Living an hour from work?

Here's the side of a short commute that I didn't like: to live near a place where I could earn a big-city salary, I'd have had to put up with lack of privacy, crappy neighbors, noise, high real estate values, high taxes to pay for city services, crime. Fifty minutes from my workplace (where homeless people were camped out in the parking garage) I was way outside the tension zone. Worth the travel time, IMO.

I live 35 miles from work. This equates to ~1 hr drive (45 min on weekend) in normal traffic and 1.5 hr+ in rain/bad traffic. So I chose to do the 1 hr 40 min (each way) commute. This involves 6.5 mile drive (give myself 15 min for lights and walking across parking lot); 1 hr on commuter rail (nap most mornings; pod casts/tv shows in afternoons); and 1.25 mile walking (~25 min). Occassionally I do drive, but just as far as metro, but 17 miles can take 1 hr on bad day.

My rationale is that I cannot abide more than 30 min driving. Too many tail gators and even then we all get distracted. I make great use of time (listen to some pod casts at up to 3x speed (Pocket Cast app), very little stress, but it is a long day. Plus I get 2.5 miles walking every day, which if I don't get a gym workout in, is better than nothing. Weather can complicate the walk, but there are ways to minimize this hassle (metro).

Plus, this has been only 1 year so far, and since we're renting, I'm hoping to move closer to work (and even closer to potential post-military-retirement jobs) in the next year.

Previous commutes were 30 mins/16 miles driving; 10 min/3 miles driving (walkable in summer, -40F in winter); 35 min / 22 mile drive (car pooled); 15 min/4 mile (drove/road bike).

As someone else said, if you're not making good use of your commute time, then it's unpaid overtime. Try public transport or car/van pool if that is an option. If it's NOT stop/go traffic, then it can be palatable, but if there is traffic, I'd consider getting closer, or looking at telework/alternate schedule to cut down on days or avoiding traffic.

That, or I'm buying a Tesla with their radar and their supposed 90% self-driving capabilities. ;):crazy:

Last edited:
My rationale is that I cannot abide more than 30 min driving.

Agreed 100%.

Houston has essentially zero mass transit so we moved close in.

One of the last places you ever want to be is stuck on I-10, 45 or 59 for over an hour in the Houston summer.

I've almost always had a long commute. From 45 minutes to an hour each way. We choose to live in a rural area and that's just the price I paid. As I got older those one hour commutes each way with a 12 hour shift sandwiched in between got getting harder to do. Glad I don't have to do that anymore!

I am 1:15 on the way to work and 1:20 on the way home.

Books on tape get me through until I retire.

So my one hour commute turned into 2 hours 20 minutes today, thanks to a fuel spill late this morning on one of the two bridges that cross the Cooper River. Still closed this afternoon, so the entirety of Charleston was trying to take the other bridge. Coastal living has its downsides.

So my one hour commute turned into 2 hours 20 minutes today, thanks to a fuel spill late this morning on one of the two bridges that cross the Cooper River. Still closed this afternoon, so the entirety of Charleston was trying to take the other bridge. Coastal living has its downsides.
That is rough Sarah. How close to retiring are you?

Ha

Not close enough, dang it! Traded a few more years for me of work so that DH could quit at 50.
Such a good wife! ;)
But probably 6 more years until I pull the plug.

Not close enough, dang it! Traded a few more years for me of work so that DH could quit at 50.
Such a good wife! ;)
But probably 6 more years until I pull the plug.
Ouch!

I noticed it when you said something like-"This commute is killing me". That is hard.

Ha

My commute is 1 hour and 20 minutes each way. About an hour of that is a train ride. I use the train time to read the news, catch up on email, stare out the window. It goes by very quickly and is relaxing. Driving the same distance (about 35 miles) takes an hour at best, and there is no way I could do it daily if I had to drive. The stop and go traffic is brutal.

I would love to have a shorter commute to allow for more time with my family during the week. But where we are now has us on track for FIRE and it provides for a better quality of life. Our house is 1/3 what we would pay to live close in (along with lower taxes). Our lot is large with massive pecan trees. We are also within walking distance of a lake, historical downtown area, and a short ride to mountain biking trails. And we have the best schools in our metro area.

I never would have chosen to live so far in the burbs. I actually lived on Main Street in the dead center of my city before getting married and moving to my wife's house in the burbs. But after being here and seeing the quality of life it allows us to have and the financial security (house is paid for!), I wouldn't trade it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Here's the side of a short commute that I didn't like: to live near a place where I could earn a big-city salary, I'd have had to put up with lack of privacy, crappy neighbors, noise, high real estate values, high taxes to pay for city services, crime. Fifty minutes from my workplace (where homeless people were camped out in the parking garage) I was way outside the tension zone. Worth the travel time, IMO.

Exactly. I like making big-city money, but I don't like big-city (or even suburb) living. I'm willing to take a 50 minute drive each way to live where I want.

Back
Top Bottom