learning about tax efficiency

Keyboard Ninja

Recycles dryer sheets
Ok so now I'm on to John C. Bogle's "The Little Boof of Common Sense Investing". After reading the first six chapters I believe I am going to get rid of my Fidelity Freedom 2040 Fund {FFFFX} and put the money into the Fidelity Four-in-One Index Fund {FFNOX}. The buy and hold forever thing is just alot easier to manage.

For the sake of learning...

The question is about tax-efficiency. Apparently managed funds like the FFFFX trade often and therefore incure capital gains taxes. So would this be better in a traditional IRA? Also would the opposite be true for the FFNOX?

I'm not sure about FFFFX, but... FFNOX is roughly 15% bonds, so it's not particularly tax efficient.

Anything that is a good investment but not tax efficient should go into a Roth, IMHO. If you put it into a traditional IRA you may end up with something that currently might throw off a 15-25% taxable load (short and long term CGs, dividends, interest, etc) into a vehicle that you might end up paying 35-?% in the future. At least at this point, the Roth will negate all of that damage if you can afford the up front tax on the original investment.

I really liked the Boglehead's Guide to Investing for their description of tax-efficiency and how to maximize it. It finally helped gel everything for me. I think they did a better job than Bogle's Little Book in this particular area.

No comment on your proposed securities switch -- I don't know anything about either of those funds.

Good luck!

Morningstar has a relatively new data item, Tax Cost Efficiency (TCE) for mutual funds.
you can go there for free, enter your funds in a dream portfolio and see what numbers are assigned. if you search on "Tax Cost Efficiency" it will give you a definition. you can also look at Turnover Ratio for funds.
with all the panicking and redemptions in mutual funds this year, i doubt any funds will be at their normal TCE.

Back
Top Bottom