How many here have a boat?

I have a 10' 8" Porta-Bote with a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton outboard. This is for the north branch of the Potomac River which on most days is shallow enough to walk across with hip waders.

The Porta-Bote is unusual in that it folds up and the seats and transom keep it in a boat shape when assembled. Assembly takes about 15 minutes, takedown about 10. The advantage is that I don't need a trailer, it stores in the garage leaned against a wall, and the seats, transom, and extraneous gear goes in a giant duffel bag.

I bought the boat used from a guy who intended to use it as a tender for his 30' sailboat and it had been wet once. The outboard was a store demonstrator.

I told the family that DW and I had just returned from a "West Virginia river cruise. That's a ten-foot rowboat with a 5 hp outboard, a cooler with ham 'n cheese sandwiches, and a box of fine wine."

Attachments

• Almost Heaven ready for launch.jpg
    Almost Heaven ready for launch.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Packed up at home.jpg
    Packed up at home.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2
We had a 24 ft C&C sailboat for many years. Really enjoyed sailing it. Was also delighted to sell it and stop paying marina fees. :)

Audrey

After many years of boat ownership I've come to find that the best boat is someone else's. (heh)

I've took a PT job last year selling them and it's a lot cheaper. In the industry BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

After many years of boat ownership I've come to find that the best boat is someone else's. (heh)

Same here. We used ours several times a week for the first ten years we had it, but less after that and after twenty years we sold it. I have never wanted to actually own another one since we divorced, because I am not willing to put as much money and work into maintaining one as my ex-husband did.

Actually we caught more fish BEFORE we had a boat, back in 1976 when we were just fishing from the shore behind our apartment on Little Creek, in Norfolk, Virginia. We could go out there for an hour or two after work and invariably catch plenty of catfish, bluegills, or the occasional large mouthed bass for dinner. I probably wouldn't eat fish out of Little Creek now, but back then we were young and unworried about water quality or toxicity. Those were the days - - not a care in the world.

After many years of boat ownership I've come to find that the best boat is someone else's.

I agree, we donated a boat to boat angel in 2008. Last year we bought a place with a dock in place w/boat lift in south carolina. Now neighbors boat is kept on it and we have a set of keys, get to use his boat for the price of gas.

Also, we rent boats in Florida at the Air Force Base, costs less than $100 bucks for an afternoon.

Jim

I used to be 1st Mate on a 1985 34' Pearson sailboat. Lots of fun memories from sailing every other weekend on the eastern end of Lake Ontario. :D
I was the chart reader and in charge of radio comm, gear and safety. I attended several USPS courses over the years.
I'll confess that I've gone to the dark side. :(
These days, an open bow 18' Starcraft I/O is my vessel. Easier for me to launch and handle solo on a local reservoir.
dh2b was an excellent student and is now the skipper, until I relieve him of the helm. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom