Rollover Portion of Roth?

mrinvest

Dryer sheet wannabe
I'm wondering if its possible to roll over a portion of a Roth IRA to another Roth IRA account.

If you can do this, is it advisable?

Reason I ask: I have a Roth in a account not doing so great and I'm looking at taking a portion of it and putting it another Roth at another institution.

Publication 590 (2008), Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Hopefully this link gets to right place .....otherwise check table of contents and
click on Rollover From Roth. Be sure to read also the rules for rollover in that
section......including the 60 day rule and the 12 month rule.

Sometimes institutions will charge you for doing a direct transfer . Sometimes they might not charge you if you do a rollover so there advantages/disadvantages of both.
Yes, you can rollover or direct transfer a portion.

I'm wondering if its possible to roll over a portion of a Roth IRA to another Roth IRA account.

If you can do this, is it advisable?

Reason I ask: I have a Roth in a account not doing so great and I'm looking at taking a portion of it and putting it another Roth at another institution.

All you are doing is changing custodians. Yes, that is possible and done all the time. As for "not doing so great", what's up with that? One should probably pick their custodian for the lowest fees (Vanguard, Wells Fargo come to mind), then pick the investment that helps fulfill your asset allocation plan. Since you will be using a low-expense ratio index fund for the investment, if it is "not doing so great", then nothing is doing great.

Back
Top Bottom