Tales from a botched reorg

Teams always try to slough off rotten wood. Better to accept no one unless your boss picks them when s/he has the option of none of the above.

And my immediate boss (with whom I am friendly) was just given 2 hours to pick one of 3 people coming to our wider group. We frantically put out feelers and ask around as discreetly as possible and found out that they are the B team at best. Now lets see if we get any of these people, nobody, or someone entirely different.
Sounds like it's worth going port & stbd with the existing bunch rather than take on someone who'll turn it into a three-section watchbill-- with two of the sections cleaning up for the mess created by the third.

I read a submarine collision report where one of the contributing factors was that one watch section was so bad, their data was routinely ignored during turnover and they were actually hustled out of the spaces (instead of prolonging the turnover with a more thorough discussion about the tracking data) so that the "cleanup" could begin. The investigators actually went out of their way to show that the OOD on watch during the collision had been set up by his preceding watchstanders.

Unfortunately the only one who loses if they don't fill the personnel gap is your boss, who is perceived to be not capable of managing as many people as the other managers. Nobody would believe him if he said he could get more done with fewer people.

Unfortunately the only one who loses if they don't fill the personnel gap is your boss, who is perceived to be not capable of managing as many people as the other managers. Nobody would believe him if he said he could get more done with fewer people.

Of he three of us, I will probably ink my deal formally tomorrow, my coworker has applied and gotten a response from another firm, and the boss has a foot and a half out the door and has investigated alternatives in his old career. Ain't gonna be anybody of the current crew left to blame at this rate.

Of he three of us, I will probably ink my deal formally tomorrow, my coworker has applied and gotten a response from another firm, and the boss has a foot and a half out the door and has investigated alternatives in his old career. Ain't gonna be anybody of the current crew left to blame at this rate.

I hope someone will stick around long enough to say to your new transfer, "Welcome aboard! I stand relieved" while passing them the Mystery Bag. It's sort of traditional... :cool:

Gotta admit that's the most efficient solution to this problem.

And you're all doing your part to reduce the "corporate" expense burden!

I hope someone will stick around long enough to say to your new transfer, "Welcome aboard! I stand relieved" while passing them the Mystery Bag. It's sort of traditional... :cool:
Eh, just enter "Secured the watch" in the log, turn out the lights, and ship the paperwork to the archives... but leave the "Mystery Bag" tucked in the corner of a closet for the next unsuspecting tenant.

So brewer, did you sign the offer? inquiring minds...

lhamo

So brewer, did you sign the offer? inquiring minds...

lhamo

Yes, we came to terms. They managed to come to my floor after getting over their sticker shock. Now we are discussing start dates. Looking like first half of July, which will be a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, we can crash with the in-laws for a short period if we have not quite closed on a house by then. Working hard to get our existing home on the market quickly. We are meeting with a realtor this afternoon.

We will break the news to the kids this weekend and I will be telling my immediate family next week (younger sister already knows). The reactions have been mixed, with my mother upset and playing the "seep it under the rug game." This will be a stressful few weeks for me, since my existing job is also in crunch time.

Brewer, congrats. And my sister had some of the same experiences with my mom when they moved to VT for a really good job offer. Just soldier on and remember that YOU know what is best for YOUR family, no matter what the extended family thinks of it.

YAY for the Brewers! :)

Brewer, congrats. And my sister had some of the same experiences with my mom when they moved to VT for a really good job offer. Just soldier on and remember that YOU know what is best for YOUR family, no matter what the extended family thinks of it.

YAY for the Brewers! :)

Thanks. The view I have come to is that I have quietly soldiered on unappily and stressed for a decade and I am finally doing the right thing for me which I can only do because I saved my pennies and worked hard. Everyone can either get on the bus or get out of the way.

Congratulations Brewer. You will go through many emotions during the next 6 months. Just remember that this too shall pass. In 18 months, I am willing to bet you will be very satisfied with the move. You will discover some good things that you had not considered.

And I appreciate you sharing this experience here. It might make some other dissatisfied people make the move. It is never too late for a new beginning...

Congratulations!

Keep the end goal & date in mind every time you feel things are getting too stressful. All the best.

Thanks. The view I have come to is that I have quietly soldiered on unhappily and stressed for a decade and I am finally doing the right thing for me which I can only do because I saved my pennies and worked hard. Everyone can either get on the bus or get out of the way.

Exactly. This is why it's important to LBYM. Freedom of choice. Being miserable is no way to go through life.

Exciting time!
Here's wishing you a smooth transition. Wash it down with the new beers you'll have to try.

Thanks. The view I have come to is that I have quietly soldiered on unappily and stressed for a decade and I am finally doing the right thing for me which I can only do because I saved my pennies and worked hard. Everyone can either get on the bus or get out of the way.

Excellent point. Good luck and it sounds like it was very much the right decision.

You are doing the right thing for your family and your profession. Life is too short to put up with BS.

You have to try, hope it works out well for you.

I always felt that a job change meant 'different bulls, same sh*t' or 'different faces, same a$$h*les'.

With luck, YMMV.

Good luck on your new adventure and good job on changing the work environment. Changing jobs and location will sure fill your days for a few months. While in 'change' mode I like to start with things closest to me that I can control. I always start the new job with a 6 pack of new underwear and a new attitude.

PS: I heard Johnny Carson never wore the same pair twice.

Congratulations! Hope this turns out to be a positive change for you and your family and that it helps you move even more quickly toward your FI goals.

Is this the same mother who can't be bothered to help out with the grandkids from time to time? geez. As if she has a say in any of this now...

lhamo

Good luck on the change.

Better watch out. This can become habit forming.

Saw a help wanted sign recently.

Attachments

• Help Wanted.jpg
    Help Wanted.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 16
Is this the same mother who can't be bothered to help out with the grandkids from time to time? geez. As if she has a say in any of this now...

lhamo

I have (mostly) dealt with that one and let it go. I hope that my side of the family can be bothered to visit from time to time. We will certainly make the effort to come back and visit.

House lists on the 20th, so we have a lot to do in a short time.

Oh, a classic for the ages:

The Grand Poohbah has decreed that all meetings shall end 5 minutes early so that people are not late for their next meetings (which of itself speaks volumes). So what does a dysfunctional front line manager who I escaped last year do? Running from conference room to conference room climbing the furniture so that she can sync all the wall clocks with their Blackberry.

As Dave Barry liked to say, "I am not making this up."

Back
Top Bottom