Fidelity 2040

Which version? There are two. FFFFX with a 0.77% ER and FBIFX with a 0.16% ER.

Yep. The former uses some Fidelity managed funds in its allocation; the latter uses only index funds. If you are a Fidelity investor looking for a single asset allocation index fund, a 0.16% ER is worth considering. You can probably do a little better elsewhere, but you are talking about only a few basis points.

Assuming you have until 2040 to retire, which is 24 years, I would just go with IVV.

IVV has a MUCH lower expense ratio, only .07% vs .77%. IVV has a higher dividend yield, 2.25% vs. 1.47%. The risk, i.e. beta, is similar.

IVV has returned more than FFFFX. I would suspect that after tax gains, since there is little capital gains tax if you hold it, would be less too.

Stay away from mutual funds. They are too expensive.

If it's a 401k with limited choices, then FFFFX is okay. If it is a Fidelity administered 401k, some offer expanded choices through Fidelity BrokerageLink. This gives you additional options and you could probably build your own three fund portfolio at a lower ER.

There are better Target Date funds. From the link in my previous post, click on the 5-year column to sort the funds by their average annual 5-year after expense returns. T Rowe Price (TRRDX), Schwab (SWERX), and Vanguard (VFORX) have Target Date 2040 funds with better after expense returns than any of the Fidelity options.

Outside a 401k, you could also build your own three fund portfolio at a lower ER.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. There's not much in the fund (25,000) but I definitely need to look for something with less expenses.

Back
Top Bottom