anyone taken sabbatical/gap years??

Great topic.

I plan on taking a 6-12 month sabbatical in 2010, right around my 10 year anniversary in Megacorp world.

I will be just about to turn 33 years old at that point, and about 50% of the way to being actually FIRE'd.

I will not be asking for permission, I will leave and if they want me back I will come back on my terms, if not.....I am in sales and jobs are plentiful.

I am considering taking a year with my two kids and spouse somewhere in Asia as well. Did you home school your kids? Enroll them in a local school?

I'm going back to work this month after about a year-long sabbatical. I'm 55 and work in IT, so I guess I'm unusual in doing this. I quit the old mega-corp job last year and I'm going to work for a smaller company now. I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't in the position where I could probably retire if it didn't work out.

Just weighing some options here. I'm 49 and am in the last accumulation years towards ER. I was reading a thread about heath & aging and it got me thinking about how important it is to take time to enjoy life.

Since I haven't hit FIRE, I do need to keep working (or move to Thailand!), but I find myself really burning out at work. I have a high stress job in the entertainment industry that pays really well, but I'm craving a break.

I'd love to hear any of your stories about taking a sabbatical in the late accumulation phase. Was it the right thing for you to do? Or did you look back and regret it for any reasons?

Thanks!
I did a Sabbatical at age 49 for a year. Spent 6 months on our boat with my wife doing an extended cruise. Between preparing for the trip, recovering from the trip and finding a new job, it was a year well spent. I knew then I wanted to ER, so I went back to work for a little over 5 years and then retired. Kids were launched and my wife left the workforce some 25 years earlier.

No regrets. Could not have ER'd at 49.

If you look at my linkedin... I'm on sabbatical..call it what you will.. retired. Unless I decide to go back to work... I'm retired.

I took a break at age 36 and went and hiked the Appalachian Trail. No regrets. Basically changed my life as a result.

Back
Top Bottom