Stay for a comfortable job?

Spanky

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you stay for a comfortable job? That is, you are familiar with the tasks and the working environment. In addition, you are working in a "stable' industry and having 4 weeks of vacations and a decent (10%) year-end bonus.

Would be ever consider taking a job in a different industry that requires a new sets of skills but more interesting work? The new company, located only 3 miles from your home (compared to 30 miles), offers 3 weeks of vacation and no bonus. The pay is 10% higher.

Let's supposed you are planning to retire in 5 years and already financially independent.

This sounds like "Lets Make a Deal"

would you trade what you have now for what's behind door number 3 :confused:

Old Job ...

Stable is good, comfortable is good, lots of vacation is good, bonus is good.

New Job...

interesting is good, short commute is good, higher pay is good, no bonus is bad.

What is unknown is what you'll have to do at the new job - maybe you'll have to really hustle, work nights and weekends, or work for a tyrant - Who knows.

It isn't always money that makes people change jobs. There is usually something wrong at the existing job that makes you shop around. One thing that I have learned over the years that you may not have thought of is... Money aside you can really lose when you change jobs. You thinks it's bad where you are now... Well just imagine how much worse it could really be. Sometimes you come out ahead at the new job, and sometimes you don't.

really - Only you can decide this issue. And even if you decide one way or the other, you really won't know what you're into for 6 months or so.

Good luck with your decision.

For much of my life I was a Fed, but the HR dynamics are the same as private industry. Three productive professionals moved from one Region to another. At a coctail party the Regional Director accused me of 'stealing' his best. I did my best 'who me, not me' look. Basically people left becaue their former working conditons were bad.

The reason why people look for another position is disappointment. It could be because they work for a jerk, or because they want more compensation. Sometimes it is for family reasons.

IMHO if your ER date is only a few years away and the job is OK, better the devil you know than the devil you don't know. If you have more time to recoup the ups and downs of employment choices, go for the gold.

Uncertainty is really slowing down my decision. What if the new job does not work out? I can always find another one. Since I am already FI, I can afford not working for a while. The main reason to seek another position is that the company has halted most of the R&D projects and assigned half of its R&D staff to perform failure mode effect analysis and improve manufacturing process to prevent product failures in the field. They say the assignment is only temporary but may be extended for 2 years. Nearly all people assigned to the new project are not trained nor interested in becoming a quality or component engineer. These are research scientists, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers and software engineers.

The new assignment at the current company is boring in comparison to the position under consideration. This position (being considered) would allow me to learn more about embedded system design and programming DSPs (digital signal processors).

If you have achieved FI opt for the job that gives you the highest reward. :D You have nothing but your time at risk.

I like my comfortable job where I know everyone and everyone knows me. Given what you describe, I would choose the current (old) job and that would be a good decision for me.

My spouse needs variety and change on a regular basis. He would choose the new job and that would be a good decision for him.

Each of us has different needs. Which choice will be the right choice for you?

Linney said:
I like my comfortable job where I know everyone and everyone knows me. Given what you describe, I would choose the current (old) job and that would be a good decision for me.

My spouse needs variety and change on a regular basis. He would choose the new job and that would be a good decision for him.

Each of us has different needs. Which choice will be the right choice for you?
It's hard to decide, but I am leaning toward the new one.

Spanky said:
It's hard to decide, but I am leaning toward the new one.
Sounds like you have already made your decision ;) !

Spanky said:
Let's supposed you are planning to retire in 5 years and already financially independent.

If you are FI and plan to retire in 5 years, what difference does it make? You plan to be retired in 5 years anyway. If the challenge really turns you on and it is something you have always wanted to do, then change would be my choice. If you are just looking for a comfortable chair to occupy for the next 5 years, I would stay put! BTW, you could retire NOW!-- :D

Career change advice is as difficult to give as it is to receive. So consider what all this advice costs you before you make your final decision. ;)

DOG52 said:
If you are FI, why not retire? Thats better than the 2 options you are considering. :)

Retiring is good, but I am not ready. I still have a daughter who will be going to college next year. More importantly, I do not have a retirement plan. That is, what will I be doing all day? I am sure all of you who are retired can come up with a long list.

Thanks.

Spanky

How much does the commute everyday figure into this? Is the 30 miles and easy drive or is it wracked with stress and traffic? Does it take you a half hour to get to work or is it more on the hour side? Would it give you time on each end of your day to relax and enjoy life?

Outtahere said:
How much does the commute everyday figure into this? Is the 30 miles and easy drive or is it wracked with stress and traffic? Does it take you a half hour to get to work or is it more on the hour side? Would it give you time on each end of your day to relax and enjoy life?

The commute time is 45 minutes each way. The traffic is not bad. The commute time may become 2 hours during a bad snow day. The new commute time will be less than 10 minutes. I do not even have to get into any highway.

Based on your FI, I would suggest that judging each opp based on monies, should be much lower than judging based on your personal satisfaction requirements, i.e. desire to learn new, more...

Couple questions for you.

1. How much do you do outside of work ? The outside work hours required to learn a new job may eat into an already tight personal schedule. Like time with kids, volunteering, etc.

2. How much of you is your job ? Meaning, is it a critical part of your ID. It is for me. If it is, 5 yrs in a deadend job would be pure torture.

HelpMeRhonda said:
Based on your FI, I would suggest that judging each opp based on monies, should be much lower than judging based on your personal satisfaction requirements, i.e. desire to learn new, more...

Couple questions for you.

1. How much do you do outside of work ? The outside work hours required to learn a new job may eat into an already tight personal schedule. Like time with kids, volunteering, etc.

2. How much of you is your job ? Meaning, is it a critical part of your ID. It is for me. If it is, 5 yrs in a deadend job would be pure torture.

Money is not the issue. I will have more time with my family and do more work at the house. I can even have lunch with my wife (working 2 miles away).

Thanks for asking.

Less of a commute. More time with family. Probably more interesting work. I would go for it.

My experience is that whenever I took the job with higher pay I ended up both happier and richer. Sitting in the same job for decades on end is boring and ultimately being bored creates bad habits and negative attitiudes. In your case it is more money and you get to learn something new too! If it were me - Goodbye boring hello NEW!!! Sounds like a winner. I'd go for it. :)

Martha and Alex,

Thanks for those encouraging words. I have decided to pursue the opportunity. Sometimes it is hard to say goodbye.

Paul

Congrats.

I, for one, think you're doing the right thing. Except for being on the "brink" of ER, my scenario was almost identical to the one you described (this was a few years ago). I also opted for the job that's just a few miles away vs. 45 minutes away. Closer to home means more time with family. More money never hurts, either. I've been super happy and hope you will be as well.

Best of luck.

Your post is timely for me. This past March I was faced with a similar decision. In my case the career change was with the same company and I was not able to reduce my commute. I made the move knowing that failing in this new position would end my career with company I've been with for over 13 years. At the moment loving every minute of it - lots of new challenges - work is actually interesting / fun again. Still have all of the bullsh** associated with a public company though. Trying to hang for few more years (8) which would get my 3 kids through college.

Good luck to us Both!!!

Back
Top Bottom