You know, I really don't care for Pot Luck Dinners!

I was expecting a VERY different discussion.

Me, too! Was I ever disappointed!

And, no way would I go to weekly pot luck dinners. That is the introvert in me. That would be too often, pot luck or not. Maybe once every few months or so.

Another introvert here. While I may enjoy an occasional social gathering, I don't need it to be weekly or even monthly if it's mostly the same people.

I've learned to be very leery of mystery dishes left out in the open. What's in it and how long was it in your car before you left it out on the table for 2 hours? Many salads are drowning in too much dressing or too heavy with the mayonnaise.

I'm so NOT a party animal.

I can see that we need to cancel the e-r.org potlucks Andy has in the works....

was expecting a VERY different discussion.

Yeah, me too.:LOL:

The organized pot luck dinners sound like a chore, however
an organized Pot "dinner" sounds much more interesting.

Possible menu:

Multiple bags of doritos-- all flavors
Cheetos variaty pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:
gummy bears and cheesecake!

I think I would be in the group of attending once every couple months or so, but never weekly.:nonono:
I hope the potlucks aren't mandatory.:D

Possible menu:

Cheetos variety pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:

Definitely corn dogs. :cool:

Wouldn't any sort of organization be antithetical to a pot dinner?

Possible menu:

Cheetos variaty pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:

And if asked whether we are coming on Friday, instead of our usual "oh, we're so busy running errands" or whatever. I think we'll just have to come out of the closet and more or less say that we just really aren't into pot-luck dinners and that's why we don't participate.

I've found that in situations like this, sometimes people "can't handle the truth." That is, if you tell them you're just not a party person, they might decide that you think that you're better than they are, you're stuck up, or you're just weird. Just making excuses may be better, though it might get tiresome week after week.

Possible menu:

Cheetos variaty pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:

I disagree . We need lots of chocolate for dessert and you forgot fried things like mozzarella sticks & jalapeno poppers ! Plus ask the pizza guy to stop at the Wing House on the way .

I've found that in situations like this, sometimes people "can't handle the truth." That is, if you tell them you're just not a party person, they might decide that you think that you're better than they are, you're stuck up, or you're just weird. Just making excuses may be better, though it might get tiresome week after week.
Yeah, I think you're right.

I was already asked today by neighbors in the grocery store "So are you coming tonight?".

"Probably not" was out of my mouth before I could even think. Followed by mumbling something about projects we're working on today (which is true).

So, I guess I'm just going to have perpetual excuses. Which is fine, really, since I can't seem to come up with a more general completely inoffensive response. And we're always doing something (even though we usually don't know what it is until the very last minute).

I think what I decided yesterday was that I just wasn't even going to pretend to consider going, whereas up until now in the back of my mind I each week I would think - "maybe we should go this week. So and so will be there. It might be fun. Blah, blah, blah" and then by the time Friday came around I would decide that I really, really didn't want to go. (In this respect, this is very much like "The Dreads" thread from earlier this week).

I'm really looking forward to enjoying my Friday evening at home with our nice new HD A/V system. We finally have off-air HD, since we "invested" in a indoor antenna this week, and we are getting pretty good reception from some key stations.

Audrey

Yeah, I think the neighbors we have gotten to know are the extroverts, which is perhaps why we know them. And they are a lot of fun. And the extroverts do seem to relish this type of event.

And a strong extrovert probably has a hard time understanding why someone else prefers doing their own thing over socializing with a larger group.

Anyway, they'll get used to us. It is not as if we aren't very friendly on a one on one basis.

Audrey

Extrovert here, but a potluck supper would be fun once in a great while, but every Friday...aaaargh! Too routine.
Where I lived last had a big Halloween party for everyone in a huge area. I went to three out of the 6 I could have gone to. Just too many people and too much noise and activity to really talk with anyone. It got old by the third one, and I never went again.
Even us extroverts don't always get into these big group activities. I'd have alot more fun with a smaller group where you could talk and really get to know one another. Even I find big groups with lots of chatter, kids running around and activity going on just...well, draining emotionally. It doesn't rev me up but the opposite: it wears me down. And I'm an extrovert. Just IMHO.

Don't forget these

Attachments

• BOITE_CLASSIC.jpg
    BOITE_CLASSIC.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 101
"Probably not" was out of my mouth before I could even think. Followed by mumbling something about projects we're working on today (which is true).
So, I guess I'm just going to have perpetual excuses. Which is fine, really, since I can't seem to come up with a more general completely inoffensive response. And we're always doing something (even though we usually don't know what it is until the very last minute).
Personally a weekly potluck sounds like overkill. What's happened in the last week that fills all those conversational hours? It would seem to be a lot easier to cope with if it was on the "first Friday" or some monthly schedule.

But there's always the Miss Manners approach:
"I have such a difficult time with large crowds that it takes a lot of effort to handle the stress. With everything else we've been working on, and all the problems we've had getting parts for weekend projects, by the time we get to Friday night I'm usually just too exhausted to think about facing the potluck. For now my DH and I are going to keep trying to go to one every month or so and see how I do."

or,

"Um, well, this is really kind of embarrassing to talk about, but Friday night has always been a very romantic date night for us and after a week of rushing around we really look forward to our special nights, I mean times. We're going to try to make a potluck on the third Friday each month but it's so difficult to give up that time with each other and if one thing leads to another..."

Nords! Love your suggestions! A bit long-winded for me. But still.....

I think I can feel safe that something will turn up every Friday that requires our immediate attention. And something did today. DH found an unterminated water line in the garden, and then a major leak somewhere else. So right as everyone else was driving over to the clubhouse for dinner, DH and I were busy digging up grass to find a big gash in a soaker hose and then figuring out how to jury-rig it to hold up until the lawn maintenance people can repair it properly next week.

At this point, I think we are the only ones in the neighborhood not attending. Seriously! Maybe the others are so enthusiastic because they just got back here within the past week or so.

Audrey

Nords! Love your suggestions! A bit long-winded for me. But still.....
Well, of course it's long-winded, that's the whole idea!

You're supposed to just blather away on the subject for two or three paragraphs until the [-]nosy gossip[/-] concerned neighbor is ready to chew their own arm off to get away from you. And with those sorts of social excuses, they're certainly not going to continue deposing you with penetrating followup questions...

Besides the pressure of having to get together every week I have no interest in coming up with a dish that often .

Besides the pressure of having to get together every week I have no interest in coming up with a dish that often .

Oh yeah, I hear 'ya. I have two staple recipes these days: a tortellini and marinated vegetable salad for winter; and a caprese salad for summer. I went into a major funk when the Filipina caterer closed up shop a few years ago. I used to order four dozen lumpia from her and watch them be scarfed up like there was no tomorrow.

Good point. I wasn't even thinking of what a drag to come up with some dish every single week....ugh.

Become known for your "specialty" like marshmellowed-asparagus (with a prune sauce)* and they'll eventually quit asking if you are coming.:whistle:

*Apologies to the late, great George Carlin.

Interesting, we live in a remote area. Closest town is about 15 miles away. We have a 'Friday Windown'. Our Golf Club closed a little over a year ago. So to keep the happy hour going we rotate homes. It is BYOB, and host provides chips and dip. Low key, and I would say we have about 60% participation on any given Friday. It last about 2 hours.

"Um, well, this is really kind of embarrassing to talk about, but Friday night has always been a very romantic date night for us and after a week of rushing around we really look forward to our special nights, I mean times. We're going to try to make a potluck on the third Friday each month but it's so difficult to give up that time with each other and if one thing leads to another..."

A Spiritual Shabbat Orientation - My Jewish Learning
Enjoy!

Shabbat is a time for simplicity, but not asceticism. Fasting is forbidden on Shabbat. The physical world is not denied; rather, it is to be savored. We are to enjoy good food and wine. The tradition encourages couples to have sex on Friday night. Yet Shabbat discourages the acquiring of material things.

Yeah - that definitely was a big part of "The Dreads" for me!

I really don't have time to cook for Pot Luck right now, especially if I have to match a food "theme" each week. And running to a restaurant to get something to go for a pot luck dinner just seems silly plus $$$.

Well anyway - like I said, the food so far at the dinners has been pretty ho-hum at best. We're both picky eaters. I just can't get excited about going if I don't really expect to enjoy the meal.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom