"Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

The problem with that site is that it only looks at income, and not net worth or even cost of living. An amusing link, but nothing more, IMO.

This is a good topic, Laurence. I remember about 6 months ago talking to a friend about my early retirement theories (yah, I won't be dumb enough to do that again) and something similar came up. Basically, you have to find that middle ground between miser and spendthrift.

As much as I enjoy watching my net worth creep up ever so slowly, I still try to remember to take nice vacations or to buy a new video game that I like now and then so I can remember what I'm working so hard for. Plus when my friends hear about my $500/night hotel stays, they forget that I won't pay $8 to go to the movies and are fooled into believing I'm "one of them" ;)

Never wish away today, ER is a noble goal, but slaving twenty years and missing out on life isn't the way to get there. I came home last night to find my wife, her cousin and both of our daughters playing slumber party. A $40 steak on the company (well sort of, I'm on Per Diem) is nice, but home is nicer. :)

...great, just as I type this my cat coughed up a hairball at my feet. :p Welcome home.

Ninja -

I am with you on being picky when it comes to expenditures. You will always remember your trips and vacations. I doubt you will remember some crappy movie you spent $8 to see. Traveling is worth every nickel.

Laurence -I'm so happy for you that success is right at your feet. It couldn't happen to a better guy. Like I said before, you're still young and you haven't even reached your peak earning potential yet.

Hey, I agree with you. I am still working and having fun - although planning and learning for/about retirement. My challenge is balancing play with saving - I want to do more of each.

One of the things I did that made working better is move to where I like to vacation. I used to live in northeast Arkansas and now live in Pensacola Florida. I love Pensacola (not to big not to little, fishing, diving, beach, seafood, all with Southern Culture - there is never enough time to do all the things I want to) and before hurricane Ivan (hurricanes are the downside of living here) real estate was the same price as NE Ark. I plan to live here when I retire in 10 years.

I am in commercial real estate lending and the market here is unreal. I used to be happy when I landed $400-$500K deals, now
$5 million is common.

I did not know a soul here before I moved, but am very glad I did. My family and friends thought I was crazy to move, but now they all want to visit to vacation - and then hate to go back to NE Ark.

OK my braggin is done.

Great topic Laurence...I am really new to the board but I feel like I am among friends I have known for years. I am a savings freak (like most of you all) and I have made some good decisions and taken some risks in my 35 years. I am very pleased with my 800k+ net worth and 100k+ year job. I have two indulgences however......Clothes and Travel.....

Every year I go on a HUGE shopping spree at an annual sale for my favorite designer...St. John (www.stjohnknits.com). I spend between 4 and 5k, but I grab at least 15 to 20k in clothes and I DON'T shop AT ALL the rest of the year. I have a wonderful wardrobe, but I drive a 1996 Ford Contour so there are trade offs. I also have expensive travel tastes....Every year I take a trip to St. John USVI, I picked up Starwood (Westin) timeshare in 2000. In addition to my annual carribbean trip, I usually take a trip to Mexico or go overseas for 10-14 day excursions. Bragging over :D

Balance is one of my favorite words and a guiding principle for my life. It is great to save thousands of dollars a year and watch the $$$$ pile up, but my life experieces and perspectives are more shaped by my interactions with the ecology around me versus the financial statements that come in the mail every quarter. I believe we all need an outlet where we can express ourselves, wind down or just be silly or frivilous.

I am wondering what others motivations are outside of early retirement? As I get older I am finding that money for moneys sake is not very rewarding. I relish having my "wants" more and more.

Retire_tingle,
welcome to the board -- I agree with you that life has got to be more than one long saving-fest, and that somehow we've got to find the fun in amidst every day even if we aren't to ER yet. It's not as though suddenly the day you ER life goes from black-and-white to color. If you haven't figured out how to have fun along the way, it isn't something you can learn in a day.

So while I can't relate to spending 4-5k on clothes in one sale (i'm a guy, what can I say) I understand the fun that a trip to St John or Mexico can mean even if it does cost a bit more. Keep it up -- sounds like you're finding the right balance.

So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire. There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!

Well, I couldn't respond to your post earlier, because I just got back from 8 wonderful days in Costa Rica! :)

Karen

Great Karen - I am sure you had a great time in Costa Rica. I haven't been there yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about the country. There are a lot of retired americans living there too!

When I was in my early 40's I was anticipating retirement at 50. (saving, skimping, worrying). Then a few friends in their 50's started hitting walls with heart problems and other medical malaise's, that it came to me, you better start enjoying today.

Took 150k, had a boat build with a local builder, had a BLAST deep sea fishing for 4+ years. Sold boat, use friends, (who work too much) boats, and now am retireing at 50 1/2. The money I lost in the boat I would of lost in the market when it took it's hit a few years back. .. never to have had the experiences I had.

Avoiding risk in one area, can create it in others. Finding balance is key. Sometimes that means enjoying life with what is givin you now, and assisting the future, for dreams you have for later.

I started a business, and finally took my leap into real estate investing.

I started what is becoming a very successful air duct cleaning business....that will put an extra 20-30k/yr in ym pocket!

I just bought my first rehab. I plan on holding onto this home for 1 yr and turning more than a 25k profit

Thefed....

Glad to hear the business is working out for you.
And you got the house you bid on? WTG

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
huh, I think this is more positive than the typical "My job sucks" thread that periodically pops up. ;)

That's true Maddy but Shortimer makes a great point (one of the downsides of this board). Lauarence, you da man! :D I still look forward to goin to work, makin money and hangin out with co-workers friends and family. If I spend too much time here I get down on work.

Back
Top Bottom