I can't concentrate on work today!

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know if it is the Holdiay, been interrupted more than usual today, or just these cube walls closing in on me, but I just can't seem to get to work today! Argh! If only my portfolio were ten times larger, I'd quit this job! :LOL: :-\

Who else is having a hard time concentrating at work today? And let me ask, anybody have a method they use to help with concentration/focus? This happens to me far too often. :p

Happens to me every day. I guess I am just easily bored.

The main way I overcome this is just getting overloaded with work.

the air conditioning did not work in my sealed building and it was mid to high eighties. Heaven forbid the moneygrubbers close early.

At lunchtime we went to a local park and sat under a tree to feel a little more energized.

Laurence said:
Who else is having a hard time concentrating at work today? And let me ask, anybody have a method they use to help with concentration/focus? This happens to me far too often. :p

I was. When I arrived at work this morning, it was a bit over 100 degrees in the office. I simply stated "I can't work in this environment" and walked out. I worked at home today (much easier to focus in a 74 degree environment). I did go back to the office to complete my timesheet and get more software to finish working at home. I think I got a lot of evil stares because I was wearing shorts, flip flops and an untucked shirt. :D

Yeah, Friday I had a huge project that had to get out by close of business, no focus loss there!  I have plenty to do today, but since it isn't due tomorrow, fear and panic isn't there to focus my attention...

EDIT: I can't even imagine if the air conditioner didn't work...I'd be so outtahere!

LMAO  :LOL:.  I laugh because this is a daily occurance for me. The only time it is not a problem is when I'm so covered up my mind can't wander off into ER thinking. The good news for me is I only have a few more months to go. :)  My replacement search begins later this week as my boss and myself begin interviewing suckers to fill my job. I really look forward to this process.  :D

Heh.  One of the long list of crappy jobs I have worked was a job where they had renovated an old garment factory in NYC to be office space.  Nice, new, cube-filled, etc.  They had someone within the company design the AC system (to save money) and it was done wrong.  It ulled intake air from the vent shaft that everyone else in the building dumped their waste heat into.  Needless to say, the summer months were pretty much unbearable, and the company didn't have the money, the motivation or both sufficient to fix the problem.  Thank God I moved on in less than a year and only had to endure one summer of that.

When it gets hotter than a sweatshop, I leave.

I cut out early from work today.  I thought I'd have time to go to the dump to drop off brush and weeds but I didn't cut out early enough.

The boss was gone today.  I had a slight headache by the end of the not-very-productive day.  Work gives me a headache  :(

Sometimes, if I make lists and get in the mode of checking each item I get done, I summon more focus and motivation.

When I'm tired and sleepy, which is often, it's really hard.  I have no excuse--I don't have young children; I just stay up late often to watch reruns of Sex and the City. :(

When it gets too hot, I get in the pool.

When I get bored, I see what you people are arguing about today... ;)

Concentrate and work in the same sentence...Ha ha ha ha!!! :D Join the club!!! That describes me every day.... :D

I've been working in "corporate America" for the past 13 years. It's almost half of my life.

When me and my family first came here, I was 16 and just somehow knew that I would be going to college and working somewhere. And that's what I did. I had a very sensible major and have been working and working and working for years now. And I actually liked what I did (and still do). I never hated going to work, I never hated my bosses. Life was good

A few years ago I read "Rich dad, poor dad", and even though I can't stand Kiosyki and I think this man is a con artist, I have to give him credit for one thing: his suggestions that there are other ways to make money besides 9-5 job.

It might seem like common sense to many here, but I really never immagined the possibility. I don't have a natural enterpreneurial "thing" in me, so...

Anyways, I started doint RE investing, made some money, but it was getting really hard to find good deals. I still have a full time 9-5. But.......... it is sooooo hard to do the "cubicle" thing, knowing that there are alternatives.

Lena

Yesterday wasn't so bad for me at work. There was nothing really to do, but it got up to something like 92-94 degrees yesterday, so suddenly being indoors didn't seem so bad!

For some reason I'm really wound up today though, and would rather be outside doing productive things than sitting here trying to look busy. I just feel like I'm missing out on something, like I NEED to be outside!

Oh well, maybe I'll go out for lunch.

I have a hard time concentrating every day, thankfully I have this thing called an internet connection to keep me amused.

Laurence said:
Who else is having a hard time concentrating at work today?  And let me ask, anybody have a method they use to help with concentration/focus?  This happens to me far too often.  :p
Find one task that you should accomplish before you go home that day. Promise yourself that you'll accumulate 20 minutes on it (not necessarily consecutive, interruptions are unavoidable, but focus your attention on just one task).

If you can't find one task, then go hassle network with the people who owe you stuff.

If no one owes you anything then find someone to whom you can give something of yours to accomplish.

If no one will come out of hiding then go have lunch and a workout. Come back an hour or two later and try again.

If none of that pans out then go home! You know you'll be logging in after dinner to check e-mail anyway...

When I had trouble concentrating at work, I would leave the building and take a brisk walk for ~30 minutes. Then I'd get a jolt of caffeine, maybe a snack, and get back to it. If all else fails, knock off early (at my software companies that meant before 6pm)...and remember, tomorrah is another day!

Back
Top Bottom