Taking Action - Beginning the Move

StealthSlacker

Confused about dryer sheets
After much reflection, we've crafted a plan to jump start our next step towards FIRE. We are married, mid-career Megacorp nerds in our early 40's who live in a high cost area of Sacramento, have no debt except the mortgage on the house, no kids, and decent savings. Facing increasingly difficult work environments, having just come through a serious illness, and having aging parents who need more and more help, we have decided to transform our living situation. The book "Your Money or Your Life" got us started down this path a few months ago, and we have been working on an exit strategy that we can begin sooner rather than later.

We have the ability to telework 90% of the time and are going to take advantage of it by moving to a lower cost area where we own some property near my family. It will require selling our current home and living in our motorhome while we build a modest house, while still keeping our corporate jobs for as long as we can.

The plan gets us out of the city, lets us spend more time with family, and allows us to build a net-zero energy home with no mortgage debt. It will allow us to quit the corporate jobs much sooner, and do something local or telework to make enough for living expenses, healthcare, taxes, etc. until we are old enough to withdraw from our retirement savings.

It is all about reallocation of resources for us - we have decided to live a more valuable life, simply put. Most of our value has been given over to our employers, and we want it back. It is very exciting!

Wow, congratulations on your plans for the big move! I'm sure your families will appreciate having you in the neighborhood soon. I hope the serious health issues were treated and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom