The Real Reasons You're Working So Hard

SteveR

Moderator Emeritus
I read this today on Yahoo Finance. It has some good points about why those of us on the Corp. treadmill are working so hard.

http://biz.yahoo.com/special/workhard05_article1.html

The crux of the article is that technology has progressed at a much faster rate than management's ability to delegate their responsibility to those given the task to make things happen as quickly as possible. The end result is worker-bees run around like crazy trying to keep up with data and communications but management is lagging far behind in being able to effectively manage at the speed required to succeed in today's global market place.

I would agree with most of what was stated having been there and done that myself. However, I made my move to a different type of company and the data overload is far less as are the hours required to keep the boss happy.

Technology has rendered most upper middle managers obsolete....the problem is they haven't gone away. So the allegedly "empowered" people who do the work spend an inordinate amount of their time trying to get the egos up to speed on the business, & convince them that the right course of action really was their idea all along. Can't say I miss that....accountability without decision space wasn't much fun.

Back
Top Bottom