I hate my job!!!

Well, I found out yesterday that the new honcho actually doesn't want us trained properly because then we'll notice mistakes and won't pump out work fast enough :confused: It's no wonder peeps go to work and just read the early-retirment board ;) I can't stand to work for a place that promotes below-average behavior.

I remember when I started to work my mother asked me what is my primary goal.. I said income.  She told me to sort my opportunities in income potential order.  Then she said that every job has its frustrations, and based on her experiance, pointed out some jobs as major sources of frustration.

Given the context of the era, she said that I needed to manage my career.  If your employer does not expect excellance get thee gone ASAP without burning your bridges.

SteveR said:
Business is NOT a democracy!

When I was president of my firm, I used to say that all the time when lawyers would mumble and grumble about a decision. I said that you are paying me to do all the homework and make the decisions. Judge from results. If you don't like it, take my job. :)

I never would have said such a thing to staff.

I did try to get staff imput of a number of things that were important to them. For example, staff participated in a group that helped us decide what changes to make to our retirement plan and our health insurance.

"We're here to DEFEND democracy, not practice it!"

-- Gene Hackman as the idiosyncratic boomer CO in "Crimson Tide"

Nords said:

LOL :LOL:

Nords said:

This is similar to the saying that we embrace teamwork but we reward people on an individual basis.

Spanky said:
This is similar to the saying that we embrace teamwork but we reward people on an individual basis.

That's exactly the motto my job lives by :-\

Teamwork, schmeam-work...

IMHO, teams are a place for lazy, incompetent people to get credit for other folks' work. :-\

Have Funds said:
Teamwork, schmeam-work...

IMHO, teams are a place for lazy, incompetent people to get credit for other folks' work.  :-\

I thin teamwork is good because some things need it. I also think those who do the work should be rewarded. However, what seems to happen is that a team will do the work and the person who happen to kiss up the most but did the least work will be the one singled out for doing a great job and that's when I think teamwork sucks :-\

Anywoo, I learned that for sure they will be hiring for a position that I really, really want and even though it's out there I will drive.

Wish me luck :D

Good luck, Yaya - keep us posted. Hope you don't regret the drive.

SteveR said:
Business is NOT a democracy!

Very true.... One of the biggest mistakes I made when I was still in Megacorp is to follow the company's expectations of giving suggestions for improvements, doing the right thing and thinking outside of the box. WRONG. Only gets you into trouble. After a while you shut up, lose interest and start focusing your attention to more interesting things that can be done within the cube like the internet.

Vicky

Spanky said:
May be they meant "think outside of your box but within their box"

That would be exactly correct! As long as you parrot their thinking and "appear" to be engaged in the process of being "creative" they will love you. It is a just a game. There are so few managers that really want you to think out side the real box. If you do they see you as not being a "team player." That has a negative influence on your career.

The end result, however, is no real improvement in the company operations; only a difference in "spin." What was old is new again; only the buzzwords change.

SteveR said:
That would be exactly correct!  As long as you parrot their thinking and "appear" to be engaged in the process of being "creative" they will love you.  It is a just a game.  There are so few managers that really want you to think out side the real box.  If you do they see you as not being a "team player."  That has a negative influence on your career. 

The end result, however, is no real improvement in the company operations; only a difference in "spin."  What was old is new again; only the buzzwords change.
SteveR, if you're not a manager now, accept this spot promotion.  You have broken the code and will rise to the top as you appear to be a team player who will abide by our mission statement and I have noted zero defects in your presentation.  Your zeal for improvement is only surpassed by your technological know-how. You have made quality job #1.  A hands-on type such as you needs to be one of our leaders.   Your we're number-1 attitude is beyond reproach and promulgates our approach to customer satisfaction. We value the long hours you work, always staying "till the job is done."  :D

Eagle43 said:
SteveR, if you're not a manager now, accept this spot promotion.  You have broken the code and will rise to the top as you appear to be a team player who will abide by our mission statement and I have noted zero defects in your presentation.  Your zeal for improvement is only surpassed by your technological know-how. You have made quality job #1.  A hands-on type such as you needs to be one of our leaders.   Your we're number-1 attitude is beyond reproach and promulgates our approach to customer satisfaction. We value the long hours you work, always staying "till the job is done."  :D

Not only that but he is "proactive" and "thinks outside the box." :)

JG

I'm empowered, thus enabling me to multi-task in a quality environment; though my plate is full, I'm a valued stakeholder in a teaming atmosphere, where diversity initiatives allow the customer to come first. Through focused innovation, a win-win scenario has been partnered with a global overview, creating a knowledge-based decision tree, enhancing PFO, MTBF, and ISO9001 compliance, which is a really BFD...

Most people in business spend all their time managing their careers rather than managing their jobs.

Eagle43 said:
You have broken the code and will rise to the top as you appear to be a team player who will abide by our mission statement and I have noted zero defects in your presentation. Your zeal for improvement is only surpassed by your technological know-how. You have made quality job #1. A hands-on type such as you needs to be one of our leaders. Your we're number-1 attitude is beyond reproach and promulgates our approach to customer satisfaction. We value the long hours you work, always staying "till the job is done." :D

MRGALT2U said:
Not only that but he is "proactive" and "thinks outside the box." :)JG

Have Funds said:
I'm empowered, thus enabling me to multi-task in a quality environment; though my plate is full, I'm a valued stakeholder in a teaming atmosphere, where diversity initiatives allow the customer to come first. Through focused innovation, a win-win scenario has been partnered with a global overview, creating a knowledge-based decision tree, enhancing PFO, MTBF, and ISO9001 compliance, which is a really BFD...
I was seeing some of that stuff in fitness reports from the '80s. No wonder I was so happy to ER...

Nords said:
I was seeing some of that stuff in fitness reports from the '80s.  No wonder I was so happy to ER...

Goes to show that Bull S@it knows no bounds. :bat:

SteveR said:
Goes to show that Bull S@it knows no bounds. :bat:

... and BS is essential in politics (euphemism for nonsense, bragging, empty talk, exaggeration, lies, fraud, deceit, trickery).

Back
Top Bottom