Our pool business as a road to retirement

Great update. Thanks, Arif!

By the way, you think you could get me a pool pass if I come visiting? ;):flowers:
Yeah, no problem, you'd be hauling the vacuum, the skimmer, and a couple gallons of chlorine...

Arif, nice to hear you are doing well in not-so-well economic times. I have to admit I'm not really surprised based on what I've seen of your business acumen. Like Harley points out you're likely to succeed because you focus on finding a new strategy rather than lamenting about one that no longer works.

IOW, you need to continue be...
Agile, mobile and hostile.

Congrats Arif! Nice to see a success story. The pool business seems like an interesting endeavor. The water and chemistry are interesting to me. But where I live I need to focus on ice rinks.

Free to canoe

Thanks everyone.
It just occurred to me that we started our business at one of the worst times in history. To tell you the truth it wasn't that bad. It made us rethink our strategy and question everything. We even thought about using vertical integration by going into the wholesale pool chemical business. We got so far as finding a supplier in India, government contract sources, and a customs broker. Ultimately we decided that this strategy didn't fit our "ultimate business" characteristics. By going through the process we realized that our dream business would be online, little to no overhead, and minimal number employees required. Does that exist? I believe so, and this year we will aggressively expand in that direction. All of this started from a way to grow our current business.

By the way, you think you could get me a pool pass if I come visiting?
Sure, but those buckets of tabs get heavy after the 7th or 8th stop in 100 degree weather.

BTW it feels weird swimming in a pool now. I constantly wonder if the chemicals are balanced.

Opportunities are everywhere, you just have to be willing to go out and grab them. I read a lot of business stories for inspiration. One of my recent favorites is this one:
Why a CEO Needs to Have a Plan B: An Interview with Jack Stack, Forecasting Article - Inc. Article
The article totally changed the way I think about business survival. Enjoy

Thanks for posting that, Arif. Its a shame more CEOs don't think like that guy. The world would be a better place.

Well Obama is proposing to "give" $5000 in tax credits to small businesses that hire employees this year. Although the specifics have not been fleshed out it hasn't stopped me from analyzing how it will affect my business. To be honest I think the tax credits should go to companies that are already in the black. Why? Well if my business wasn't making money I doubt a $5000 tax credit would help much. Now if a business that's profitable gets the credit they can use the tax credit to increase their revenue exponentially.

For example, say a company is spending $10,000 per year on advertising and from those funds they can generate $100,000 in revenue. Now if they increased their marketing budget by 50%, theoretically they should be able to increase their revenue by 50% based on the additional advertising budget. So that $5000 credit created $50,000 in additional revenue and more jobs. They could also reduce the $30 billion budget for the program down to $15 billion and use the balance to pay down gov't debt. Which should be a win win for Republicans and Democrats. Now to be sure this is a simplistic example but I think the premise is sound.

Now take a business that is losing money. That $5000 will probably go toward keeping the lights on and paying back debt. This use of the credit will produce limited growth which is what the credit is suppose to produce.

For our pool company we'll probably use the tax credit to buy another truck and more targeted advertising. For our new business (if it qualifies)we'll use it to do trade shows, lead generating services, and direct marketing.

I welcome the opinions of those that differ in my views.

The great thing about owning a business is if you search inside your business you'll learn something new everyday. I bought a book called "Duct Tape Marketing" by John Jantsch and highly recommend it.
One of the lessons that resonated with me was that every business owner has a story. I found my story while brainstorming in between each chapter. For those that don't know, my wife and I spent 11 years in the Army with 8 of those years as officers. We used all the skills that we learned in the Army but we weren't letting our prospect or customers know it. I updated our ads noting that we're veterans and that we instill in our business the same values that we learned in the Army.
I also realized we were the only pool company that was independently certified by our lead generating service. I added that little fact to all my advertising as well. Once my online ad was updated the number of calls easily doubled. I'm no longer just another pool business in town but a certified and professional pool business.
Our website is finally completed with photos of our customer pools and our certifications. We also signed up for google adwords which will be live by this week. I am a little apprehensive about adwords because I don't use them when I'm searching on google. So we'll see how that goes. As you can see we are getting ready for the busy season and so far business feels like it will be much better than last year.

Arif,

Thanks very much for your informative post and sharing your experiences. I've learned a whole lot about the pool cleaning business from you in just 20 minutes of reading.

I'm currently employed in Austin as a Web Marketing Manager, and I'm thoroughly burnt out on the corporate world. So a pool cleaning business is one of the options I'm looking into. But I do not want the hassle of employees, I'm thinking about a one man operation.

My question to you is, how well could one do in this business going it alone?

Thanks for any advice

Steve

P.S - This is my first post in the forum, I registered specifically to ask this question. But this looks to be a great forum for anyone interested in escaping the corporate grind. Also, my apologies for bumping such an old post.

Wow I forgot about this thread!
Welcome Smichener! I'll send you a pm shortly.

Back
Top Bottom