts with a huge pool very much like yours.
I offered to do the pool cleaning in exchange for a dip. That was great!

This was taken last year after we put in a lot of plants, should take some new ones as they've really filled in but we wouldn't think about covering up the pool!

img_844403_0_46c998d9cd5e5d18c45faa643d26d402.jpg

davemartin88

Dave, that pool is beautiful. So are the others shown on this thread. And Rich, your 45 minutes floating and chatting in the pool after your long walk sounds so pleasant.

If I had a pool, I would swim early each morning. After work, I'd jump in the pool again. Ah, bliss! Sounds really nice.

I don't think I would have a pool installed, because apparently it doesn't really raise the property value. But it would be fun if either Frank or I ended up with a pool after we retire and move to Missouri. He is a big fan of saltwater pools so it is possible. :D

Last edited:
Swimming suits optional? Just wonderin' in light of the recent thread on nudism.

Oops, forgot I wasn't invited. None of my business. Never mind...

Well, if you can't have a pony, then I guess that means you get a pool of your very own!! :LOL: Your DH could get some mega-sunblock and take swimming lessons at the Y.

Sounds like the pool party at my house is off... bbbamI and her DH have a lifetime of moonlight skinnydipping to catch up on. :D

Huh...what's goin' on? :blink:

Awwww, schucks....:blush:......my tears are dry now......:flowers:

What about all those ponies in that big beautiful Harley? Don't those count?

R

A pony AND a pool just wouldn't work, now that I think about it. I am envisioning a pony swimming in the pool with us. That would really mess it up.

Back
Top Bottom