Car advice? Want combo of good mileage/price/maintenance

All this talk about going with the latest electronics...

I bought my 2013 Jeep Wrangler new. Last week the fancy main computer died. - $1500 to repair. It has to be done at a dealer. $180 to have it towed in because it was absolutely dead.
How far back do you want to go? I had an 86 Saab go dead in the 3rd lane over of a DC freeway (luckily on a non-busy Sunday morning) because my passenger bumped the sidewall panel and loosened a connection for the fuel injection system or something like that. I don't think my 72 Pinto had anything like that, but I wouldn't count on that getting anyone anywhere these days, wherever it may be.

Re: Honda seats, my 04 Honda Pilot had the best seats ever. I was doing 4 18-21 hour drives a year back then and when I got the Pilot I couldn't believe how comfy it was. 3-4 hours at a time, 5-10 minute gas break, and back on the road, with maybe, but not always, a rest stop nap late in the drive. Maybe there are better seats, but I never sat in them behind a wheel.

All this talk about going with the latest electronics...

I bought my 2013 Jeep Wrangler new. Last week the fancy main computer died. - $1500 to repair. It has to be done at a dealer. $180 to have it towed in because it was absolutely dead.

I am a firm believer in knowing a good independent auto repair shop. You can buy engine ECUs all day long with a warranty at a good auto salvage yard for $200. They are just a plug out, plug in item--after diagnosis.

I avoid dealer service departments like a plague--and my family even owns the dealership. They see it only on a recall where the factory pays.

For commuter cars I highly recommend Corollas.
I have a 2004 with about 215,000 miles and a 2010 with 225,000 miles and the only repairs have been standard maintenance items.

Such interesting advice - thank you! I added Kia, Prius, and Suburus to the list to check out too.

More data:
my husband and I aren’t tall people, just statistically average. (5’4 and 5’9).
My new job has a free plug in station for electric cars. Bonus is those spots are right up front next to the handicapped spots. :)
It’s unlikely this car would go on any road trips since our family of 6 won’t fit into it.

I test drove a new Hyundai Ioniq recently and was very impressed. A hybrid that seemed to beat the Prius on every level: roomier with more storage space, better mileage (barely), cheaper, and better looking.
Sport mode was responsive and should get you over 50mpg. Standard mode was sluggish but expected mileage was 60mpg (combined).

If one is looking for an all purpose car, I heartily endorse the Ioniq.

Such interesting advice - thank you! I added Kia, Prius, and Suburus to the list to check out too.

More data:
My new job has a free plug in station for electric cars. Bonus is those spots are right up front next to the handicapped spots. :)
It’s unlikely this car would go on any road trips since our family of 6 won’t fit into it.

In that case I also have an 2006 Impreza with 100k miles also only maintenance items and 2018 Crosstrek only 900 miles, to soon to tell how reliable.

I am a firm believer in knowing a good independent auto repair shop. You can buy engine ECUs all day long with a warranty at a good auto salvage yard for $200. They are just a plug out, plug in item--after diagnosis.

I avoid dealer service departments like a plague--and my family even owns the dealership. They see it only on a recall where the factory pays.

That isn't always the case. Some cars require the ECU to integrate with other systems and they have to be programmed by equipment and software that is VERY expensive. It's not always just "plug and play".

I test drove a new Hyundai Ioniq recently and was very impressed. A hybrid that seemed to beat the Prius on every level: roomier with more storage space, better mileage (barely), cheaper, and better looking.
Sport mode was responsive and should get you over 50mpg. Standard mode was sluggish but expected mileage was 60mpg (combined).

If one is looking for an all purpose car, I heartily endorse the Ioniq.

Is that the one with no 12V battery?

Ironically it is the auxiliary 12V battery that is often a source of problems on hybrids.

Is that the one with no 12V battery?

Ironically it is the auxiliary 12V battery that is often a source of problems on hybrids.

Wikipedia says it has a "lightweight" (vs. lead-acid) auxiliary battery.

A more intriguing aspect is the use of a dual-clutch transmission. Toyota's Synergy CVT can really wind out the engine under acceleration ... and it doesn't have a great tone.

Wikipedia says it has a "lightweight" (vs. lead-acid) auxiliary battery.

A more intriguing aspect is the use of a dual-clutch transmission. Toyota's Synergy CVT can really wind out the engine under acceleration ... and it doesn't have a great tone.

German-invented dual clutch transmissions have been around since mid 2005, commonly called DSG's. I had one in my 2005 Jetta and one in my 2014 Passat, both diesels. They are becoming more mainstream and even in some pretty high end performance cars. Two gear trains, two clutches, about 5 liters of transmission oil, 40,000 mile service intervals, and electronic shifting. Nice package!

One thing on the Hyundai and Kia Hybrids is they have a lifetime warranty on their batteries . Really scored well at the Houston auto show . Kia has a small Hybrid SUV that is really nice.

One thing on the Hyundai and Kia Hybrids is they have a lifetime warranty on their batteries . Really scored well at the Houston auto show . Kia has a small Hybrid SUV that is really nice.

That's their new Niro SUV PHEV (small crossover). It's quite nice and starts (MSRP) at $27,900.

In my area Subarus are very popular. Find a used one.

DW drives a Subaru CROSSTREK, it was the lowest price all wheel drive we could find. Our first winter in The hills of the Ozarks made it clear not even a front wheel drive was going to be adequate as she still w*rks. It’s like a mule in the snow and snow covered ice

That Niro at the Houston car show this spring was rated best of class . There was also an SUV called a Kona that was rated good . I could not believe the Kia Stinger's attention it was getting . The Stinger stole the show from the BMW's

One thing to think about buying a Kia or Hyundai , they come off the sticker MSRP pretty easy . We had heard Warren Buffet bought several KIA dealerships and wants to sell cars.

Last edited:
That Niro at the Houston car show this spring was rated best of class . There was also an SUV called a Kona that was rated good . I could not believe the Kia Stinger's attention it was getting . The Stinger stole the show from the BMW's

One thing to think about buying a Kia or Hyundai , they come off the sticker MSRP pretty easy . We had heard Warren Buffet bought several KIA dealerships and wants to sell cars.

We have had a couple of Hyundai cars, currently driving a 2013 Santa Fe with 77,000 trouble free miles on it. It's DW's car and she won't part with it until the end (whenever that will be :LOL:)

OK, here's my car advice for a combo of good mileage/price/maintenance:

1. Look at all the cars on your short list.
2. Toss out the ones that do not say "Toyota" on them anywhere.
3. Buy the Toyota and smile because they generally have a great repair record, too.

Bear in mind that I haven't had any of the cars you are thinking of, but I am pretty biased because I do like my Toyota a lot.

OK, here's my car advice for a combo of good mileage/price/maintenance:

1. Look at all the cars on your short list.
2. Toss out the ones that do not say "Toyota" on them anywhere.
3. Buy the Toyota and smile because they generally have a great repair record, too.

Bear in mind that I haven't had any of the cars you are thinking of, but I am pretty biased because I do like my Toyota a lot.

LOL! Nothing like biased opinions! :LOL:

BTW, most modern cars are equally as well built and efficient these days!

(Take this from one who is driving 21 year old pickup truck! :D)

More data:

Subarus are great for their full-time AWD system.

But in my experience they do require more maintenance.

After owning a Subaru, if I needed a new AWD vehicle I'd look hard at the RAV4 hybrid (standard AWD)

Last edited:
Subarus are great for their full-time AWD system.

But in my experience they do require more maintenance.

After owning a Subaru, if I needed a new AWD vehicle I'd look hard at the RAV4 hybrid (standard AWD)

Are you aware that Subarus no longer have timing belts? One less maintenance issue to deal with.

Are you aware that Subarus no longer have timing belts? One less maintenance issue to deal with.

With Subarus, there have been multiple generations with head gasket problems.

Ours also needed CV joint replacement (i.e. pay for a new axle) far more frequently than any of our other (FWD) vehicles.

They have camshaft drive chains and chain guides. Those are not maintenance free and cost a bit more than a simple timing belt replacement. They also have water pumps, fuel pumps, alternators, etc that can fail. No car is free of maintenance and repair costs.

A very good friend of ours a mechanic , he believes all cars built today are good . One thing he said was people who own Honda's Toyota's and most Euro. cars take better care of them ( follow the owners manual ) so they have a fondness for them . I believe buy what you are looking for DW wanted the new Ford Eco mini suv , but the Ford dealers just would not deal . She looked at Toyota but it seems to be the same problem. Didn't like the Honda too expensive for what you got . She settled on the Mid level Kia Soul . Actually a really nice car.

They have camshaft drive chains and chain guides. Those are not maintenance free and cost a bit more than a simple timing belt replacement. They also have water pumps, fuel pumps, alternators, etc that can fail. No car is free of maintenance and repair costs.

Might as well throw blown engines to that list.
I don't recall anyone stating "free of maintenance and repair costs"

With Subarus, there have been multiple generations with head gasket problems.

Ours also needed CV joint replacement (i.e. pay for a new axle) far more frequently than any of our other (FWD) vehicles.

My understanding head gasket issues have been drastically reduced with the FB engines, I will agree with the CV joint issues.

Might as well throw blown engines to that list.
I don't recall anyone stating "free of maintenance and repair costs"

Remember the 3.5 million engine recall fiasco of Toyota several years ago. Sludged up engines and countless failures. And the bad Honda transmissions where Honda would not recall them and only extended the warranty a few more miles. I could go on and on.

Actually, a periodic timing belt change is a good thing as the mechanic can assess the water pump and camshaft seal area for leaks or pending issues. SIL has a Mercedes and his camshaft chain guides failed last year to the tune of $4000.

Back
Top Bottom