Possible big changes ahead

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
I think I mentioned a while back that my wife was in a training program which provides an opportunity to pursue an alternative or "non-traditional" path to the ministry. It looks like this ***might*** be about to bear some fruit.

There's a potential call to two different small congregations, about 10 miles apart, a couple hours east of here. They currently have an interim pastor who is looking to retire and whose contract is up at the end of the year. He and his wife are going on vacation for six weeks in late July and all of August. In a couple weeks we'll be meeting with him and representatives of each of the two congregations to talk about things. Unless it goes bad (for whatever reason) she may be serving these congregations for those six weeks as a "trial" period, and if it seems like a mutual good fit at that point she could be installed there in January on a more or less permanent basis. She'd be in a more intensive ministry training program which could, in a couple years, lead to the alternative path to full ordination (like the alternative certification process for teachers with four-year degrees but no post-baccalaureate study in the field) at which time she would be a full ordained pastor even without the seminary degree.

We talked with the pastor in our current church (he knows what's going on as much as anyone in the region) and he said this was a good possibility and good environment (he's warned against other "possible" leads in the past which didn't turn out).

I can work anywhere there's a reasonably fast and reliable Internet connection and a telephone, so that's not an issue. (I'd actually be a bit closer to Megacorp's regional office in Austin.) DW was getting frustrated with the lack of progress and possibilities despite the open calls around us, but now it looks like some wheels are finally turning.

Not being too presumptuous about it all, but cautiously hoping for the best here.

Ziggy, sounds like things might be moving in the right direction for DW and you; congratulations! Keep us posted; we always like to hear good news.

(I'll put in a good word for your DW in my prayers...:))

Sounds wonderful. Good for you and DW, seriously!

How exciting! It is so nice to hear that someone is making progress towards a longtime goal. I wish her the best of luck. :D

So within a year you could be posting about your experiences in selling your house!

Sounds like things may be moving along in mysterious ways--yay!

That is truly good news!

Ziggy, I wish you and your wife all the best and hope you keep us posted. :flowers:

Thanks, all, but it turned out that this meeting never happened at all. Apparently one of the congregations recently went through a split and tensions were pretty high, and they decided they needed an experienced person there, not someone new to ministry. They called a couple days before the meeting date and called it off.

So we remain in a holding pattern and I remain tethered to my j*b for the foreseeable future. Apparently this wasn't the right one.

Apparently one of the congregations recently went through a split and tensions were pretty high, and they decided they needed an experienced person there, not someone new to ministry. They called a couple days before the meeting date and called it off.
Be very, very thankful the split happened before, not after your DW took over as CSO (Chief Shepard Officer) ... :nonono:

Be very, very thankful the split happened before, not after your DW took over as CSO (Chief Shepard Officer) ... :nonono:
Yeah, that's what we said, really. Keep in mind the permanent call wouldn't have happened for another 8 months. If they don't think they can heal the wounds and get over the hard feelings over their congregation split in the next 8 months, it's probably not a situation she wanted to be in...

Well, it looks like even the God business is competitive!
I'm sure that God will provide for Rev. Mrs. Ziggy and her DH. :angel:

Sorry to read about this, Ziggy.

Somehow I can't shake the feeling that there is a much better position out there that will be just perfect for her when the time comes, and that when all is said and done this may be for the best.

Thanks, all, but it turned out that this meeting never happened at all. Apparently one of the congregations recently went through a split and tensions were pretty high, and they decided they needed an experienced person there, not someone new to ministry. They called a couple days before the meeting date and called it off.

So we remain in a holding pattern and I remain tethered to my j*b for the foreseeable future. Apparently this wasn't the right one.

My first thought after reading this was "it wasn't meant to be". I have a feeling there's some other place where she is needed and will make a difference. She’ll find it soon.

Back
Top Bottom