Things I Will Not Miss

Unnecessarily excessive legalese. My employer has issued new rules for regular telecommuters. I will never do so because the command and control culture penalizes telecommuters heavily. But now people who have been doing so for years will have to sign a 4 page legal agreement with 15 specific articles chock full of legalese.

Reading posts from folks still working who feel compelled to trash their employers in every thread but have no problem cashing the paychecks that will allow them to ER.
Employers and employees are in a mutually exploitative relationship. There is nothing unusual or illegitimate about that; and it certainly doesn't require that either side be 100% uncritical of the other (especially in private).

It's the ones that never complain and go about every day with a smile on their face that I worry about. They are the ones that will never have an impact.
We Woosters can wear the mask [P.G. Wodehouse]. ;)

Unnecessarily excessive legalese. My employer has issued new rules for regular telecommuters. I will never do so because the command and control culture penalizes telecommuters heavily. But now people who have been doing so for years will have to sign a 4 page legal agreement with 15 specific articles chock full of legalese.
Are you blaming your employer or a couple of fine guys named Sarbanes and Oxley. While I think you work for the feds (and S-Ox doesn't apply) since they passed it, they try to surpass it.

Are you blaming your employer or a couple of fine guys named Sarbanes and Oxley. While I think you work for the feds (and S-Ox doesn't apply) since they passed it, they try to surpass it.

SOx does not apply to my employer. This is all self-inflicted. The most hilarious thing is that this is tucked into a communique that purports to help reinforce the importance of work/life balance and flexible work arrangements. Ha!

A friend of mine who is still at a megacorp told me this story. His employer had an annual survey of employees to obtain their feedbacks. Although the individual responses were anonymous, the replies were grouped by departments (Web replies, hence traceable).

His department was deemed deficient in some areas, meaning having employee unhappiness in such areas as career advancement, job satisfaction, etc... :(

So, the decree from HR was that departmental meetings shall be held every week to search for remedies! :eek:

Talk about "the beating shall continue until the morale improves!". :ROFLMAO:

Needless to say, next year, every category surveyed came back with near 100% satisfaction. Happy, happy!!! :LOL:

I work for the Feds in IT and Sarbanes and Oxley has hit us hard.

Attachments

• fnA.jpg
    fnA.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 108
A famous quote from someone quotable:

"They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work."

True freedom is knowing you can walk out the door at anytime and not give a crap. A long time ago, far, far away, when I was a young whippersnapper, an extremely high level public servant saw me in the hall one day and commented "I see you in the hall a lot - I hope it doesn't hinder your career." Being a recent Army veteran and not missing a beat, I replied "Interesting, I also see you in the hall a lot." He never said a word to me again.

For some reason, I really like the movie Office Space - I do my best to emulate the main character :cool: - at various levels, I think I have succeeded.

My husband works for a small business (about 100 people). Someone asked the boss, "how many people work for you?" He answered, "about half".

I don't miss the people that confused tough & demanding with rude and offensive.

I also will not miss the phrases I hear every year at budget time - "do more with less" and "the bar has been raised". I am pretty sure I must be doing everything with nothing by now. And I have simply given up looking for the bar. I think I lost sight of that about 5 years ago.

When it comes down to it there isn't anything at all, except a few people, that I miss from work.

I work for the Feds in IT and Sarbanes and Oxley has hit us hard.

Interesting. Do you know if it's required or just window dressing? Having retired three years ago, my recollections of S-Ox was that is was only required by companies publicly traded on US exchanges. That would let the feds off the hook but they might like to appear "compliant". It's also possible that I have managed to forget my most unpleasant experiences.

A friend of mine who is still at a megacorp told me this story. His employer had an annual survey of employees to obtain their feedbacks. Although the individual responses were anonymous, the replies were grouped by departments (Web replies, hence traceable).

His department was deemed deficient in some areas, meaning having employee unhappiness in such areas as career advancement, job satisfaction, etc... :(

So, the decree from HR was that departmental meetings shall be held every week to search for remedies! :eek:

Talk about "the beating shall continue until the morale improves!". :ROFLMAO:

Needless to say, next year, every category surveyed came back with near 100% satisfaction. Happy, happy!!! :LOL:

"We'll have these meetings twice a day until we find out why productivity is down."
--Mad Magazine

In the 70-80s, I read that the Commies economies were in such bad shape because they were too busy talking about productivity that they forgot to work.

Now, the Chinese are working their butt off producing things that the world wants, while the former free-world countries are slacking off and spend more time designing slogans and empty mission statements instead of working.

It's bleak! We are doomed!

I also will not miss the phrases I hear every year at budget time - "do more with less" and "the bar has been raised". I am pretty sure I must be doing everything with nothing by now. And I have simply given up looking for the bar. I think I lost sight of that about 5 years ago.

"Work smarter not harder."

Today I recalled something I really do not miss:

Gum chewers who want to share the experience. They go out of their way to make sure everyone sees and hears the entire experience.

One time I was sitting at a computer terminal between two of the pigs. I had to leave and go outside so I wouldn't vomit.

Another one:

Boredom. I don't consider myself easily bored, but there are limits. After a pretty stressful, pressed 2 month period that ended last friday, all of a sudden there just isn't going on. Yesterday I was alone in the office, as the two other people I work with were off at training or home sick. So after things were taken care of by 11:30 I, um, twiddled my thumbs. For hours. Can't leave, half afraid of an unexpected visitor so don't want to obviously slack. The day crawled by like an arthritic animal looking for a place to die.

"We'll have these meetings twice a day until we find out why productivity is down."
--Mad Magazine

We used to have morning module meetings (and I believe the other shift had them, too) wherein anywhere from ten to twenty-five people sat around for an hour, explaining an outdated lot hold/machine down report to a module manager who didn't know the difference between a microchip and a potato chip. This meeting was replicated in every fab, by every process module, corporation-wide.

There's a bar down on the corner... :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom