My First Flash Drive I Ever Bought Stopped Working On Windows

I figured so.

And hard drive makers would do the same thing. And that's even more impressive, because these multi-TB drives take forever to read and write to, being so cavernous in capacity. It takes a few hours for each pass.

How do these guys make any money selling these wonderful things for so cheap? Amazing.

The company I worked for did / does it through heavy R&D spend (to make things X% better each year), economies of scale in manufacturing, low cost labor, and automation.

I know you've had it work in Linux but how about an earlier version of Windows? If you were close by, we could try it in Windows XP and 7. Until recently, I could have tried it in Win98 but the hard drive in that old laptop (circa 1997) finally gave up the ghost!

Darn, my memory is deteriorating. Or perhaps it was never that good. Anyway...

As mentioned, I have had Windoz not recognizing an inserted USB drive over the years. And it also happened on a Win 10 machine.

And I remember going into Device Manager, and saw that the USB drive was indeed detected. Windoz simply did not give it a drive letter. What the heck!

I don't recall how I fixed it, only that I found out from the Web how to force Windoz to assign a drive letter.

Last edited:
The company I worked for did / does it through heavy R&D spend (to make things X% better each year), economies of scale in manufacturing, low cost labor, and automation.

I think being an engineer makes me appreciate a lot of things more than most people. I don't take things for granted, because I think of the hard work it goes into designing and manufacturing something.

In a way, this attitude is bad, because I cannot bear to throw something out if it still works. And even if it stops working, sometimes I still keep it to remind myself of the state-of-the-art of yesteryears.

Back
Top Bottom