"Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So, I know this is an Early Retirement board, and we all have our eyes on the prize, but for those of us young dreamers who have years, if not decades to go. we should remember to enjoy the here and now. You should never wish away today, you never know how many tomorrows you have. This is my way of starting a thread that is mostly bragging. :D

So I was sent out to handle a crisis at our New York facility, locked it down, impressed the heck out of the customer and management, and made it look effortless. Tonight over some Glenlivet on the rocks, and a Filet Mignon with a nice Pinot Nior I engaged in the first round of polite negotiations with the senior something or other about a new position being created for me. I was engaging but noncomittal, interested in where this might lead in the months to come, but mostly savoring another job well done.

So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire. There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!

Sure, here is my "live for today" contribution. As some of you may or may not know I got outta grad school in Dec. I had my "dream job" interview last December but didn't get the position. I have since returned home and began looking for some positions around my area. I am still being considered for a Fed position but the next step in the process is taking forever. The govt. isn't the fastest moving animal.

I asked to the Fed agency to base me out west, my dream location - I am an outdoors freak. My big "live for today" move will be to go out west - Colorado - even if I don't get the Fed job. I doubt I will get much support from the risk averse people in my family but I don't care - I only have me to support. I just have that "gut" feeling that it is time to go. Come May, I will living in a place that makes me happy and fulfilling a promise to myself. I doubt I will ever look back.

Well said, Laurence.

You can't hold your breath all the way until ER -- it takes a long time and you've got to enjoy the ride even as you know you won't ride that one forever.

I've alway felt that there are two ways to get to ER -- you can save your way there (most of the posts here on the board deal with this route) or you can earn your way to ER -- by nailing the promotion and the raise, landing the big investor in your new venture, selling the big deal to the big client, whatever. Sounds like you're on your way to the latter, which can be a lot more fun and maybe even quicker.

Good job and next time take your Glenlivet 'neat' the way the Scots do it!

Maybe I can't handle it "neat" cuz I'm Irish!

WC, definitely make the move, Colorado is the state I would live in if I was banned from Cali, it is awesome. I am sure you won't regret it!

laurence, first of all I would not have a Pinot with a Filet, that is definitly where you either have a Shiraz or a Chateau Neuf, or a nice Bordeaux. .

Secondly, Scotch WITH WATER, Robbie Burns would spin in his grave.

I know Colorado very well, head office was in Boulder, a Californian attitude with a Colorado lifestyle does not mix.

Colorado is getting busy, highways are being slashed throughout the state, many areas getting too populated.

Real Estate is also very pricy, what sold for $120,000 a few years ago now fetches $400,000.

wildcat said:
Sure, here is my "live for today" contribution.  As some of you may or may not know I got outta grad school in Dec.  I had my "dream job" interview last December but didn't get the position.  I have since returned home and began looking for some positions around my area.  I am still being considered for a Fed position but the next step in the process is taking forever.  The govt. isn't the fastest moving animal.

I asked to the Fed agency to base me out west, my dream location - I am an outdoors freak.  My big "live for today" move will be to go out west - Colorado - even if I don't get the Fed job.  I doubt I will get much support from the risk averse people in my family but I don't care - I only have me to support.  I just have that "gut" feeling that it is time to go.  Come May, I will living in a place that makes me happy and fulfilling a promise to myself.  I doubt I will ever look back. 

Hey good luck on your Fed job! Hope you get the location you want. I love CO too but as Max said, real estate is very expensive. I have a nephew that lives out there and he had to reqruit several roommates just to survive. But it is a beautiful state!  8)

So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire.  There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!

This is very true and something I struggle with.  I find myself constantly wishing I could fast-forward to ER, but I'm basically at the point where there isn't much I can realistically do to speed things up.  It's like starting to count down to the end of the school year on day 1.

One indulgence of mine is travel.  Last summer I drove 5500 miles through 9 states and 10 national parks over 2 weeks, camping in a tent.  2 summers ago I drove down all the way to Key West ( from MN ).  I've also sprinkled in flights to Denver and Yuma to visit friends and family over the years.  I grew up taking many camping trips (you could say I got spoiled) and it's in my blood.  I could genuinely sing the song "I've been everywhere".  This year, I'm going to try to stay cheap, because I am planning a trip to Australia before I turn 30.  I'm targetting either spring or fall 2007.

Laurence said:
So, I know this is an Early Retirement board, and we all have our eyes on the prize, but for those of us young dreamers who have years, if not decades to go. we should remember to enjoy the here and now. You should never wish away today, you never know how many tomorrows you have. This is my way of starting a thread that is mostly bragging. :D

So I was sent out to handle a crisis at our New York facility, locked it down, impressed the heck out of the customer and management, and made it look effortless. Tonight over some Glenlivet on the rocks, and a Filet Mignon with a nice Pinot Nior I engaged in the first round of polite negotiations with the senior something or other about a new position being created for me. I was engaging but noncomittal, interested in where this might lead in the months to come, but mostly savoring another job well done.

So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire. There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!

I dropped out of college...... ;)

Laurence said:
Great topic Laurence. Having a good job that you can enjoy the rewards today is important for your mental health.

I took my job in northern BC just to have something I love doing. I'm halfway between two departments: Sales and Technical. So I get all the sales benifits of expense account, truck, flexable hours and I still get to do some engineering (which was my degree).

I love my job, but I do want to get to some other long terms plans in 17 years or so.

CF

Since this is a bragging thread, I'll say that I have had seven piano and trombone gigs this month!  Some of them even paid.  

But I bring it up because this morning I found myself thinking about how these gigs could lead to other gigs, or about how if so-and-so heard us we might get hired, etc.  instead of just enjoying the great gigs we've got.  IOW, you always have to guard against wishing away today.

TromboneAl said:
Since this is a bragging thread, I'll say that I have had seven piano and trombone gigs this month!  Some of them even paid.  

But I bring it up because this morning I found myself thinking about how these gigs could lead to other gigs, or about how if so-and-so heard us we might get hired, etc.  instead of just enjoying the great gigs we've got.  IOW, you always have to guard against wishing away today.

Starting to sound like w@ork to me. :D

BTW Laurence, nice going on the job front.

RE - Colorado is expensive. True, but I haven't found too many desirable places out west that are cheap.

Hummm, I live in Colorado Springs, and I don't think Colorado is that expensive in general. Boulder, and places like Aspen, are a different story. On the other hand there are some places like Pueblo and Grand Junction that I think are real bargains.

Coach

I lived in colorado springs for about 6 months through the winter when Digital first opened the technical support center there.

Unless its a lot nicer and global warming has done some work, I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Littleton - four years - ok but I thought Colorado was both too cold and butt ugly compared to the Mt. St. Helens area where I grew up.

Others - of course - held different opinions and it was my first time living back East.

heh heh heh

I love to brag. Who doesn't?
As I've mentioned before (but never get tired of mentioning), I only work 4 days a week. Not 4 10s, just 4 days. Took a paycut to get it, but it's totally worth it. (Similarly, my wife works full time but gets the summer off. Ends up working about the same number of days as I do.)
And in a couple of years, we're going to take a year off from work altogether to tour the country
Life is good. :)

Tim

I'm switching to 9/80s next week, not nearly as good, but I'm looking forward to it! Right now I wish I had an earlier flight home. Sitting bored in the hotel room. I guess I'll turn in. :p

how did this turn into a bummer thread?

Does anyone here ponder how lucky we are to be sitting at our computers, many have great kids, spouses,good friends, a warm house, a fridge full of food and bank accounts rising. We are intelligent, and able to direct ourselves towards living a full life in all aspects.

GET OVER IT. Go to work, do your best and plan for the future the best you can. In the meantime, play music, paint pictures, take walks, smell the roses, follow your favorite basketball team etc.

I can imagine most people who post here are in the top five to ten percent of income/net worth people on the PLANET. Be thankful.

I can imagine most people who post here are in the top five to ten percent of income/net worth people on the PLANET. Be thankful.

Haha no way am I in that boat.

Coach - I could be wrong but it seems the expensive part about Colorado is mainly the real estate, no? Everything else seemed reasonable.

Unless its a lot nicer and global warming has done some work, I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

If you stay inside all winter I am sure it did suck, just like the drizzle in the Pac NW can drive people crazy if they stay inside the entire time. When I was in CO it seemed to feel really cold at night but the day was fine with the sun being out quite a bit.

how did this turn into a bummer thread?

huh, I think this is more positive than the typical "My job sucks" thread that periodically pops up. ;)

wildcat said:
Coach - I could be wrong but it seems the expensive part about Colorado is mainly the real estate, no?  Everything else seemed reasonable.

Sounds about right. Real estate in many parts of CO is way out of whack with the local job market/incomes, and it probably means that those who aggressively leveraged houses they can't really afford will be sorry. Other than that, cost of living seems quite reasonable compared to many other areas.

Naturally, this excludes places like Aspen, etc.

Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
I lived in colorado springs for about 6 months through the winter when Digital first opened the technical support center there.
But it's a dry cold!

My father enjoys the heck outta hiking the Rockies near Grand Junction. Whenever he visits here he's bothered by the humidity (he can literally smell the water in the air) and the heat. Whenever we're in Colorado we're gasping for breath...

brewer12345 said:
Sounds about right. Real estate in many parts of CO is way out of whack with the local job market/incomes, and it probably means that those who aggressively leveraged houses they can't really afford will be sorry. Other than that, cost of living seems quite reasonable compared to many other areas.

Naturally, this excludes places like Aspen, etc.
This is truer than I thought. National Realtors Association, median existing home prices http://tinyurl.com/koyl2 are 207.3 US, 348.4 Boulder, 204.4 Colorado Springs and 247.1 Denver.

Coach

wildcat said:
Haha no way am I in that boat.

Wish I could find it, but there was a web site where you could put your income in and it'd tell you what percentile you fell in for the US and the world. IIRC anything over 35-40k put you in the top 5% in the world.

Back
Top Bottom