3 Years Retired

ikubak

Recycles dryer sheets
Pulling the trigger and leaving work to retire full-time is a big decision most of you Young Dreamers forum readers will have to face. DW and I eased into it by her going part-time for a couple of years and I took a less stressful and more fun job for 5 years before leaving the work force. It was a smooth transition for us but being a planner and worrier, I had to run the numbers over and over to see if it would work the way we wanted. Jan. 2021 marks 3 years fully retired and here is what has happened:

rate of return
2018 -5.7%
2019 22.52%
2020 13.55%

spending

2018 62,655
2019 60,677
2020 58,007

We spend a little more than when we worked. I thought we might spend a little less but we travel more (not in 2020 thanks to covid) and have more time to spend $ than we did while working. I used to be a saver and wanted to see my balances increase each month, quarter, year. Now I don't really check my balances very often. I give a lot more gifts than I used to. I buy more beers for people than I used to. If you like gifts and free beer, you would like hanging out with me.

We retired with no pension income or SS income. We just live off our investments which have outpaced our spending by about 100K per year so far. DW is now eligible for SS but we haven't taken it yet. I'll have a small pension start paying in the summer of 2021. I keep about a years worth of cash on hand so I don't worry about market ups and downs too much. The retirement funds I draw from have a conservative asset allocation of 50/50. We get a little dividend income and I mow a few yards in the summer for some of our older neighbors that can't do it anymore...it's my pocket change for gifts and beer. :)

Health insurance was a concern since we had that through my work. We get that through the Affordable Care Act and we manage our income ($ from tIRAs and Roth conversions) to qualify for free insurance from uncle Sam. For us, it means keeping modified adjusted gross income below ~68k. We get a bronze plan that has a high deductible and we pay out of pocket for stuff. It seemed scary at first but as an example, we spent $1,145 on medical costs for 2020 and that includes dental cleanings. We are pretty healthy right now so we picked our bronze plan and took our chances. It works for us and the ACA will probably be where we buy insurance until we go on medicare.

Summary: stepping out of the matrix was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. My conservative projections were just that, conservative. We spent more and investments returned more than I thought they would. I probably gave it way more thought than it warranted but that was my style.

Have a good 2021!

good job. Looks like you have a lot of allocation towards stocks. What's your asset allocation if you did 13.55% in 2020 .. should be more than 50/50

Last edited:
Just curious, how old were you and DW when you retired?

OP,

also similar timeline. 2018 was our first full year of retirement. our spending has been level with the exception of year one when we tried living in Spain a year--expenses were about 2x what we expected due mostly to poor planning and execution on our part.

markets as you've mentioned have been good, so we are fine financially. although, that was through luck more than skill. DW and I have health care thru the Gov't, and our living expenses are covered by our pensions, which allows me to be a little sloppy with our fiscal controls. having said that I still cannot help but obsess with the spreadsheets since that is how is am wired. DW in the other hand, sleeps very peacefully [emoji57].

I think our nature is the over riding factor in how we manage retired financial life.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing a nice, concise write up.
Good luck to you.

Yet another FIRE success story. So glad we could help.:LOL:

15 years for us. MC with supplements now. Much easier (I would guess) than managing to <$68K. YMMV

Things have worked out great for you folks! Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom